Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Corner Balancing a Twisted Tub ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
so, McMark and i spent all day today trying to corner balance my tweaked and twisted tub.

i started out with all 4 corners the same ride-height. but the car felt awful. twitchy like hell and the left front always wanted to slide on me.

so, we got a bunch of scales and went to investigate.

almost 3/4 tank of gas and my fat ass in the drivers seat ...

the end result is still not perfect, but *much* better than before.
interestingly enough, now that the corners are balanced, the tub looks all crooked. wacko.gif

i guess it makes sense, it's either:
- twisted tub, same ride height on all 4 corners, corner weights waaaay off
or
- twisted tub, corners balanced, tub looks bend.

we'll see how it holds up at the AX this AM, but it felt *much* better on the ride home from napa ...

thank you Mr. McMark!
smilie_pokal.gif

here's a printout from the high-tech software we used to track the data ...
SirAndy
oh, and btw. looks like my car comes in at around 2000lbs without me but 3/4 tank of gas ...

not too shabby for the gallons of bondo the PO threw at it ...
wink.gif Andy
McMark
Yeah, a nice set of scales from SMART is on my short list.

I had a good time and learned a lot.

Tomorrow morning we'll see if it was worth it. driving.gif
r_towle
Ill have to say..
The graphics on that software is amazing.
The details and the ability to see all the data on one portable screen is perfect...
And I love the fact that the battery never runs out...

Nice job.
Would you mind showing us how you used scales...without the special racing scales....

Rich
rhodyguy
did you alter the corner balancing after the alignment? where did you make the biggest move? the adj perches, up front, or a combo?

k
Flat VW
My bookie runs that same software.

John laugh.gif

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2006, 08:01 AM) *

The graphics on that software is amazing.
The details and the ability to see all the data on one portable screen is perfect...
And I love the fact that the battery never runs out...

Rich

McMark
QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2006, 08:01 AM) *

Would you mind showing us how you used scales...without the special racing scales....

Click to view attachment

Ghetto corner balance. It actually worked pretty well. Scales went up to 360+ lbs even though they were only rated for 300 lbs. $6 per scale on sale. wink.gif

QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 22 2006, 08:31 AM) *

did you alter the corner balancing after the alignment? where did you make the biggest move? the adj perches, up front, or a combo?

The car was aligned when we started, now it's a little out of alignment. That the price you pay for night-before adjustments. The image Andy posted shows how obviously tweaked the chassis was. The left rear was above 600 lbs constantly, the front right was below 500 lbs most of the time and the front left/right rear were pretty stable and balanced at around 550 lbs. The left rear suspension pickup is probably tweaked downwards and the front right suspension is visibly tweaked upwards. So we made a lot of progress, considering the chassis.

Next step for Andy's car is the Celette Bench! wink.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 22 2006, 01:53 AM) *

Tomorrow morning we'll see if it was worth it. driving.gif

well, what do you know? for some reason, we got it "dead on"! smilie_pokal.gif

weird bump-steer and random lane change is gone. it felt really nice on the freeway on the way home ...
then the AX today, well, what can i say, the car handled great! crisp turn in and perfect balance. even the (more or less random) sway bar setting was dead on. just a tad of oversteer, which is gud on a guttless 1.7L. felt like i had power oversteer, helped a lot in getting the car around those tight turns ...

i was only 3 secs of trekkor, which was plenty good enough for me ...
clap56.gif Andy
SirAndy
and here's the fun part, this is *AFTER* the corner balancing, holy mother of bent tubs ...

av-943.gif Andy
Qarl
quick question...

what does one do when corner balancing to "adjust" the weight distribution?

Does it involve adjusting spring height, torsion bar tension, etc.??

Just curious?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 22 2006, 06:36 PM) *

Does it involve adjusting spring height, torsion bar tension, etc.??

yupp, all of that ... basically, move each of the corners up/down until you get the weight numbers on each corner you want.

BUT, it sounds much easier than it is, a good setup can be tricky, not to mention when the tub is bend ...
smile.gif Andy
Qarl
So what was your final distribution percentage Front/Rear?

Andyrew
Wow andy... thats bent!

How was the difference in handling?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Qarl @ Apr 22 2006, 06:42 PM) *

So what was your final distribution percentage Front/Rear?

total weight, with me (~215lbs) and a 3/4 tanks of gas: 2210 lbs
front/back ratio: 46/54

still slightly heavier in the back, but i don't want to go any lower in the front and i didn't want to put that twisted back up in the air any more ...

car looks funny, but it handled great at the AX today ...
driving.gif Andy
Van914
Andy,
The drivers side should be higher without you in the seat. Let's see a picture with you in the seat and compare.
Having the same issues,
Van914
Katmanken
I agree wth Van, getcher butt in the car and reshoot the pics.

Van, your car looked perfect from what I could see. Shiny black paint and door gaps usually show up those kinds of issues.

Bet I have the same problem as you guys. Dang PO bondoed the right front wheel well and front bulkhead so I coudn't seee the ripples. ar15.gif

Trying to come up with a ghetto method of frame checking and fixturing using my rusty spare car as an alignment baseline. It has many fewer miles and only one rear fender crunch, but a lot more rust. If it measures good, it could be used to make alignment fixtures off of it, and supply good unbent parts to fix my suspected bent car. Move the fixture to the bent car, and use it to "align" the new parts for welding. Kinda like a ghetto Cellete.

Ken
rhodyguy
note the ds rear is high and the pass front is low. i would think the car will settle a bit with the driver's weight in the seat but more of a complete f to r side change. i'll look for my final alignment figures on the silver car after while. you two went through all of this just for an a-x? if trekor took off 2 plug wires and leveled the playing field i think you would've beat him.smile.gif

k
McMark
The car isn't going to sit level until it's straightened. Even with Andy in the seat it still looks funny. We went through the trouble because it was fun. Isn't that what these cars are about?
SirAndy
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 23 2006, 09:17 AM) *

The car isn't going to sit level until it's straightened. Even with Andy in the seat it still looks funny.

agree.gif with the 250lbs springs in the back, even with me in the car it looks pretty much the same. the car doesn't move all that much when i get in the car ...

and kevin is right, the car was hit in the drivers rear AND pass front, presumably at the same time ...
sad.gif Andy
Aaron Cox
whats it run to straighten a tub on a cellete fixture?
Dave-O

Ghetto corner balance. It actually worked pretty well. Scales went up to 360+ lbs even though they were only rated for 300 lbs. $6 per scale on sale. wink.gif

That looks like a good idea for a corner blance on the cheap. How do you take into account for the motion of the suspension while the car is being lowered onto the scales? Does that bar slide easily on the scales?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 23 2006, 11:41 AM) *

whats it run to straighten a tub on a cellete fixture?

your price or mine? biggrin.gif

let me just say this, if i had to pay full shop hours ...
icon8.gif Andy
Dr. Roger
Ok, I'll be the dingleberry to ask a dumb question....

If you lowered the LF and LR suspensions exactly 1" wouldn't you have almost identical weight numbers and a more level car?

Let the critisizms begin.... LOL....

Roger
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dave-O @ Apr 23 2006, 12:33 PM) *

How do you take into account for the motion of the suspension while the car is being lowered onto the scales? Does that bar slide easily on the scales?

easy is not the word i would use but yes, we made sure everything was perfectly centered once the car sat on the scales.
we centered the bar on the scales, then centered the scales & bar under the tire, then moved the scales out/in along the bar until they both read the same.

smile.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 23 2006, 12:54 PM) *

If you lowered the LF and LR suspensions exactly 1" wouldn't you have almost identical weight numbers and a more level car?

no.

it's not that easy at all. the car doesn't behave like that. two wheels in the diagonal will always form a plane on which the car "pivots".
so, it's either LF/RR or RF/LR and the car will pivot along that diagonal.
the trick is to get the other two wheels in a position where all 4 are in a plane and there's no pivoting going on at all.
and the *really* tricky part is to find that plane on a ride-height and front/rear balance that is close to where you want it to be.

this is a *very* tedious process because once you get close to all 4 wheels in one plane, even minute changes can have a big impact.

smash.gif Andy

PS: if i did what you're suggesting i *would* have a more leveled car, BUT the corner weights would be completely off!
read my first posts in this thread. that's exactly what i had when i started. car level. handled like shit. corner weights were waaaaaaay off.
remeber, the tub is bent.
Dr. Roger
i understand planes and pivots.

so, hypothetically speaking, if your 4 wheels are now in a plane, won't you still have a plane if both the wheels on the left side are lowered thesame amount?
SirAndy
QUOTE(Dr. Roger @ Apr 23 2006, 01:07 PM) *

i understand planes and pivots.

so, hypothetically speaking, if your 4 wheels are now in a plane, won't you still have a plane if both the wheels on the left side are lowered thesame amount?

yes, the *body* would be in a plane, but *not* the corner weights ...

i told you it isn't that easy ...
biggrin.gif Andy
SirAndy
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 23 2006, 01:19 PM) *

yes, the *body* would be in a plane, but *not* the corner weights ...

to quote myself ...

here is what happens if i did that, lowering both the drivers front and rear. yes, the car would look more leved, BUT what would happen weight wise is that i would now have 3 (three) wheels form a plane, DF/DR/PR and the pass. front wheel would "hang" in the air with almost NO weight on it whatsoever.

this is *exactly* what we measured when we first set the car down on the scales!

i had the car leveled (same ride height on all 4 corners) but i always felt that in left hand corners, the pass. front wanted to move out on me (no grip).
when we measured the weight for the first time, the pass. front had almost no weight on it at all and the drivers rear was way heavier than any of the other corners.
basically, the car was sitting on the drivers rear corner with the drivers front and the pass rear forming a 3 corner plane and the pass front floating in the air.

but the car looked perfectly level. just handled like shit (doh!)

remember, the tub is bent ...
rolleyes.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Have you asked Yeaman what it would cost to untwist it?

BTW...you ever sell those long studs you had in yer signature?
SirAndy
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 23 2006, 01:34 PM) *

Have you asked Yeaman what it would cost to untwist it?

BTW...you ever sell those long studs you had in yer signature?

yes and yes. sold the studs and scott yeaman is the only one i know with a celette bench AND experience in pulling 914s ...

smash.gif Andy
Joe Bob
So what did he say it would cost to pull it out right?
Aaron Cox
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 23 2006, 01:48 PM) *

guessing 2 large
SirAndy
QUOTE((*)(*) @ Apr 23 2006, 01:48 PM) *

aaron is in the ballpark. doing it on normal shop hours is *expensive*. besides the need for an experienced operator, it's a time consuming process and time is money ...

jsharp.gif Andy
Joe Bob
Well as good tubs are getting more expensive. It may be worth it sometime soon.

BTW....if we ever have a WCC 07, I have a set of scales I'll bring and we can do a corner balance clinic. They are used for balancing heavy computers and I can "borrow" them pretty much any weekend.....
Wild 6
Andy,
Reset your ride heights and this time if you adjust the right front lower, adjust the left front higher. Same with the rear. All adjustments have to be made in tandem - this keeps the ride height level.
SirAndy
QUOTE(Wild 6 @ Apr 23 2006, 03:40 PM) *

this keeps the ride height level.

except .... if you have a twisted tub ...

guys, there is *NO* way to get this car Level AND Balanced at the same time ...
wacko.gif Andy
J P Stein
agree.gif

We (Britian & I) just did mine. It was damn close to start out.
We lowered the drivers rear about 3 turns on the sleeve and bingo.
It took longer to set it on level scales that it did to balance it.

Raising or lowering any corner effects the other 3 weight-wise.

Borderline
What did you do with the rear sway bar? IIRC it doesn't have adjustable links. If you just re-connected it, then you would preload the bar one way or another and that would change your corner weights. huh.gif
Trekkor
Well if everybody is doing corner balances now, sign me up. boldblue.gif

KT
SirAndy
QUOTE(Borderline @ Apr 23 2006, 07:58 PM) *

What did you do with the rear sway bar? IIRC it doesn't have adjustable links. If you just re-connected it, then you would preload the bar one way or another and that would change your corner weights. huh.gif

good point. both swaybars were disconnected during the balance act.
i did reconnect the rear bar afterwards, i'm sure it shifts some weight around as it has to be under preload, the way the tub is bent.

cool.gif Andy
sean_v8_914
Good persistent german, good job. I think you need adjustable drop links...or srtaighten your tub wink.gif did you read john Roger's psot about his corner balancing results?

did you shave off any time?
SirAndy
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 23 2006, 10:55 PM) *

did you shave off any time?

can't tell. this was my first AX after i "downgraded" to a 1.7L ...

felt good. got within 3 secs of trekkor. biggest problem i had was that *tiny* gate right after the long right-hand sweeper.
my car is 10"+ wider than treks or nathans car and that gate only left me with 1" on each side and i was in 3rd at that point ...

3 out of 7 were clean, the other 4 times, i sent the cones flying ...
bye1.gif Andy
Brett W
What are your cross weight percentages? That is what really matters. Pulling your tub back into shape should not be that expensive. I had a chassis done for less than 400$ and another car done for $300.
byndbad914
QUOTE(Brett W @ Apr 25 2006, 03:06 PM) *

What are your cross weight percentages? That is what really matters. Pulling your tub back into shape should not be that expensive. I had a chassis done for less than 400$ and another car done for $300.

I totally agree - $2K for a straightening!? That seems way outta whack, though I have never had a "tub" car straightened, I had a friend's subframe car tweaked back after I put a monster 383 in it and he bent the car first day out with it. I think it was $500 including welding in subframe connectors. That is a few years ago, so maybe $700 now with some inflation, but not $2K.

Seems like Pcar guys get screwed left and right. Just like when I was quoting out my tube chassis build for my 914 - everyone in the "Porsche" world was quoting $15K plus with no custom suspension and I am having a baja shop do the work with custom suspension stuff for MUCH less. No custom suspension quote was less than half the $15K!!! And frankly, tubes is tubes - and AJs welding is hands-down some of the best I have seen and witnessed first hand. Apparently a little smoke.gif makes for some steady welds happy11.gif
SirAndy
putting a car on a celette bench is not your normal body shop "pulling" ...

figure 8-10 hours times two worker-bees working the bench, normal shop-rate.
that is, if everything goes smooth. if not, more ...

plus renting the fixtures.
fixtures for the celette are about ~100 day.

that does NOT include stripping the tub ...

you do the math ...
smile.gif Andy

PS: as i said, that would be your normal shop rate during normal biz-hours.
r_towle
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 22 2006, 01:38 PM) *

<!-- quoteo(post=664983:date=Apr 22 2006, 08:01 AM:name=r_towle) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 22 2006, 08:01 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
Would you mind showing us how you used scales...without the special racing scales....<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

Click to view attachment

<!-- quoteo(post=664996:date=Apr 22 2006, 08:31 AM:name=rhodyguy) --><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rhodyguy @ Apr 22 2006, 08:31 AM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!-- quotec -->
<!-- QuoteEnd --></div><!-- QuoteEEnd -->

The car was aligned when we started, now it's a little out of alignment. That the price you pay for night-before adjustments. The image Andy posted shows how obviously tweaked the chassis was. The left rear was above 600 lbs constantly, the front right was below 500 lbs most of the time and the front left/right rear were pretty stable and balanced at around 550 lbs. The left rear suspension pickup is probably tweaked downwards and the front right suspension is visibly tweaked upwards. So we made a lot of progress, considering the chassis.

Next step for Andy's car is the Celette Bench! wink.gif

I have a few questions, cause I am about to do this.

did you do all four corners at once? Do I need 8 scales?
Or did you jack up and move each corner one at a time...

Or front then back...

Please let me know...I gotta go buy some scales.

Rich
McMark
You need 8 scales. wink.gif Keep us posted on how it works for you.

Oh and you really should balance with your weight in the car. We balanced Andy's car with him in the drivers seat and me reading the scales.
John
The only way to get an untwisted car to corner balance and have the chassis level is when the car is unloaded and on level ground.

When you add the driver's weight to one side, it will effect the way the car sits (when done, it will sit high on the drivers' side). If you want the car to look statically straight while parked, you do the corner balance while NO driver is in it.

If you want the best handling car, you corner balance with driver weight in the seat and the car set-up exactly like it will be run. The car may sit strangely (without massive springs), but it will be balanced and offer balanced handling.

just my $0.02

P.S. I only use 4 scales. My version of "Ruggles" scales offer a 4:1 ratio so a single 300# scale is enough per wheel.
McMark
What do you mean sit weird? blink.gif

IPB Image
r_towle
the nice part is I have three boys, all my size...
So that will be a non issue...sit here, be quiet..

I also have loads of free weights if they are busy.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.