Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat brackets
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Marlow
Anyone know if the thermostat brackets are all the same for different years and engine sizes? I'm working on something to replace the old (unobtanium) bellows style thermostat with something a little more modern. This "new" thermostat is different in size and would require a new bracket.
McMark
I've never noticed a difference.
Rgreen914
Seems to me that Auto Atlanta has both the thermostat and the bracket, if you don't mind buying from them and if you don't mind spending a ton of money for the thermostat; or you could buy a used one from them. As always, guess it just depends on how badly you need the part(s)!

Ron
Marlow
It would be interesting to know if AA is selling the 914 thermostat or the thermostat for the Type 1. I've read a few reports that the Type 1 thermostats being sold to replace the Type 4 have been very poor quality. The Type 1 thermostat also has a much lower opening temperature. And buying a used thermostat is definitely gambling; could last a day or a year, not worth $50 to me. New Type 1 thermostats are going for $80 or so.

This "new" thermostat design I'm working with is not a perfect replacement for the Type 4 original as it opens about 30 degrees sooner. But it's better than nothing. It's design has been proven reliable in other applications. I've been using a prototype thermostat and bracket in my own car for about 2 months now.

And the price should be right; new thermostat, new bracket, and new thermostat cable should be less than $70. The more I buy up front the lower the final price will be.

I came up with the idea when my 2 year old NOS thermostat failed on me a few months ago.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.