Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: There is a '73 914 in Redwood City
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
magaoidh
Yep, I am looking at a '73 914 in Redwood City.It looks OK in pics but I desperately need an expert opinion on it. Can anyone help?
Geoff, Sydney, Australia. Thanks!
Allan
Find someone who lives close by and have them do a PPI....

It is really far from me.

I would do it if I could....
randyt914
so if this is the orange one from High Performance House dont worry about the seller Rich... he is the Mark Richards of surfing .... he is a great guy and the man on and off the track when it comes to 914s.. a ppi at hph is like having someone go check on a used surfboard at mark richards house.... beerchug.gif
Gint
I agree with the comments about Rich at HPH if that is indeed where the car is at.

Regardless though, I can appreciate your desire to have an unbiased set of eyes to look at the car for you.

I found this on the second page, so here's a... icon_bump.gif
magaoidh
No surfies here,its silver and its at Auction City, 3536 Haven Ave. Redwood City ph.(650) 367-7788.From some vague photos it appears to have rust around the battery tray(surprise) but I am not sure. Anyone???
McMark
Redwood City is about a 2 hour drive from me. Anyone else closer?
magaoidh
I hope so,auction ends Wednesday. No viewing Sunday.It could be a good car! Thanks to all so far.
Porsche Rescue
Hope someone closer can help you out. That car looks like a sound, original and unmolested car. Could even be original paint since factory silver of that era did not hold up well at all. It is a good sign when you see the original Fuchs still in the spare tire well. A silver 2.0 is a desirable car. I suspect the bids will reach over $5000 even though it needs a paint job at the very least. Good luck.
richardL
I'm 10 minutes away - I'll go by this afternoon and give it a look over and take some pictures

Richard
olav
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 22 2006, 11:44 AM) *

I'm 10 minutes away - I'll go by this afternoon and give it a look over and take some pictures

Richard

Good on yah mate!!

smile.gif
Gint
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 22 2006, 12:44 PM) *

Richard

Get some pics of that ghia while you're there. Looks pretty nice.

Thier inventory list says:
  • STOCKNUM LOCATION YEAR MAKE MODEL CYL MILEAGE RETAIL
  • 45663 EA 1973 PORSCHE 914 2.0 G 33218 $7,850.00
magaoidh
Richard L,
Stone the flaming crows cobber! Translated it means you beauty.
Thanks.Geoff.
richardL
Done, PM sent. I can post some pictures if Geoff doesn't mind.

I thought it was a nice clean, straight original car. Engine sounded good and the hell hole wasn't bad at all.

My wife really liked the Karmann Ghia - paint was really nice and it looked good. She suggested I sell my 914s and buy her that (which I agreed to provided I got to buy a Cayman or Elise instead biggrin.gif )

I might go back if Geoff needs more info (I suggested I could take it to Rich at HPH for a real PPI if he is serious)

Richard
magaoidh
Thanks Richard,
My sense of humour,I ask Richard to check out a 914, Gint asks for a check on a Karmann Ghia,Richards wife prefers the Ghia so "sell the 914's,Gint misses out on the Ghia and I get the opportunity to buy one of Richards 914s!!! Something out of the Marx bros.Hope you appreciate it!
Yes show some photos Rich,(only the bad ones)
Good stuff guys.
Geoff
richardL
Auction ended at $7,750 ohmy.gif

Guess prices ARE going up

R
nine14cats
Geoff,

What type of 914 are you looking for and what price range? Let us know and we can keep a look out for some for you. There are still rust free cars to be had here in California and in the western U.S., so let us know your wish list. Maybe we'll stumlbe across something for you.

Bill P.
magaoidh
Thanks Bill,
My wish list is '73 or '74 2 litre with no structural rust,no major problems.Black,grey and white are my least preferred colors.
I have a $4k shipping cost which hurts when bidding at auction. Because I cant be Johnny on the spot I miss out too.
Must say, most people have been very nice and helpful in my search for a nice one.Richard L and Rich Bontempi most recently.
Thanks to all. My next move is........
Geoff.
magaoidh
I forgot my price range, say $4k to $7k!!!
Geoff
Mueller
QUOTE(magaoidh @ Apr 26 2006, 04:03 PM) *

Thanks Bill,
My wish list is '73 or '74 2 litre with no structural rust,no major problems.Black,grey and white are my least preferred colors.
I have a $4k shipping cost which hurts when bidding at auction. Because I cant be Johnny on the spot I miss out too.
Must say, most people have been very nice and helpful in my search for a nice one.Richard L and Rich Bontempi most recently.
Thanks to all. My next move is........
Geoff.

Don't you also have to pay to get it converted to right hand drive??
magaoidh
Mate,That used to be the case,but now we can drive left hookers,I could put it on club plates.I am a hands on engineer and I have done a conversion previously, dont want to do another one though!
lapuwali
Either prices have gone WAY up, or you need to find a better shipper. Three years ago, you could get a Mini shipped from Brisbane to LA for US$1500, RORO (roll on, roll off). I also know of people who've shipped multiple cars in one shipping container to split the cost.

Shop around for a better shipping arrangement, and spend US$9-10K on a perfect car instead.

Porsche Rescue
Try calship.com They go to Australia from LA

They took a car from Portland OR to LA by truck (1000 miles) and containered it to Bremerhaven Germany for $1500 USD. That was a year ago so prices likely higher now.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.