Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Should I drive?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I have a friend who does full restorations, We've know each other for 25 years. He's a great painter and fabricator and has his own shop. The rub is its 1,100 miles away av-943.gif . He will paint my car and do what ever else we choose to do for the materials. If you don't know I have a V8 car, running a 930 trans. I don't have any running issues but two 12 hour days of driving is a heck of a lot to ask. I could tow the car and lighten it up by removing the engine and transmission, but I would love to drive it mueba.gif
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Apr 23 2006, 08:38 PM) *

I have a friend who does full restorations, We've know each other for 25 years. He's a great painter and fabricator and has his own shop. The rub is its 1,100 miles away av-943.gif . He will paint my car and do what ever else we choose to do for the materials. If you don't know I have a V8 car, running a 930 trans. I don't have any running issues but two 12 hour days of driving is a heck of a lot to ask. I could tow the car and lighten it up by removing the engine and transmission, but I would love to drive it mueba.gif

drive it. drop the motor. spend a week stripping it. fly home. fly back. reassemble. drive back smile.gif
neo914-6
As long as there are gas stations every 100 miles and you have a comfy seat, drive... biggrin.gif
3d914
I've driven my 4cyl with 200K miles back & forth to CA several times, and cross-country from AZ to IL & back. I'm sure your V8 can handle it just fine. There's only one way to know for sure . . .

Enjoy
GWN7
Drive it. You will have a great trip. I did 1700 mi in my V8 914 last year to bring it home. Resist the urge to make up time along the way or you will meet some very nice State Troopers like I did. biggrin.gif
VegasRacer
Drive It. driving.gif
Andyrew
Drive It, bring spare parts.
and bring a 5 gallon gas tank... put it in the trunk, er... passangers seat.

books on tape, tons of food and drinks. all that jazz...

rhodyguy
1100 miles, north or east? i did just under 2300 worth of road trips last month. it's all about the drive. settle in, turn down the music and turn up the exhaust.

k
URY914
Does the price of ga$ figure in to this?
drive-ability
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 24 2006, 06:41 AM) *

Does the price of ga$ figure in to this?

Sure, I think about 600 dollars in gas will do it. I would also think about 1k in pant supply's. The cost is not a big part of the equation. I think around 3k for the trip etc. The big thing is the quality Gary will bring would cost 3x as much. The thought of braking something 500 miles away is my concern.
Another part is spending time with an old friend, we spent a lot of time in the 80s working on junk in the garage and had the best time. My wife suggests have a friend come along, can you imagine dragging someone for a combined 48 hour drive? The only one I would drag on this trip is my X. av-943.gif
effutuo101
I have doen two 1200 mile trips in my car and quite a few 3-500 milers. To much fun! Drive it like you stole it and take a list of 914 members that are along your path.
Chris
Elliot_Cannon
A long road trip sounds fun but then again there are a lot of good body/fab/paint shops here in Orange County. Call Max at South County Auto Body.
Cheers, Elliot
wbergtho
Drive it. I'm going to drive my V-8 car out to Portland from WI. That's about 4,000 miles round trip.

Bill
ptravnic
The car was made to be driven. Let it fulfill its destiny...
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 24 2006, 12:36 PM) *

The car was made to be driven. Let it fulfill its destiny...

agree.gif go for it. driving.gif
jd66921
I am buying a car in So Cal, and planning to drive it home to Texas, 1600
miles. Should be a good shakedowm cruise. Hope I make it.... driving.gif

Jeff
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.