Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: in a spin, both feet in!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
sean_v8_914
I looped it at the end of the slalom. I was already on the go pedal hard when she lost traction. I did not expect it, didnt even feel it start to come loose till...whoops(wrong line? marbles? dirty?) well, I did not push the clutch in fast enough and rotated teh engine and trans backwards. the abrupt change in direction of all that mass rotating at 4000rpm was a rather violent affair. I did not photo document everythign because this mornign my camera battery was dead and I just wanted to get it done.

the flywheel and crankshaft were tight. they were in fact welded together from the intense heat geneerated. the locate pin was sheered off. teh bolt holes in teh flywheel are ovaled out. the bolts were bent and left thread marks inside teh bolt holes.

the cooling fan sheered off all 3 bolts and the drift pin. the fan and flywheel are now toast

Brando
Holy raped ape batman! sad.gif

How's it look inside?
Joseph Mills
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 24 2006, 01:35 AM) *

I looped it at the end of the slalom.

well, I did not push the clutch in fast enough and rotated teh engine and trans backwards.

the cooling fan sheered off all 3 bolts and the drift pin. the fan and flywheel are now toast

ohmy.gif

Man, that is some really bad luck! mad.gif

I've seen many cars spin and roll backwards (ahem, including mine), and I have never seen such destructive consequences.

Time to block out a few evenings and git'her fixed. smash.gif

jhadler
Yoiks!!

I can only imagine the carnage inside the case... I hope the external mess is all there is, but it sure don't look good...

I've seen a bunch of people spin and reverse their motors, but I've never seen a motor destruct like that. Often, it's stuff like intake plumbing that gets blown out from being pressurized by the motor.

Good luke, I hope that it gets fixed quickly. The season has only just begun!

-Josh2
Mueller
ouch !!!

that must have made a racket !!!!

I have a fan you can have if you don't have an extra 1 yourself.

J P Stein
I comprehensivly looped it in a slalom yesterday.
It only cost me 10 sec.......I have lotso practice. idea.gif
Aaron Cox
CArnage! chowtime.gif

never seen one do that before....

faster left foot smile.gif

hope it is all external
hmeeder
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 24 2006, 12:30 PM) *

CArnage! chowtime.gif

never seen one do that before....

faster left foot smile.gif

hope it is all external

It was up and running two days later and didn't seem like the damage was internal. Since then he found the fan damage (hub bolts sheared.) he was on the freeway the at time and the car heated up like crazy. Started pinging like a mad dog at 2000 rpm before he shut it down.

If there's internal damage, I'm thinking that may be a more likely cause, as it was running strong prior to the overheat.

Sean also has an oil leak at the pump and has decidied to pull the motor and take care of that while he's at it.
Aaron Cox
the Gen light should have come on if he lost the fan......
skline
Going by what he showed in the pictures and his description, I would bet the crank is screwed up and would not trust it. Anyone want to wager on it?
Andyrew
engine needed more tq so it would light the tires, not rotate them... lol

sucks... looks like $$$
hmeeder

Yep, it did. Unfortunately, on a sunny day, that damned light isn't very obvious. It wasn't until he heard the pinging that he saw the light.

Seems pretty upbeat, despite everything. He's got plenty of parts to build another motor.
skline
QUOTE(hmeeder @ Apr 24 2006, 01:09 PM) *

Yep, it did. Unfortunately, on a sunny day, that damned light isn't very obvious. It wasn't until he heard the pinging that he saw the light.

Seems pretty upbeat, despite everything. He's got plenty of parts to build another motor.

That is because Sean is a Pack Rat! I have known him for a few years now and he keeps everything unless he is absolutely sure he will not need it ten years down the road. He has quite a stash. I only wish he lived closer.
hmeeder
That is because Sean is a Pack Rat!

Don't I know it! Whenever I need anything I call him first. He lives about 2 miles from me and without his help, I would not be driving right now.

In fact, he's pretty much responsible for the motor's configuration and I don't thank him publicly enough for all he does. He also seems to get a genuine kick out of keeping as many people on the road as he can, so he's a pure 914 non-club kind of guy.

For my part, I try to help him as much as I can with his driving skills. If I don't have a student, he's in my car or I'm in his. He's making good progress (except that spin, that is. That wasn't on the ciriculum!)
skline
So its a case of the blind leading the blind? av-943.gif

Sorry, I just couldnt help myself on that one. biggrin.gif
hmeeder
So its a case of the blind leading the blind?

Hence the white canes taped to the fenders! laugh.gif
bondo
Wow, I never thought such a small amount of rotation would cause that much galling! It couldn't have moved more than a few degrees, right? It seems to me that a flywheel would never sit flat on that crank now, and it could lead to wierd clutch problems.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(skline @ Apr 24 2006, 12:51 PM) *

Going by what he showed in the pictures and his description, I would bet the crank is screwed up and would not trust it. Anyone want to wager on it?

I sure as hell would not be willing to trust that crankshaft any more!!

--DD
Mugs914
agree.gif That one needs to become a lamp...

Sorry to hear about that Sean. Hope it all comes good.

BTW- Despite what Herb says, reversing through the slaloms has never been the quickest way for me... dry.gif smile.gif biggrin.gif
sean_v8_914
wow. thanks for teh nice comments

the car is running again. the clutch is "funny" but OK for now. I dont trust any of it. I WILL be at teh next AX.

I had teh top off (of course)and teh sun was warm and bright and I was in traffic, too busy watchign cars not gauges. . I was rolling very light on teh throttle due to traffic so it wasnt till I got free of teh car clot that I really heard the ping and cheched gauges. once I noticed the oil temp creeping up, I noticed the pinging getting worse. then i put 2+2 together and looked at teh gen light. I coasted from Childrens hospital on teh 805s to the bottom of the ramp on 8east.

I made teh oil leak worse. I will remove the power package next week again to fix teh oil pump. the pump gear got smacked rather hard also. the spin was very quick, no tim e to really catch it. the ass end really whipped around quickly. I suspect gravel, marbles or oil on teh track. I am fairly good at catching the car (right Herb?)
sean_v8_914
I'll take that fan. I gave up my last ballanced fan just one week before this event. I need to build up another motor quickly before this oen lets go. I wanted an extra on teh shelf but it was not in teh plan till mid summer.

who has align-bore bearings at a fair price these days? I bought my last set from IMC but they are out. I need +.020 with standard thrust. does anyone have + thrust? I know a guy wiht 2 nice cases but the thrust is loose
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(sean_v8_914 @ Apr 25 2006, 09:58 AM) *

I'll take that fan. I gave up my last ballanced fan just one week before this event. I need to build up another motor quickly before this oen lets go. I wanted an extra on teh shelf but it was not in teh plan till mid summer.

who has align-bore bearings at a fair price these days? I bought my last set from IMC but they are out. I need +.020 with standard thrust. does anyone have + thrust? I know a guy wiht 2 nice cases but the thrust is loose

tried FAT or Jake?

sean_v8_914
I am sure Jake has them but he is priced higher than other sources. I have not checked FAT or RIMCO yet
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.