Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: AARRRGGGHHH ! Trunk Hinge
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
clarkcou
Purchased from somewhere many years ago, two new rear hood weldments. Car project ongoing for years -wded to car, painted car, finally mount hinges.

Muscled torsion bar in place, looks good. First time I activate hinge, threaded part in middle of weldment breaks away from section welded to body. Weld failure is not my weld, but vendor weld.

Where do I go from here. Weld threaded section back to balance of bracket or get new part? headbang.gif
cooltimes
I think you should weld it back yourself. The old proverb is true in the short history of use of those hinges. When you want something done right, do it yourself.
Ctrout
I think you should do like I did and buy a set of hinges from JWest and be done with it.
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Apr 23 2006, 09:31 PM) *

I think you should do like I did and buy a set of hinges from JWest and be done with it.

Yes.. Agree.... 100%

Goge
Yes-
Happened to me exactly as you stated. I took it back to the place that welded the hinge in for me and had them tack that threaded section in. Very poorly made piece to begin with, as far as I could tell, the threaded section was just pressed in? Sheesh!

I left the engine cover and rear trunk off, they were able to get in and tack it no problem.

Hope it doesn't break soon, it's been a year now and all is still OK.

-Todd
SirAndy
or, get gas trunk shocks and throw those torsion bars in the trash ...

much less stress on the hinges ...
wink.gif Andy
bryanc
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 23 2006, 09:30 PM) *

wink.gif Andy

Agreed. That was one of the best upgrades I've ever bought. Camp914 has them.
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bryanc @ Apr 23 2006, 10:18 PM) *

wink.gif Andy

yep. one of the best user friendly things i did to my car
hmeeder
But does not get you out of fixing the hinge. Still gotta do that.

When I broke my right hand hinge, I replaced with a new one and sho'nuff, it spun loose just as your did. I think the paint was all that was holding it on. Had to go back in and tack the threaded boss to the base. That was 4 years ago.

Now the Left hand hinge has broken. Time to do it again. Fortunately, the engine is out of the car. That should make it quite a bit easier.
Elliot_Cannon
QUOTE(bryanc @ Apr 23 2006, 10:18 PM) *

wink.gif Andy

agree.gif

I also agree. Smartest thing I have done with the car besides keeping Aaron out of it. biggrin.gif

Elliot
clarkcou
Just back from biz trip and reviewed replies. Thanks all. I am looking at the options. JWest piece impressive. Hood shocks interesting but still need to deal with root cause.
Rand
Root cause is hinge base rust. Kill the rust, replace rotten metal if necessary. Weld it up. That's number one. Make sure the hinge base is strong.

Then you can decide if you want to keep the factory torsion bar system, or rip it out and replace with a modern gas shock system.

As for me, the torsion bar junk is long gone. Simplify and lose some weight. Camp914 shocks are in my future.

TINCAN914
QUOTE(clarkcou @ Apr 28 2006, 06:35 AM) *

Just back from biz trip and reviewed replies. Thanks all. I am looking at the options. JWest piece impressive. Hood shocks interesting but still need to deal with root cause.

Bought a set from JW, fit tits on and worked perfect..
THen went and bought the gas shox from Camp914. I agree with the others.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.