Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Late night, a bottle of gin, and feelings of emptiness . . . and a Mak
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
914-8
Tried to get to sleep last night . . . but the multiple "badge or no badge" polls kept running through my brain, unabated, like a runaway freight train. Tossing and turning in a cold sweat.

Then came the distant twinklings of an epiphany. I pulled myself out of bed and into the kitchen, pulled the Bushmills off the shelf. Ahh, that's better.

Well, a glass turned into a bottle, and night turned into morning, but then it struck me.

All these years, yeah, it's been an ok life. But always, in the back of the mind, something was missing. That final piece of the puzzle, if you will. The "You complete me."

The badge! Of course, the badge!

All these years, I've heard them. They never thought I did, but I did. The snickering. The little chuckles. The dismissive "it's just a VW" muttered under the breath. For 20 years, I've tried to just let it go. Just laugh it off. But those close to me could see the tears behind the laughter. "Why, Mr. Fellow Motorist at the Gas Station Pump, must you torment me so?"

In my 911, I am met only with adoring adulation. The 914 derision. Why must that be? What does the 911 have that the 914 does not? Staring at my 914 and my 911 safely slumbering next to each other, I realized the answer was sitting right there on the hood. All these years, right under my very nose.

I staggered to the garage door opener, empty bottle in hand. Pushed the button to be greeted by the cool morning light. Blinking uncomfortably as my eyes adjusted to the dawn of a new day, I knew exactly what had to be done. This, indeed, would be a new day. The first day of a new life. One where I would actually live, dammit!

I twisted the key and 5.7 liters sprung to life, her idle a bit more nervous than usual. "Easy, girl, easy," I whispered gently as I pulled her out of the garage and into position, "this won't hurt much and it's all for the better." To memorialize her last day as a pitifully unadorned creature, I snapped one final picture.

IPB Image

Hand trembling, and eyes bloodshot, I unholstered the faithful Makita. “Ahh, my little pretty, even three layers of lovingly applied Zaino Bros. isn’t going to protect you now!”

IPB Image

As the angry tip of the carbide bit into virgin sheetmetal, my years of longing began to fly away like the tiny shards of metal being dropped at my feet. I said a silent prayer, “Please, Butzi, guide my hand lest my aim be straight and my drill be true!”

And so it was. As I stumbled back to soak in my handiwork, tears of joy welled up in my parched and delirious eyes, as a flock of white doves took flight from up behind my humble dwelling and a vision of Heinz Nordoff took shape in the reflection on that gently arching hood. Overcome, I collapsed into an exhausted heap of my now glorious and invigorated chariot. “You’re no VW, you’re no VW . . .” I mumbled as I drifted into sleep’s sweet release . . .

IPB Image
Aaron Cox
LOL....

you shoulda asked - i have an NOS one i need to unload
Jaiden
Awesome! drunk.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif

I just hope you meant to put it on upside down!!! chairfall.gif
nocones
av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif av-943.gif
blitZ
w00t.gif LOL, that's beautiful.
SGB
This is too funny!
olav
That's the sign of the Devil!

happy11.gif
drewvw

That was freaking hilarious...well done! biggrin.gif
byndbad914
QUOTE(Jaiden @ Apr 21 2006, 11:34 AM) *

Awesome! drunk.gif beer3.gif beerchug.gif beer.gif

I just hope you meant to put it on upside down!!! chairfall.gif

But of course he meant to - us 8cyl guys like to drink, repair and go fast. See, after careful, underground wind-tunnel testing (cuz that's how we be) a bunch of us determined that the factory badge, with the point first and the bullnose at the top, creates turbulent air for about 6" along the center of the hood above 130mph. That robs like 1HP from top speed. SO, by turning it around, the bullnose hits first, but the streamline to a point helps even out the airflow down the center of the hood for 10", actually gaining 1HP towards top speed. That trick is worth 2HP toward top speed.

I am going to mount 15 badges in this fashion across the back of my roof to even out the airflow to my wing, but only after a full night of carefully administered drunk.gif

914-8, I can't believe you told everybody. You didn't give them the secret password and handshake yet did you?? (dammit, the gay handshake smiley is gone, I was trying to leave that one open for response...)
balljoint
biggrin.gif

Good work.
jsteele22

So how is that Bushmill's gin ?
tdgray
OMHMFG that was hilarious av-943.gif
nocones

914-8, I can't believe you told everybody. You didn't give them the secret password and handshake yet did you?? (dammit, the gay handshake smiley is gone, I was trying to leave that one open for response...)
[/quote]

You mean this one? gayfight.gif
Or this one? theexperience_hud.gif
pfierb
You are a very funny person......still wiping the tears away......I didn't know Bushmills made gin.......amazing how much you can learn on this site.... all of it the stuff that is important in life.
mike_the_man
I nominate this thread for classic status! The funniest thing I've read all week!!!
pupwag
Looking at the title of the thread I thought he might have been thinking of shooting himself with a Makarov..that should have been Vodka aided I suppose.Very funny and nice paint!
Dr. Roger
I was sooooo waiting to see THIS...

Howard
914-8, just WOW! Thanks for the laugh piratenanner.gif
Please turn it into a slide show and add music. Both Sides Now would be nice
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.