Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Combo Gauge Assembly
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rusty
I'm about to start assembling my own combo gauge from a kit that I received from Clay.

The kit comes with two plates - one instrument plate and one backplate. It's designed to combine oil temp, oil pressure and the fuel gauge into one instrument.

The instructions are detailed but the pictures are lacking in quality. Just photocopied pages. Also, there appears to be a photocopy of a stickers page? Maybe it's just a template on how to re-silkscreen the individual gauge modules.

A couple of questions to start:

1. Is it better to buy the oil pressure and oil temp guages new with matching senders? Seems like it would simplify thing later. Maybe it doesn't matter... I dunno.

2. About making the numbers and lines on the gauge modules line up... do I need to make stickers, pry off the needles and paste new graphics onto the modules?

I'll be posting in the classifieds for some 914 gauges to tinker with. I won't start messing with the project for a few week as I'm still in a couple of college classes.

-Rusty smoke.gif
jasons
I am getting ready to do this so I have done some homework.

I'm not sure about the senders. I think if you search you will probably find the answer. Plenty of people have used the 911 Oil press/temp gauge.

It seems like most people just plug the gauges in with the numbers located as is. It would be nice to put a decal or new silk screen on there to get them turned correctly.

Here is a link about someone elses experience.

904 triple gauge stuff

Good luck
914forme
Okay there are a couple tips I have to make this easier.

1) take your time, this is not rocket sicience it all fits it just takes some time to get it done.

2) If you can source a late style fuel gauge you can then use the late style connecttors which are so much eaiser to put into place. If not all is not lost there. It is just a pita to open up a nearly style spade connector. I willl put up a picture of the modifications this requires, its a few extra holes.

3.) The back needs to be opened up. I use a sheet metal nibbler to do this.
914forme
You can also use a jigsaw with a metal blade, or a plasma cutter if you have access.

4) You will want to make a device to hold the gauge in place while you work on it. This is not really hard, a few dowels spaced out or a plug that can be screwed to a bench or held in a vice. You place a small cloth over it to make sure you don't scratch stuff up.

You know what. Screw this.

Okay here is what I will do, this weekend I will take pictures of each step and do a photo document of the process. It might take a while to do it, but then you will have all the tips and tricks I used to do these etc. It will be simplier than me typing this all out. And hopefully it will be a classic thread, or atleast a decent reference on the process. The steps I use can be redone for about any guage, as long as you can make the face, you can build a gauge.

azbill
Get a hold of Mike "Dr. Evil" he assembled the one I have. I am sure he will tell all.

Bill Shaffer
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 21 2006, 09:14 AM) *

You can also use a jigsaw with a metal blade, or a plasma cutter if you have access.

4) You will want to make a device to hold the gauge in place while you work on it. This is not really hard, a few dowels spaced out or a plug that can be screwed to a bench or held in a vice. You place a small cloth over it to make sure you don't scratch stuff up.

You know what. Screw this.

Okay here is what I will do, this weekend I will take pictures of each step and do a photo document of the process. It might take a while to do it, but then you will have all the tips and tricks I used to do these etc. It will be simplier than me typing this all out. And hopefully it will be a classic thread, or atleast a decent reference on the process. The steps I use can be redone for about any guage, as long as you can make the face, you can build a gauge.

i thought the instructions were good when i built mine. color pics would be great!
jasons
QUOTE(914forme @ Apr 21 2006, 09:14 AM) *

Okay here is what I will do, this weekend I will take pictures of each step and do a photo document of the process.

Cool Deal! Thanks! clap56.gif
914forme
Not a problem, should have redone the instructions a long time ago with modren technology. ie color, etc......
John
My instructions are in PDF format.
Rusty
Cool... that's awesome of you to take the time to do that. Sounds like a "classic thread" in the making!

I'm starting entirely from scratch. Since the later fuel connectors are preferred, should I just get a late gauge to start with? This gauge is probably going in the (generally) stock 914/6.

-Rusty smoke.gif
markb
If you can start with brand new gauges & senders, do it. Call North Hollywood Speedo, or Palo Alto Speedo, and tell them what you're doing, and they'll get the gauge faces pointed in the right directions for you.
jasons
QUOTE(markb @ Apr 23 2006, 06:40 AM) *

If you can start with brand new gauges & senders, do it. Call North Hollywood Speedo, or Palo Alto Speedo, and tell them what you're doing, and they'll get the gauge faces pointed in the right directions for you.

So, if you send them the oil gauges they will re-screen them or something?
914forme
Well I have started a new thread with all the info, just to clean it up a little.904 combo gauge build.
ClayPerrine
Here's a pict of the one in Betty's car. It took me about 3 hours to assemble it.

I didn't worry about re-stenseling the numbers. They were not far enough off to bother us.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.