Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.0 vanagon motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
Is a 2.0l motor from an 81 or 82 vanagon essentially the same as our 2.0l motors? I have a chance to get a longblock cheap.
type47
yes..... and no.

oil dipstick is different
L-jet not D-jet
oil fill is different
exhaust ports are square, not round

others will list more...
URY914
Pistons are diff I believe.
popcorn[1].gif
bd1308
I have bus heads that have oval ports instead of the square ones.

The bus pistons are VERY dished. Low compression.

Heads have smaller valves than the 2.0 914 engine, four stud intake manifold instead of the 2.0L 914's three stud......

b
type47
79-83 bus heads are called vanagon heads b/c of the square ports

72 (?) -78 bus heads do have round (oval) ports
Ctrout
So would it be worthwhile to purchase as a core motor to build a 1911 from? Or could I put it in the teener so I can still drive it while I build my current 1.8?
bd1308
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Apr 24 2006, 07:48 PM) *

So would it be worthwhile to purchase as a core motor to build a 1911 from? Or could I put it in the teener so I can still drive it while I build my current 1.8?

i'd do plan A....

that 1911 is supposed to be torquey...

b
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 24 2006, 07:16 PM) *

QUOTE(Ctrout @ Apr 24 2006, 07:48 PM) *

i'd do plan A....

that 1911 is supposed to be torquey...

b

its a short stroke.... tends to be more of a rev'r compared to a 2l

its a big bore 1.8 short storke.....
TROJANMAN
wasn't there a thread a while back about hig rev engines happy11.gif
MEMtheMercifull
QUOTE(TROJANMAN @ Apr 24 2006, 07:38 PM) *

wasn't there a thread a while back about hig rev engines happy11.gif

There are several differant 2.0 Bus engines Some have exaust ports exactly like the 2.0 914 heads others have a squair port that takes a regular gasket . All of the Bus heads have the Spark plug hole located on the upper side of the head (if your looking at the engine from the top they stick up ) instead of next to were the manifolds bolt to the intake port on the 914 heads . This changes the configuration of the " Squish Band " in the combustion chamber .914 heads have 3 intake studs busses have 4 . If you want or need more info contact me at limerickenigma@yahoo.com and I'll tell ya anything I know buut them ! Name is mark , C ya
Dave_Darling
The different oil filler and dipstick location means you've got some machining to do to use the crankcase in a 914. Not worth it IMHO.

At least you get the 71mm crank and the rods to go with it, but that's about it....

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.