Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Fixed tranny oil leak from speedo angle drive.
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
olav
Had transmission oil leaking out of my speedo angle drive. Just a little drip out of the end, then it progressed to leak into my speedometer cable and down it.

Finally figured out the problem. There is a seal, not the o-ring, right where it speedo angle drive screws into the speedo transmission guide, the aluminum cylinder.

The seal goes around the speedo transmission gear shaft.

When I took the gear and guide out that little seal was trashed.

Took it out put in a new one and now no more leak.

clap56.gif

That was a pesky leak and the tranny oil would go on my muffler and make a mess.

Just thought I'd mention this in case anyone else is having an issue like this.

Sorry, no pics because I forgot my camera... sad.gif
McMark
Good to know. Thanks Olav. smiley_notworthy.gif
neo914-6
Ok then, what's the part number?
Spoke
Where did you get the seal and o-ring? I have the same issue and was going to start a thread about fixing it.

Spoke

ThinAir
QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 22 2006, 08:07 PM) *

Where did you get the seal and o-ring? I have the same issue and was going to start a thread about fixing it.

This is exactly why it such a great thing when you find a solution and post it! It's only a matter of time before someone else has the same problem and a search can then provide a quick solution. Congrats on finding the problem and thanks for posting it!

Now, we need part numbers! biggrin.gif
srb7f
I ordered mine a couple weeks ago from GPR, they had it in stock and it was only $8. They also had the O-ring. Call them and ask for Dave.

QUOTE(ThinAir914 @ Apr 22 2006, 07:19 PM) *

QUOTE(Spoke @ Apr 22 2006, 08:07 PM) *

This is exactly why it such a great thing when you find a solution and post it! It's only a matter of time before someone else has the same problem and a search can then provide a quick solution. Congrats on finding the problem and thanks for posting it!

Now, we need part numbers! biggrin.gif
olav

Sorry, I was away.

I'll get the part no.

I was looking at the PET and all the parts are glommed together.

Someone should take pics of the seal and it's replacement for posterity!

ptravnic
This seems like a problem I'm having as well. I'd be very grateful if you could post a pic of the seal & where it is located on the car. Part # would be groovy too...

Thx for the post!
Porsche Rescue
Just bought the seals last week from the dealer after learning from PET that there were two.

Seal: 999 113 036 50 $8.22
O ring: 999 701 084 50 $ .91

Got tired of the puddle on the floor. Haven't done the job yet.

Olav, am I correct in assuming that I must drain the tranny first?
olav
QUOTE(Porsche Rescue @ Apr 24 2006, 02:39 PM) *

Just bought the seals last week from the dealer after learning from PET that there were two.

Seal: 999 113 036 50 $8.22
O ring: 999 701 084 50 $ .91

Got tired of the puddle on the floor. Haven't done the job yet.

Olav, am I correct in assuming that I must drain the tranny first?

That's the seal I replaced. My O-ring was still fine.

I raised the rear of the car on to jack stands and pulled out the tranny speedo gear without draining the the tranny oil first.

I removed the 13 mm bolt, pulled the tranny speedo gear housing then plugged the hole with rags so not to lose too much tranny oil.

Then I did the seal replacement

And stuck the speedo gear housing back in.

I topped up the tranny oil because some did spill.

Went for a 70 mile drive today and the angle drive is nice and dry.

SirAndy
i just replaced that part, as well as the o-ring ...

here's the part number, for future reference:

Click to view attachment

the seal goes around the inner shaft ...
bye1.gif Andy
tonylamont
I have a question for others who have done this.

I have the same problem, and have bought the replacements parts noted above.

I removed the 13mm bolt, and have taken the speedo drive assembly out. However, I'm having a devil of a time getting the assembly apart to get at the seal. There is a large nut that attaches the angled pipe to the "guide bush" or "trans. shaft sleeve" (the main metal part) that I cannot get to move. Any recommendations?

And sorry if this is obvious, but I'm an idiot mechanically.
SirAndy
QUOTE(tonylamont @ Aug 31 2011, 05:01 PM) *
I removed the 13mm bolt, and have taken the speedo drive assembly out.

Put it back in. biggrin.gif

The angle part will come off much easier if the shaft is still secured in the transmission. See pic below ...

IPB Image

welcome.png
SirAndy
Also, have a look at this thread:

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=103985

bye1.gif
tonylamont
SirAndy,

Much thanks. I have replaced the seal and have reinstalled the drive assembly but have one last problem - when I try to put the 13mm bolt back in, there appears to be a thread assembly (it looks like a spring actually) protruding from the hole the 13mm bolt goes into. I can't get the 13mm bolt in. Did I screw (pun intended) something up?
EdwardBlume
A spring? threaded? I don't recall this.

Take the drive back off. Clean the casing again. Inspect the hole and thread. Look at the drive where the bolt threads and make sure it is in good condition. Line up the drive (mark it if you need to) and try again.

If the threads are damaged, you can try and rethread them with the correct tool.
Richard Casto
QUOTE(tonylamont @ Sep 1 2011, 08:59 AM) *

SirAndy,

Much thanks. I have replaced the seal and have reinstalled the drive assembly but have one last problem - when I try to put the 13mm bolt back in, there appears to be a thread assembly (it looks like a spring actually) protruding from the hole the 13mm bolt goes into. I can't get the 13mm bolt in. Did I screw (pun intended) something up?

You might be seeing a Heli-coil. It could be that a previous owner stripped that thread and then used a Heli-coil kit to repair. Google Heli-coil to see what it is. The threaded "coil" might be fine (and just not what you are expecting to find), or it might be damaged and preventing you from putting the screw in. I have also seen a Heli-coil repaire like this result in some of the coils protruding deep enough into case that it can damage (cut/scrape) the o-ring on the aluminum housing for the speedo drive (the part you just worked on). If the coil is damaged, but the threads in the end housing fine, you may just need to thread in a new Heli-coil.

Richard
SirAndy
QUOTE(Richard Casto @ Sep 1 2011, 07:18 AM) *
You might be seeing a Heli-coil.

agree.gif
Scott S
Sorry to pull up an old thread.....

After seeing this thread back in Sept, I ordered ther seals. Last night I went to install them and cant see where the small internal seal actually goes - even after looking the PET diagram.

Do you have to pull apart the gear drive?

Can somone list a step by step?

Sorry for my ignorance...

Thanks -
Scott S

rick 918-S
popcorn[1].gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 7 2011, 09:23 AM) *
After seeing this thread back in Sept, I ordered ther seals. Last night I went to install them and cant see where the small internal seal actually goes - even after looking the PET diagram.

Do you have to pull apart the gear drive?

Yes. There's a metal "ring" (for the lack of a better word) that is pressed in that you need to remove. The internal seal goes behind it.

popcorn[1].gif
aharder
Thanks for pulling up the old thread type.gif
I have the same problem but I have not been thinking about it cause I'm
not close to putting the engine and tranny back in yet so I have not done the search.

Scott S
Thanks Andy. I will go back at the thing tonight. Any tricks to removing the ring?

Thanks Again -
beerchug.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Scott Schroeder @ Dec 7 2011, 11:01 AM) *
Thanks Andy. I will go back at the thing tonight. Any tricks to removing the ring?

It's been a while, if i remember correctly, i used some "hooked" pliers to get it out.

It's on the big threaded end. If you look inside, you can see the inner seal sitting behind the metal ring. The ring is only pressed in and was fairly easy to remove on mine.

chowtime.gif
andys
I don't know how useful this is, but the '75 that I bought (from an original owner) had an oil saturated passenger footwell and carpet. At the time when I stripped out the carpet, I was curious as to why there was oil in that area. It later occurred to me that transmission oil had weeped down the speedo cable and leaked where the cable connected to the CAT mileage counter box mounted in the footwell under the foam footboard.

Andys
914_7T3
icon_bump.gif For this thread as I need to replace these seals as well and having the correct part #s make it easy.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.