Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Old Mallory Dual Point Disty
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
LowGT
Anyone have any knowledge about this disty? It was in my car when I bought it, and it runs, but I think it needs to be "refreshed". You can still get points, condensers, and rotors for them but I don't know about advance kits for it. It is mechanical advance, but I'm not sure what the proper advance should be for a 1.7l engine.

Anyone edumacated with these?

Dan
MarkV
I have one on my car and it works really well. The advance mechanism is just as adjustable as the newer model, it just take a different advance kit. One of the advantages of the Mallory distributor is that the cap is bigger with no resistor in the rotor. Mine is set up with two red springs & 18 degrees of total advance. My initial timing is set at 12 degrees.

These guys have all of the parts & assembly drawings for them:

http://www.centuryperformance.com/mallory/se57assm.asp
MarkV
LowGT
Thanks Mark, your info helped me out a lot.

I have another question though. If the disty is put in 180 out, but the spark plug wires are put on correctly, will that mess up how the engine runs?

Right now the car starts quickly and idles smooth, but won't get past 2000 rpm when driving.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.