Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: This bad karma wont die!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Toast
Ok. I was goint to supprise everyone at the G&R swap meet in Riverside on the 30th, but I need your help before then because I WANT TO DRIVE DAMMIT!!!!

Suprise is: I GOT MY 914 BACK FROM THE BODY SHOP!
Before the questions start about how it turned out, well, lets just say that the color matches and leave it at that.

Now, my problem is that sometimes it wont start. Just sometimes. WTF.gif
I've had it back from the shop for a week now and have only got to drive it 4 times, less than 7 miles each. :pout:

It seems that it wont start in the mornings, when its cooler, but will start fine in the afternoon (when the weather is warm) after it's been sitting outside all day.
It goes reer-reer-reer-reer as long as i'm turning the key. I hear the fuel pump. I have 11 volts on and 9 volts when turning over.
Just seems like the spark is missing for fire. confused24.gif

I don't know for sure, but it is probable that the body shop did not disconnect the battery when welding was done. slap.gif

Spark plugs?
Tune up?
Ground wire?
Idiots at body shop screwed something up?
Not enough battery juice?
Board?
Brain?
Not being driven for 2 1/2 months and pouting?

But why sometimes does it fire right up?

Ideas or suggestions? idea.gif
messix
idunno but maybe throw the battery on the charger, might help.
loose ground strap on the back of the tranny?
So.Cal.914
Hi. Do you have points? If so It's possable that they left the key on and your

points are Toast. biggrin.gif Sorry, couldn't help myself.

With weak spark it would be harder to start in the morning smoke.gif

Also check the battery cable clamps to see that they are tight.
craig downs
My wild guess. Could it be the cold stat valve since you live up the hill where it's
cold in the mornings.
racerx7
QUOTE(Toast @ Apr 20 2006, 11:01 PM) *

It seems that it wont start in the mornings, when its cooler, but will start fine in the afternoon (when the weather is warm) after it's been sitting outside all day.
It goes reer-reer-reer-reer as long as i'm turning the key. I hear the fuel pump. I have 11 volts on and 9 volts when turning over.
Just seems like the spark is missing for fire.

But why sometimes does it fire right up?

There is too many variable with your car coming from a body shop.

But with the little bit of information you did give.
Your battery is very marginal to bad. Charge your battery for several hours
first. Then redo test your battery.

Car not running should be over 12 volts.
car cranking, (not running) volts should be over 9.6 volts. Anything less
than 9.6 volt is a bad battery.

It is much harder to start a cold when it is cold. Your battery is marginal at
best that might be why it starts when it is warm and not when it is cold.

When it is cranking in the morning does it sound like it is turning over just
as fast as in the warmer afternoon? If it does it sounds like your car
is not getting the extra fuel it needs when it is cold.

A simple quick test to see if it is a lack of fuel, just ad some starter fluid to the
intake while your are turning it over. If it runs/starts right away, your electrical
is most likley ok.
Toast
I don't drive the 914 up the hill, stays at 800 ft. elevation. The temp. is 60's at night and 80's durring the day, so it's not really cold.

When it is cranking in the morning does it sound like it is turning over just
as fast as in the warmer afternoon?

Yes. It's the same cranking speed. If I crank it long enough, I can actually smell fuel. icon8.gif I do hear the fuel pump working. That's not saying it actually is though.
nomore9one4
It may just be the fuel filter. If the car sits all night crud may build up in the filter. Now with the car sitting shorter time things are still on the move. This is just the first thing I would check. smile.gif
sjhowitson
Just throwing a dart here. Could it be bad gas? Try putting some new gas and then tell it you love it. Rub its cute rear end, then turn its key.
Flat VW
Points or Pertronix, if points, get SliTTZ to change 'um for ya.

I have had a similar experience with points.

John wavey.gif
r_towle
new point, condensor, and plugs.
Its time to do it anyways...
Its a total cost of under 30 bucks.

Possibly get a new coild as well, if the key was left on, it could be the coil got damaged also...and you now have a weak spark.
This is all about 1 hours work.
Get the Slits master over there...have him tune it up for free...

Also, replace the fuel filter..
Assume that paint got into the intake/aircleaner...replace it.
Aside from that, if it does start,,,yet does not when its warm...its a tune up thing.
Make sure you post a nice pic when its all running so I can say HELLO BEAUTIFUL!!!

Rich
jasons
You might try holding the pedal to the floor when it does this. Don't pump it, just hold it. Normally its not the correct way to start an FI car but....

If you have a leaky cold start valve or injector, holding the pedal down will open the throttle body and let more air get into to compensate for the excess fuel. If you say you smell fuel, I bet your getting too much of it.

I think the injectors tend to leak when hot, not cold though. But its worth a try once at least.
Elliot_Cannon
Sounds to me like cheap gas. The gas has probably been in there since when it was cheap stuff. You need to add some of the new $3.25 gas they have out now. My car runs much better with the more expensive stuff. biggrin.gif
swl
morning bad, afternoon good. could it be dampness? Cap, wires? Perhaps have a look in the dark for arcing
wbergtho
Do all of the above plus add this experience to your resume. My wife's Jeep and My Chev truck had corroded battery terminals that needed cleaning. Both vehicles would start...once in a while... when they were good and god da-- ready to start...of course not when I wanted the fu---g thing to start. I know how you feel. It's really weird...but both of our cars did this to us w/in a week's time! I went and bought a new battery and everything...when I removed the battery terminals...I discovered a small bit of corrosion built up on the inside of the terminal. That's why you must at least take them off and use the terminal wire brush cleaner that all auto parts sell for about $2. Just tightening the rotten things won't reveal possible corrosion. My terminals looked like they hardly needed any cleaning...just a small amount of corrosion can fu__ everything up....and what a cheap fix. Let's hope that's all it might be. When you find out what it was...let us know? Good luck. beerchug.gif

Bill
Toast
QUOTE(jasons @ Apr 21 2006, 08:40 AM) *

You might try holding the pedal to the floor when it does this. Don't pump it, just hold it. Normally its not the correct way to start an FI car but....

If you have a leaky cold start valve or injector, holding the pedal down will open the throttle body and let more air get into to compensate for the excess fuel. If you say you smell fuel, I bet your getting too much of it.

I think the injectors tend to leak when hot, not cold though. But its worth a try once at least.

Tried that.
Toast
QUOTE(wbergtho @ Apr 21 2006, 06:41 PM) *

Do all of the above plus add this experience to your resume. My wife's Jeep and My Chev truck had corroded battery terminals that needed cleaning. Both vehicles would start...once in a while... when they were good and god da-- ready to start...of course not when I wanted the fu---g thing to start. I know how you feel. It's really weird...but both of our cars did this to us w/in a week's time! I went and bought a new battery and everything...when I removed the battery terminals...I discovered a small bit of corrosion built up on the inside of the terminal. That's why you must at least take them off and use the terminal wire brush cleaner that all auto parts sell for about $2. Just tightening the rotten things won't reveal possible corrosion. My terminals looked like they hardly needed any cleaning...just a small amount of corrosion can fu__ everything up....and what a cheap fix. Let's hope that's all it might be. When you find out what it was...let us know? Good luck. beerchug.gif

Bill

New battery terminals installed on the Red Rocks Classic run. Wired brushed before intstall.

Thanks for the replies.
Think i'll (or Slits) will start with the tune up. Probally should do the fuel pump too. Had a hot problem with that on the RRC run too.
I'll keep ya posted.
:drivinggirl:
rick 918-S
Sounds like they left the ignition switch on. Fried points, weak condensor, corrosion on the "new" terminal connections. Sorry to hear your having a bad experience. If your not happy with the car, don't pay for it. Make the shop fix it until it's right.
messix
any news? whatcha find?
Toast
I don't have tools, so i'm at the mercy of someone who does. So I have not been able to work on it yet.
Soon, I hope, soon.
Flat VW
Where is Ronnie?

SLITS..... paging SLITS...........

John alfred.gif

QUOTE(Toast @ Apr 23 2006, 11:59 AM) *

I don't have tools, so i'm at the mercy of someone who does. So I have not been able to work on it yet.
Soon, I hope, soon.

So.Cal.914
QUOTE(Toast @ Apr 23 2006, 11:59 AM) *

Soon, I hope, soon.

I cannot believe that one of you guy's has not gone to her aid ?! I would do it but

I am working on my own. Does Chivalry meen anything anymore? smoke.gif
Brando
Toasty, is the car up Brokeback Mountain or is it in Riverslime?
ClayPerrine
Toasty....

You want me to come put some Texas Mojo on your 914 on Sat? biggrin.gif

I should be able to find out why it won't start.......
Toast
It's at Ron's shop in Riverside. No way i'm taking it up the mountain anytime soon.

Clay,
Ya know, you'll miss your flight on Saturday if you start tinkering with a teener. tongue.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Toast @ Apr 25 2006, 12:15 AM) *

It's at Ron's shop in Riverside. No way i'm taking it up the mountain anytime soon.

Clay,
Ya know, you'll miss your flight on Saturday if you start tinkering with a teener. tongue.gif

It would give me an excuse to stay for the swap meet..... happy11.gif
Toast
laugh.gif

idea.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.