Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Need some quick advice
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
JerryP
I installed a stock 15mm sway bar in what I thought was the proper way, according to the pelican article but I just noticed that if I push on the drop link from either side, the bar will slide. I'm guessing I put the new bushings in wrong somehow but can't imagine how else they would go. All bolts are tight. Someone please help this moron.
JerryP
icon_bump.gif

anyone? hullo?
Mueller
QUOTE(JerryP @ Apr 21 2006, 02:14 PM) *

icon_bump.gif

anyone? hullo?

if it slides side to side, the bushings could be too large of an ID...

for aftermarket bars, it is common for side to side action, the fix is to add a clamp limiting the movement.

McMaster-Carr has such clamps
Eric_Shea
Sould be fine and self leveling... does sound a bit weird though. Are you sure you got the right size nose cone bushings?
Mueller
here is a link showing the clamps...

swaybar parts
JerryP
Thanks for the replies...

got the bushings from Dave at GPR. They look a little different than the old ones but the hole appears to be the same size. They are flat on the top(big end...whatever you call it) whereas the old ones appeared to be crowned but all the ones I saw on pelican, gpr etc sites looked the same as these.

I'm just wondering if driving it could cause the bar to move and interfere with the strut? Maybe I'll fab up some kind of clamp just to test it out.

Just to make sure....the bushing goes inside the triangular cupped bracket and then the bracket goes against the outside of the wheel well....bolts go through to the flat bracket inside the gas tank area.....right?
Eric_Shea
Yes... kinda. Did you cut the bushing to install it over the bar?

1. Install the bar in the hole.
2. Slice the bushing and install over the bar.
3. Install the cap and through bolt it to the mount on the inside.
JerryP
Yes, I did slice the bushing and did just what you said. I wonder if the bushing was 16mm instead of 15mm....order says 15mm but no markings on the bushing itself. Anyway I installed a couple makeshift clamps on both ends to restrict the play. Won't budge now but I'll likely order some of those cool clamps from Mcmaster-carr. Took it for a test drive and everything seemed good. Thanks guys.

Now a few hours of shuteye and I'll be off to Hershey in the pouring rain. Bring on the rust! driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.