Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: What did I do?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rmital
The Longitudinals at the jacking points were pretty rusted out. Only jacked up the side we worked on...wanted to make more stable before putting it on the lift. (the idea of the car bending was very vivid in our minds).

Everything went fine, but noticed a puddle under the car. Fuel....started the car up and was smoking like crazy. Need to burn off what ever is on the exhaust? Or did I do something worse...?

The picture attached is the position of the car while on stands..only the one side. It doesn't look to extreme...any thoughts?
r_towle
oil in the push rod tubes leaked out.
I hate to say this...dip your finger in it..smell it.
Is it gas or oil...
Could also be tranny fluid, but mostlikely oil.
It smokes cause it gets into the heat echangers.

Rich
rmital
...so not harm no foul...just needs to burn off exhaust?
r_towle
yup, if its oil...
If you tip it alot...I mean alot (you would have to see inside a case to see what I mean) you eventually will dump the crankcase oil into the valve cover...

Normally, you can take off the valve cover and there is about 1/2 cup of oil in the rocker chamber...the head has a natural angle to keep the oil heading towards the engine...you just overcame that angle...for a long period of time...

After you let it down take off the valve cover on the lower side...let the rest of the oil out, get a rag and wipe off the top of the heaterbox...get as much as you can ...then burn the rest.

Rich
computers4kids
OK...that makes sense. When I 've put my car on jack stands in the past, I've jacked it up one long at a time placing a jack stand under the lifted side and then do the same with the other side. Finally, when I set the 914 back on the ground, I would always get a very small puddle of oil which was always a puzzle. Your explanation makes sense! I just replaced the oil tube seals and valve cover gaskets, so I don't know if it still will leak out.

Using a floor jack, is there a safe spot under the car to jack the rear of the car up evenly (rather than one side at a time)?????

Thanks for the tip,

QUOTE(r_towle @ Apr 23 2006, 05:54 PM) *

yup, if its oil...
If you tip it alot...I mean alot (you would have to see inside a case to see what I mean) you eventually will dump the crankcase oil into the valve cover...

Normally, you can take off the valve cover and there is about 1/2 cup of oil in the rocker chamber...the head has a natural angle to keep the oil heading towards the engine...you just overcame that angle...for a long period of time...

After you let it down take off the valve cover on the lower side...let the rest of the oil out, get a rag and wipe off the top of the heaterbox...get as much as you can ...then burn the rest.

Rich
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.