Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Well I'll be dipped in dodo II
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
J P Stein
...once in a while.
I am declaring victory over understeer(tho I may be deluded).

The first third of today's AX was first gear with the new B #1 cog......can you say throttle steer?....Want to pivot the car?... just select the pedal on the right.....but use care.

The scrub radius problems I had been experiencing are a thing of the past.
With the cantilevers mounted on 8 inch wide wheels, the turn in is crisp AND it hooks.
Steering effort is no longer an issue. I did loop the car at about 45-50mph...one of them decreasing space slaloms....shit. had a gud run going too...yada,yada biggrin.gif

So, tighten the front AR bar or softer rear springs? Feel free to pick one.

Britian done gud at his first SCCA lash up......bout a second off door slammer TTOD. I was bout .75 sec back of him...I think.
Trekkor
Nice job.

Better weekend than I had... vampire.gif

KT
Dave-O
I might have missed your post...did you just use front wheels with more backspacing. What effect did this have on your front track width. Assuming you have the same size tire as before, it is suprising that you would gain traction in the front with a more narrow track width. I didn't realize that scrub radius had that big of an effect.

I'm doing a little experiment with widening the front track width using spacers...1" on both sides. We'll see if the tradeoffs in scrub radius are too much for the traction I "should" gain in front. First event of the year is this weekend burnout.gif

drew365
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 23 2006, 06:45 PM) *

So, tighten the front AR bar or softer rear springs? Feel free to pick one.

For track we always pick stiffer, but I understand that AX favors a little softer setup. I don't like to tighten a sway bar past 75%. That's why I got a Smart bar, you can change out the bar to a stiffer one and use the same drop links etc. Was that worth 2cents? If not let me know I'll send ya some change. biggrin.gif
J P Stein
I replaced the 10 wide wheels & slicks with 8 inch wide
wheels & 9.5 inch slicks.

With the 10 inch wide wheels, I figured
that about positive 2.5 inches of scrub radius were at the root of my tight corner push. Moving the centerline of the W/T in about 1 inch would put the scrub at 1.5 inch
Which still seems excessive, but it works pretty well.

I also lowered the front end about 3/8 inches (using raised spindle struts) and raised the aft end about the same amount. With the 10 inch T/W, I had to run -1.5 camber for fender clearance....which the tire didn't like. Now I'm closer -.5 and actually getting a bit of heat into them.

OK, so here's the Q:
By tightening the front AR bar, does one loose traction at front or gain traction at the rear? The former would be an unacceptable way to balance the handling. The latter would be gud.

drew365
A 2k lb car with what ever size tires generates X amount of grip. I'd say you're just redistributing whats available, not adding or losing. Make a change to downforce and you'll add or lose grip. I hear wings are heavenly.
brant
awesome JP
good for you!

brant
J P Stein
QUOTE(drew365 @ Apr 23 2006, 07:38 PM) *

A 2k lb car with what ever size tires generates X amount of grip. I'd say you're just redistributing whats available, not adding or losing.

Humm...sounds like you're trying to explain some kinda commie plot. The total amount of wealth is the same, we aren't taking away anything, just redistributing it, eh?....You live in the PRofCA, right? biggrin.gif
drgchapman
Atta boy JP. Hoping to get mine this week.......

Add more front bar...........

Play with it next weekend, adjust between runs, and during fun runs
Britain Smith
That is what I told him to do...but I realize that it is a bit more involved on his car.

Let me tell ya, his car stuck like glue and is scary fast. Of course, I am coming from my 1.7 to this...night and day! Give me a bit more time and I think I can tame that beast.

When are they going to post the results?

-Britain
J P Stein
Results are often up Sunday evening.....that doesn't appear to be the case
this time. Relax, you prolly made the top 20...maybe 15.
Thorshammer

Glad you liked it.

Where is the rear toe and front toe set. Your problem seems to be very small, I would suggest you look at your alignment settings at this point.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Erik Madsen
J P Stein
QUOTE(Thorshammer @ Apr 24 2006, 09:03 AM) *

Glad you liked it.

Where is the rear toe and front toe set. Your problem seems to be very small, I would suggest you look at your alignment settings at this point.

Thats just my 2 cents.

Erik Madsen

0 toe at both ends.
I agree, it's close....almost close enuff for an air pressure adjustment, me thinks.
It tucked in nicely for me by using the go pedal on a 2nd gear sweeper.....
The smart money would be to try that first and get some more butt time in it.
Rough_Rider
Fun course, except i only managed to get 1/2 a run upto the beginning of the slalom. Burnt a 3" section of wire from MSD.

BTW, Thanks to Jim, bunch of SCCA folks, JP & Britain for giving a hand.
Britain Smith
WHERE ARE THE RESULTS? WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BE POSTED.

Yes, I am yelling!

-Britain
J P Stein
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Apr 24 2006, 01:07 PM) *

WHERE ARE THE RESULTS? WHEN ARE THEY GOING TO BE POSTED.

Yes, I am yelling!

-Britain

My....he gets testy, don't he biggrin.gif
Britain Smith
No results yet...WHERE ARE THEY.

They better be up by morning...

You feeling any better JP?

-Britain
J P Stein
QUOTE(Britain Smith @ Apr 24 2006, 11:20 PM) *

No results yet...WHERE ARE THEY.

They better be up by morning...

You feeling any better JP?

-Britain

Still feel like hammered shit....but better than yesterday.
Drugs are gud.....oh, here are your results. I had to do the top 25 to get me in
there. biggrin.gif .75 sec makes quite a difference at the SCCA jobies. Brit done gud.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
1m AM 7 Neal Stanley TLRC 34.824
2m XBS 1 Tom Kotzian 06 Mazda RX8 35.278
3m XES 95 Jerry Jenkins 94 Mazda Miata 35.475
4m AS 93 Denis Cornforth 93 Corvette 35.633
5m BSP 77 Duncan Minalga 04 Mitsu Evo RS 35.811
6m STU 14 Ryan Otis 05 Subaru STI 35.963
7 FP 104 Britain Smith 74 Porsche 914 35.981
8m BS 6 Andy Lee 93 Toyota MR2T 36.024
9m EP 54 Dan Arrington 71 Datsun 510 36.071
10m AS 33 Tim Thomas 01 Honda S2000 36.074
11m DSP 70 Josh Hopwood 00 Acura Integra 36.106
12m AS 21 Chuck Spittal 91 Corvette 36.125
13m STU 30 James Paulson 04 Subaru STi 36.151
14m STU 577 Brian Kesselman 05 Subaru STI 36.235
15m EP 9 George Wilder 77 Mazda RX3 36.320
16 SM 127 Chris Nolke 06 Subaru STi 36.320
17m FRUN 66 Dudley Milder 05 Dodge SRT4 36.393
18m FRUN 70 John Spiva 00 Acura Integra 36.489
19m GS 31 Gary Hays 06 Audi A3 36.505
20 SM 8 Bob Schatz 96 Subaru WRX 36.511
21m XBS 17 George Hudetz 04 Mazda RX8 36.534
22m AS 771 Josh Svoboda Detomaso Mangust 36.546
23m DS 66 Dudley Milder 05 Neon SRT 36.639
24m FP 4 JP Stein 74 Porsche 914 36.665
25m DSP 14 Arron Mauldin 97 Honda Del Sol 36.734
Britain Smith
Finally...

I am glad to see what the car has. I thought I could easily get another 0.5 to 0.75 seconds outta that course. That car has a lot more than I knew how to take from it. Ah, the season has just begun!

By the way, the TTOD was a Formula SAE home-built car.

-Britain
brant
Good job guys...
both of you!

simply awesome!

brant
Britain Smith
Guess I should become a SCCA member...

-Britain
grantsfo
I found that my huge-gantic spacers in front definitely helped with making my car turn. I was expecting to push the front end through every corner with the 265 rears and 225 fronts. Car had better turn in than my 205 hooseirs all around on 8" wheels.

JP how in the world did you let a hulky Audi A3 beat you? Oh the humanity!
J P Stein
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 25 2006, 09:07 PM) *

Get your candy ass out to an SCCA AX & find out biggrin.gif
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 25 2006, 09:15 PM) *

QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 25 2006, 09:07 PM) *

Get your candy ass out to an SCCA AX & find out biggrin.gif

I dont care if Jesus Christ was driving an A3 he wouldnt beat me in your car. Thought we had already put to bed this whole strange belief that SCCA was superior when Steve N roasted SCCA nuts in a 4 cylinder 914. Dont forget we have deeper talent in PCA than you do in brewery town. Might have something to do with the 12 million people who live in the region?

I dont think you have to look any further than Britain to see the driving talent that comes from our Nor Cal region.
Britain Smith
You know guys, I learned a lot down in the Bay Area and was blessed with great surfaces to race on. With that said, there are plenty of folks who are plenty fast up here. I was surprised by some of the folks at that SCCA event, more so than I though I would be.

In addition, JP's car is completely different than last year. It has completely different gear ratios, smaller and different style Hoosiers in the front, brakes have been completely gone through and rebuilt...etc. What I am getting at is that it was basically a crash course in setting the car up and adjusting to how handles. You only get 3 runs that count (first three) so it makes it vital to be fast outta the bag.

I would really like to see some of you guys up here for the WCC so we can go against each other. I am expecting it to be close and I am hoping that I get enough butt time to make it a good fight.

I miss the great competition with you guys, especially Nathan, Trekkor and you Grant.

-Britain
Trekkor
Wow!

WCC...

KT
J P Stein
Deeper talent, eh?
Look at the results for the National Tour event at Qualcom.

Tire Rack SCCA National Tour
San Diego, CA
March 4-5, 2006
Qualcomm Stadium

RESULTS

Results posted - Sunday March 5, 2006
Final Results (ESP protest under appeal)

Stock Category

Super Stock Drivers: 19 Trophies: 6
T 1 196 Tom Kotzian 2003 Chevy Corvette Red Kumho 47.215 47.185 46.131 91.292
[96] Gladstone, OR Trackside/Kumho Oregon Reg 45.161 54.683(5) DNF
T 2 193 Rita Wilsey 2002 Chevrolet Corvette Kumho 46.912 46.594 48.479(1) 92.499
[93] Lake Elsinore, CA Cal Club R 45.905 47.677(1) DNF (1.207)

T

Here's another couple local boys that made the trip:
C Street Prepared Drivers: 13 Trophies: 4
T 1 190 Ron Bauer 1994 Mazda Miata Red Kumho 46.150 45.861 45.230 89.188
[90] Bellevue, WA Kumho/Team Butt Heat Northwest 46.716(1) 44.089 43.958
T 2 90 Jim Daniels 1994 Mazda Miata Red Kumho 49.189(1) 46.761 45.779 90.136
[190] Gladstone, OR Kumho, Team RH Oregon Reg 45.055 46.630(1) 44.357 (0.948)
T

Ya want more?

D Stock Drivers: 6 Trophies: 2
T 1 66 Steve Wynne 2005 Dodge ACR SRT-4 Wh Kumho 49.835 49.167 49.347 96.670
Redmond, OR Oregon Reg 48.127 48.676(1) 47.503
T 2 75 Jerry Lamb 2003 BMW 330ci Blu Kumho 50.441 50.675 49.610 96.872
Snohomish, WA Team RH Northwest 49.056 52.903(2) 47.262 (0.202)

Me thinks you havent a clue.....but I will admit, Steve is quick and I'm not.
I started too late to ever be real gud at this AX stuff. That's my problem, but there were about 120 guys that finished behind me at this last AX....you'd have been one of them iff'n you was there.
grantsfo
QUOTE(J P Stein @ Apr 25 2006, 10:52 PM) *

Deeper talent, eh?
Look at the results for the National Tour event at Qualcom.

Me thinks you havent a clue.....but I will admit, Steve is quick and I'm not.
I started too late to ever be real gud at this AX stuff. That's my problem, but there were about 120 guys that finished behind me at this last AX....you'd have been one of them iff'n you was there.

SCCA national tour is right up there with the national amature bowling tour in my book.

jester.gif ...But still you got your butt kicked by a 3300 lb Audi A3 in GS class. Thats hilarious ....time to sharpen those driving skills JP Whats next will some SCCA National champion in a Ford Explorer beat you? bootyshake.gif
DNHunt
popcorn[1].gif

Alright, this is gonna be good. WCC faceoff, Grant and JP. I say 1 practice run in each others cars then 1 timed run in for each of you in each car. The rest of us in the peanut gallery can wager beer3.gif

Dave
Joe Ricard
Hey I want some of that. I would like to bring the Red Neck Racer up there and quite possibly put an end to the "my pond is bigger than yours" arguement.

I'll be taking paypal contributions for the gas bill for 3500 miles. I can do it 2 1/2 days now.
ConeDodger
JP if it is that close perhaps tire pressure would get you the more subtle result you are looking for.
Are you coming down if they have that SCCA event at Mather again? We need to organize a better reception for you this year. Maybe a BBQ... Bring more Oregon guys with and we can host...
Nice job! Damn those results are tight.... .75 drops you to 24th overall!
Rob
Britain Smith
QUOTE(Rotten Robby @ Apr 26 2006, 08:35 AM) *

JP if it is that close perhaps tire pressure would get you the more subtle result you are looking for.
Are you coming down if they have that SCCA event at Mather again? We need to organize a better reception for you this year. Maybe a BBQ... Bring more Oregon guys with and we can host...
Nice job! Damn those results are tight.... .75 drops you to 24th overall!
Rob

Funny you mention tire pressures. We dropped the tire pressures in the rear before my last run and I ended up dropping a large chunk of time. The car just needs some minor tweaking and it will be all set.

-Britain
grantsfo
QUOTE(DNHunt @ Apr 26 2006, 06:27 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Alright, this is gonna be good. WCC faceoff, Grant and JP. I say 1 practice run in each others cars then 1 timed run in for each of you in each car. The rest of us in the peanut gallery can wager beer3.gif

Dave

Unfortuantely I will be in Amsterdam the week of WCC. I'll pay JP's gas bill and pick up the beers for everyone if JP comes down to a SF Bay Area AX. JP, you do know I'm ribbing you right? biggrin.gif
Joe Ricard
QUOTE(grantsfo @ Apr 26 2006, 11:11 AM) *

QUOTE(DNHunt @ Apr 26 2006, 06:27 AM) *

popcorn[1].gif

Dave

Unfortuantely I will be in Amsterdam the week of WCC. I'll pay JP's gas bill and pick up the beers for everyone if JP comes down to a SF Bay Area AX. JP, you do know I'm ribbing you right? biggrin.gif

Oh NOW he's ribbing the old man. Isn't there an SCCA National Tour up there in the Pac Nor West area? Bring it to the big pond you can rib all you want if you can catch up. poke.gif
J P Stein

[/quote]
[/quote]

As an advanced bench racer, I recongize the "pre-excuse".....but I think the use of Amsterdam is a new twist. I may have to file that one for future use. biggrin.gif

I ann't gonna be able to get to CA this year....I'm up to my ass in AXs this year....and short on vacation. Besides, it's you'z guys turn to come up here.

It's a shame nobody but S Nielsony & T Provasi are the only CA 914 guys coming up for Parade. L Gulick & E Fry are coming down from WA. We gonna have some fun. burnout.gif
grantsfo
[quote name='J P Stein' date='Apr 26 2006, 12:15 PM' post='668208']
[/quote]
[/quote]

As an advanced bench racer, I recongize the "pre-excuse".....but I think the use of Amsterdam is a new twist. I may have to file that one for future use. biggrin.gif

[/quote]

Well I'll try to think of an excuse to give the executive VP I report to that an AX outweighs senior management meeting in Europe. And I'll let you explain to my wife why she wont get my frequent flyer miles because I'm driving my 914 14 hours north. Nope! ...sorry I'm not an AX nerd of that scale yet.
DNHunt
Oh well. Maybe it's best left unanswered. Kind of like a bikini on a beautiful girl, keeps you interested cause you don't have all the answers.

Dave
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.