Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Father and Son: Classic Moments in 914 History
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ptravnic
So I realize that I have'nt posted much on this board (was more active in years past on the Pelican posts) but figured I should show off some of my father and my classic & not so classic moments...

Back in 2002 my pops & me decided it was time for Orange car's 1.7L to get upgraded to a 2056 (despite many who said "just buy one of Jake's engines...) and we were just the men for the job!

My first rebuild:
Click to view attachment

Notice the valve burned into the hole in the piston...Pictures sometimes say more than 1,000 words. It was a sad day in Mudville... Turns out, the engine was just as it should have been but the throttle cable got mucked up and got stuck w/the pedal to the floor then, well, back to the picture/1,000 words...

ptravnic
But, there are (somewhat) happy endings (not the massage parlor type). The heads were not really damaged and KB was able to send out a single P&C for a reasonable cost. A half a day's worth of work the following weekend and we were up and running. Here's a pic of both our cars just last year:

Click to view attachment

We're still trying to get the stock FI tuned right on the 2056, anyone got any good suggestions (and updating to megasquirt is not an option...) WTF.gif We have a set of Dellorto's and Webbers but want to try to keep the FI.

ptravnic
Almost forgot to add a pic of myself... This is engine pre assembly:

Click to view attachment
carreraguy
Classic moment for me - my son Matt and I at the WCC04 autox - we both had a great time. BTW - thanks again for the shot Carl!
So.Cal.914
The same thing happened to one of my old engines, except the valve blew a piece

out of the bottem of the piston which flew into the crank. That piece was batted at

supersonic speed into the top of the case, blowing a hole in it like a anti-tank

round. blink.gif Head, P & C, & case were toast. You lucked out, good for you.

smoke.gif
mightyohm
Carl, thanks for the 1/4 shot of my car too. biggrin.gif
DNHunt
Great father and son project.

Here is my son before his first drivers skills day in a a car we rebuilt.
TINCAN914
Here is my son, ready to do the voodo... biggrin.gif Another couple of years, and he will learn how to weld...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.