Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Is your clutch PUCKED?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Eddie914
Should I use a puck type clutch disk or a fully lined six spring clutch disk on a track/street 914/6?

My teener is mostly a track car but does get driven on the street for pleasure trips and back and forth to the track.

'71 914 1.7 converted to 3.2 six (stock internals other than ARP rod bolts) with 46mm Webers, 911SC brakes, and full cage. Stock 3.2 motronic flywheel with Kennedy adapter ring and Kennedy stage 2 pressure plate, 914 sideshift transmission with stock gearing.

IPB Image

Will the puck clutch disc be driveable on the street?

The car is light (2050 lbs), the flywheel is heavy, and the engine should have lots of torque.

Thanks

Eddie
machina
Mine is pucked and never had a problem on the street or getting her on the trailer. You will get used to it in a few miles.
crash914
I have the puck. Big 4 motor.

Works ok.

Only thing, when I disassembled the motor to rebuild, one of the pads was gone. Kennedy fixed it free.

It is a little grabby, but very driveable. For smoothness, get the springs. You won't notice too much improvement with the puck. I don't care how my car drives on the street. hope this helps....
SirAndy
QUOTE(Eddie914 @ Apr 21 2006, 10:39 AM) *

Will the puck clutch disc be driveable on the street?

it's fine for the weekend driving and the trips to the liquor store ...

using the car for your daily commute in the bay area gets old real quick. dry.gif

driving.gif Andy
Eddie914
I'm under the understanding that the puck clutch has more torque capacity for any given pressure plate clamping force. The tradeoff is that engagement is more abrupt.

Am I right?

I have driven cars with very light flywheels and engines with narrow high rpm powerbands that are difficult to launch smoothly.

Since the 3.2 going into the 914/6 has the stock flywheel and stock cams (for now), I'm hoping the puck style clutch shouldn't make make non track driving too difficult.

I don't think my 15 year old son will be using the 914/6 to learn to drive a manual transmission.

Thanks Eddie

ps: anyone know the wear thickness specifictions for the Kennedy puck clutch?
rick 918-S
I have a puck. Works great on the street. cept the 1.7 PP died and smoked it.
Mike T
I have a 4 puck Kennedy clutch in my V8 autocross car. It's a 215mm, 2700lb pressure plate, solid mounts and lots of bracing. Shudders on take up nearly every time. Eventually you get a feel for it and it's not so bad. Grabs right now though. Would not run one on the street personally.

Years ago I used a clutch disc from Kennedy on my 1973 VW Beetle I used for H-stock autocross. Had organic lining on one side and 4 pucks on the other. That rerally worked nice. Grabbed hard by had smooth engagement. 1700lbs prssure plate.

Mike T
GeorgeRud
I used a pucked clutch on my 2.7 liter conversion, and it shuddered every time I had to start up in traffic. Worked fine on the track, but I would never use one again if I was going to drive the car on the street at all. When I changed to a 915 transmission, I went back to a full disc spring centered clutch, and would never consider going back to the puck for a street driven car.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.