Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: CIS high pressure plastic lines
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Dr Evil
Well, the fuel pump that ejm so generously provided for my car has done its job as it has provided pressure. What a guy!

Next problem: Pressure in system = found hole in high pressure fuel line biggrin.gif

So, where can I get some of the hard palstic CIS fuel line?
Series9
Where are you talking about?
Dr Evil
Warm up enrichment line off of the fuel distributor. All of my fule lines from the distributor are hard plastic fuel lines.

The line for the 74 is different from the others (of course) and I think that I can get some bulk line from Volvo, but I was hoping for other leads.
ejm
Some of the factory CIS lines are formed hard plastic that are shrunk onto the barbed fittings. This stuff springs a leak first time its kinked. I use high quality braided cloth covered hose with pinch clamps and have never had a problem.
Dr Evil
It is the unlabeled piece in this diagram. (arrowed)
rhodyguy
wow! you're man ed! smilie_pokal.gif

k
Series9
Cut the plastic line off and replace it with quality FI hose and FI hose clamps available at NAPA.
Dr Evil
Not too sure that a thicker walled hose will work in this location, but I will look into it tomarrow.

Napa in town sucks, I will have to go into the city to see if they have the stuff. This Napa doesnt cary, or even know what an FI hose clamp is. WTF.gif
dimitri
I have used teflon tubing on the csi. You bring the tubing to about 210 deg, using
boiling water for heating and quickly insert the banjo fitting. Quick is the trick, no clamp needed, shrinks to fitting. Dimitri
Dr Evil
Where do you get the teflon tubing? Which type and brand?
Dr Evil
Actually Gents, NAPA carries no such thing to help me that I can find. The closest approximation to what I have is McMaster-Carr's 1/8" teflon. I hope it is not too small. The smallest fuel line I could find was 3/16" which is too big. I may be able to get some 3, or 3.5 mm fabric braided hose from GPR that is used in MBZs. Only problem is I do not know the PSI rating.

Any sources would be appreciated. It is the only thing holding my progress up (for now).
Katmanken
Hey Doctor,

Hose size doesn't matter.... blink.gif

Somehow that didn't come out right.... happy11.gif

Flow is controlled by the smallest orifice....

Use the hose connectors to set the orifice size. Putting on a larger hi pressure hose is just more volume for the pump to initially fill when purging air and shouldn't affect the flow at all.

In Doctor speak... an enlarged prostate (orifice sizer) limits flow through the patient's urethra (hose). Surgical removal or cautery of the enlarged prostate tissue surrounding the urethra will decrease the restriction and increase the patient's bladder flow and comfort.

For CIS, the opposite is desired. A restricting orifice sets the flow and the Dr can go. However, electrocautery should never be performed on a pressurized system...

So, does your NAPA stock buggy whips and those orange reflective triangles? biggrin.gif

Ken
brp914
high press fuel lines

hope I did that right. might be worth a shot.
iamchappy
Try Henry Schmidt at Supertec he may have a good answer to your problem.
Fabricated fuel lines (black or clear Paramed plastic as used by Porsche factory race cars)

I think they look cool and will probably replace mine like this.
robby750
QUOTE(kwales @ Apr 24 2006, 06:31 PM) *

Hey Doctor,

av-943.gif

So, does your NAPA stock buggy whips and those orange reflective triangles? biggrin.gif

Ken

iamchappy
Wow BRP and I are on the same wavelink tonight.
Dr Evil
Thanks guys, I'll be calling in the morning, but I just ordered the 1/8" hose from MC.

Ken,
thanks for the humorous account of Bernouli's principle. I wish that my understanding were the problem, but it is that I am mating said hose to pre determined male fittings so size does matter. Too big and the hose will not clamp on as tight with out potentially allowing leaks. High pressure fuel on a hot engine is probably bad.
jimtab
QUOTE(Dr Evil @ Apr 24 2006, 08:14 PM) *

Thanks guys, I'll be calling in the morning, but I just ordered the 1/8" hose from MC.

Ken,
thanks for the humorous account of Bernouli's principle. I wish that my understanding were the problem, but it is that I am mating said hose to pre determined male fittings so size does matter. Too big and the hose will not clamp on as tight with out potentially allowing leaks. High pressure fuel on a hot engine is probably bad.

BAD...SCHMAD....where's that famous pluck? No guts no air medal or some such nonesense.... happy11.gif
rick 918-S
Regardless of what your DA NAPA clerk tells you, they do sell High pressure black plastic Fuel injection line in bulk rolls. I purchased it there myself. Heat it in boiling water and very quickly install it on the barb'd fitting. I have it running through my tunnel for a return line.

I like the clear stuff shown above better! Cool!
Dr Evil
Rick,
What did "they" call it? I couldn't even find it on their web site. I can go to the city and see if the more urban folks carry it. I have some 1/8" clear on its way, but I would like a back up incase this doesn't work.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.