Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Headlight conversion
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Rand
I want to shave the corners of my hood and get rid of the popup lights.

My original idea was to put projector beams in the turn signal buckets. Then I saw Felix is doing it (and doing it right BTW!!!! smilie_pokal.gif ).

Then I saw how much HID projectors cost... cough. Then I thought about some slim/wide lights just under the lip of the hood. Hmmm... I Photoshopped some GMC Yukon headlights into this example.

Opinions? What do you think?

Aaron Cox
square doesnt seem to fly with the roundness of the 914
Bruce Allert
clap56.gif Totally Cool clap56.gif

Good job... beer.gif

.....b
bernbomb914
What is the legal height limit for headlites?
neo914-6
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 23 2006, 09:09 PM) *

square doesnt seem to fly with the roundness of the 914

last I checked it was pretty rectangular, sure you weren't looking at a 911? av-943.gif

those lights are fine but they may be under 22" and may not have enough space under the bumper...
Rand
I played with round, but couldn't get a look I liked as well. I know it can be made to look better than this example though.

I also thought the short/wide format just under the lip would help make them look as high as possible since I would already be stretching the rules of legal headlight height.

SirAndy
QUOTE(Rand @ Apr 23 2006, 09:23 PM) *

I played with round, but couldn't get a look I liked as well. I know it can be made to look better than this example though.

I also thought the short/wide format just under the lip would help make them look as high as possible since I would already be stretching the rules of legal headlight height.

round looks certainly better, but there's no way they would be legal that low, round or not ...

wink.gif Andy
turboman808
hid in the turn signals is what I would do.

I wouldn't worry to much about legal limit since it seems half the stuff coming off the assembly line I wouldn't consider legal. Euro beam patterns are better anyways.

IMO suvs sholdn't be allowed to run there hids so high.

Hella free forms in the fogs position would work really good also.
Rand
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Apr 23 2006, 09:21 PM) *

those lights are fine but they may be under 22" and may not have enough space under the bumper...

The highest I could get them on my car would be with the top edge just over 20". No way to make them technically legal. But I don't know how much that is enforced?

If you mean space behind the bumper, I would be cutting holes in the front of the trunk metal behind the bumper and fabbing mounts so the faces of the lights would be flush with the bumper face.
Rand
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 23 2006, 09:28 PM) *

hid in the turn signals is what I would do. I wouldn't worry to much about legal limit since it seems half the stuff coming off the assembly line I wouldn't consider legal...
Hella free forms in the fogs position would work really good also.

I agree, HIDs in the signal buckets is ultimate. But Felix beat me to it. smile.gif I'd like to do something original. And there's a HUGE price difference.

I've seen a lot of cars running lights lower than 22" as well... I doubt it would be an issue, but I don't know how often it's enforced. It would suck to complete the conversion and get ticketed and have to revert.

If dropping the height is risky, then mounting the headlights at fog position would definitely be pushing it.
idea.gif

Thanks for the feedback.
Jeroen
since these lights are so low profile, you can prolly fit them in the original headlight buckets with a flush mounted clear lexan cover
Solo914
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 24 2006, 03:19 AM) *

since these lights are so low profile, you can prolly fit them in the original headlight buckets with a flush mounted clear lexan cover

How about something like this... This is off of a late model Acura NSX
IPB Image

fin
I'll weigh in.

I liked the first (rectangular) image better. Single round may be better than double round.

And I'll echo Turboman.

Cheapest/easiest way is to put headlights in the fog light positions and convert a fiberglass hood for the square hood look.

Do the turn signals have a height requirement? Could you move the turns down to the bumper and double stack the spendy eyeball burners?

Good Luck,

Fin

Eric_Shea
Nobody is answering Bernies question which I think would make a world of difference here. I don't believe any of the headlight in the bumper mods would make a street legal car.

Not trying to be a wet blanket but I thought before someone starts cutting and shaving...
marks914
QUOTE(bernbomb914 @ Apr 23 2006, 08:20 PM) *

What is the legal height limit for headlites?

24 inches to center of major (low beam) filament

Mark
Jeroen
The reason I suggested to mount them in the stock headlight buckets is that you don't have to worry about the height then...

I can't comment much on the legal height in the US, but here in Europe, that only seems to count for a manufacturer (so double check your rules about street legality)

I've seen quite a few 911s here with 935 conversions, which have the headlights in the front bumper and all are streetlegal here
Those even pass the TüV in Germany (and the German TüV is really anal about things)

You could also check for the Hella 90mm round units which are around $80 each IIRC (I'd be surprised if the Yukon headlights are much cheaper)

I'm still undecided myself...
I may go for round VW Rabbit headlights at the foglight location (cheap and simple)

Those NSX headlights sure look nice, but I'm sure they'll cost you an arm and a leg (or one of AAron's kidneys wink.gif)
horizontally-opposed
Best looking setup I've seen was a large. single round foglight mounted in each of the rectangular holes on the ends of the stock bumper. What made it amazing was that the top and bottom of the light was cut off a bit, so the light was round on the sides with a flat line at the top and bottom.

Wish I had a picture.

And wonder if a headlight could be made to fit there easily.

As for legality? I wonder how many police officers would pull you over for this...

pete
byndbad914
QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 24 2006, 11:41 AM) *

As for legality? I wonder how many police officers would pull you over for this...

pete

It wouldn't be legal, but it would also be highly unlikely that you were pulled over for it. Cops don't necessarily notice how low the lights are, but whether or not they are both working. I know a couple guys that know where the correct height is on their "stick" (the one they use to beat the law into you), so if they pull you over in a lowered car for speeding, or tint, or ? and you get lippy, they may walk to the front and measure just to add a few more violations to the list. But that is pretty much the only time they would enforce that rule - if your mouth talks you into it.

If you are breaking the law, they may pull you over, and then notice it. But if you are driving like a "reasonable" person, they would most likely not notice it. Bigger fish to fry. Get pulled over for speeding, then start in with the "I pay your salary" lines and such, and they will make certain you do pay their salary. biggrin.gif
turboman808
The NSX looks nice I have also seen that on some of the last model corvettes.

Here is what Dave did to the car I am about to own. I swear I am gonna pick it up this weekend biggrin.gif

drew365
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 24 2006, 03:47 PM) *

Here is what Dave did to the car I am about to own. I swear I am gonna pick it up this weekend biggrin.gif

I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of how the lights are mounted. Is that glass covering or lexan?
Joe Owensby
I'd love to see more photos of the NSX blights in the blue car. Looks nice from what I can see. Thanks
Brando
QUOTE(turboman808 @ Apr 24 2006, 03:47 PM) *

No front turn signals?

Or will people only see this car from behind? wink.gif
turboman808
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 24 2006, 08:18 PM) *

No front turn signals?

Or will people only see this car from behind? wink.gif

next to the fogs behind the grill
Jeroen
QUOTE(drew365 @ Apr 25 2006, 03:04 AM) *
I wouldn't mind seeing more pics of how the lights are mounted. Is that glass covering or lexan?

agree.gif post some detail pics when you get the car!

QUOTE(horizontally-opposed @ Apr 24 2006, 08:41 PM) *

Best looking setup I've seen was a large. single round foglight mounted in each of the rectangular holes on the ends of the stock bumper. What made it amazing was that the top and bottom of the light was cut off a bit, so the light was round on the sides with a flat line at the top and bottom.
And wonder if a headlight could be made to fit there easily.

That's what I'm currently thinking about
VW Rabbit headlights would be easy as they come with their own mounting/adjusting "cradle" that could easily be mounted to the front of the car

I'm not so much concerened about the cops pulling me over, but my annual inspection wink.gif

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.