Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: European Cooler Air ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Greetings all...

In my search for A/C options for my teener, I ran in to this web site : www.europeancoolerair.com

I've spoken to the guy((J. West) and he seems to know what he's talking about. Said he worked for Porsche dealers in the early days installing A/C kits (DPD and VPC).

Currently he makes Custom A/C kits for lots of cars, and knows that a lot of 914 owners don't like the putting A/C in as they have to cut the front trunk up. Says he has at least two options that allow you to put the evaporator in out of the way places so that the main car stays intact.

I'm meeting with him sometime this week once I get my car... He's going to bring pictures of what he has done and talk over the options.

Just wondering if :

1) Anyone knows the guy, or has experience with him ...

or

2) If anyone would be interested in hearing what I find out when I meet with him.

Thanks

Doug
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Apr 24 2006, 08:53 AM) *

Greetings all...

In my search for A/C options for my teener, I ran in to this web site : www.europeancoolerair.com

I've spoken to the guy((J. West) and he seems to know what he's talking about. Said he worked for Porsche dealers in the early days installing A/C kits (DPD and VPC).

Currently he makes Custom A/C kits for lots of cars, and knows that a lot of 914 owners don't like the putting A/C in as they have to cut the front trunk up. Says he has at least two options that allow you to put the evaporator in out of the way places so that the main car stays intact.

I'm meeting with him sometime this week once I get my car... He's going to bring pictures of what he has done and talk over the options.

Just wondering if :

1) Anyone knows the guy, or has experience with him ...

or

2) If anyone would be interested in hearing what I find out when I meet with him.

Thanks

Doug

I would like to know what he says and has available.

Jerry
I have a friend in Dallas that has a 1976 912E and he used them to put a/c in it 2 summers ago. He could not be more pleased. It doesn't drag his engine down at all. I have seen his installation and it is very clean. This guy apparently knows what he is doing. mueba.gif
jd66921
I certainly want to hear more! The Texas coast is not exactly pleasant in the
summer.

Jeff
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Jerry @ Apr 24 2006, 06:33 AM) *

I have a friend in Dallas that has a 1976 912E and he used them to put a/c in it 2 summers ago. He could not be more pleased. It doesn't drag his engine down at all. I have seen his installation and it is very clean. This guy apparently knows what he is doing. mueba.gif

That is GREAT to hear! w00t.gif

I'll give y'all the details once I meet with him.. I'll let him know that there might be a few of us interested.

Doug
tat2dphreak
keep us posted... I'm interested
Joe Owensby
I am also definitely interested. Joe O.
D1A3
I'm interested too. So far, have not found a solution that meets my requirements of NOT cutyting up your car. I'd liek to be able to just buy a "kit" that bolts on (more or less) with minimal fabrication and cutting.

Please keep us all posted!
dagdal1967
I'm meeting with Jerry today so I'll likely have some info tonight (or later this afternoon) to share.

Stay tuned.

Doug
Pnambic
I've ordered non-AC stuff from James Adams (of JWest Engineering) and been very pleased. I think he's out of Fort Worth, TX. Same guy? I dunno. What are the chances of coming across two James in Texas associated with "JWest" and Porsche 914's...? confused24.gif

Well, Texas is a pretty big state....

If it is the same guy, I speak highly of him.
dagdal1967
Ok.. I met with Jerry West of European Cooler Air. Seemed like a really nice guy and really knew his way around a 914.

First off, I need to say that I was mistaken when I said that his kits do not require cutting the front trunk. His kits do require cuts but they are much less invasive cuts than the standard DPD and/or VPC kits required.

He has basic KITS. All parts are FACTORY NEW and fabricated specifically for the kit. They also use flat multi-groove belts and pulleys.

1) Single condensor unit, rotary compressor, all hoses, and under dash evaporator unit.

With this unit the condensor sits on the floor of the front trunk and measures a measely 3" high. It is encased in a study metal case and has a dual speed fan with a pressure sensor that switches the fan speed, as well as a cut out swtich which is based on the "freon" pressure.

This unit delivers approximately 1700 BTU

COST : $1795

2) Same as above but Double condensor system

With this unit, a second short but wide condensor is placed in the engine bay pitched so that it get the benefit of the air being sucked in by the engine fan.

This unit delivers between 1900 and 2000 BTU. (Was specifically designed for use in "the south" where temps easily reach 100+ degrees.

COST: $2095 (this also includes a larger "serpentine" coil system.

*** He also has two under dash evaporator options. The base unit (that is included in the price of the kit) is a 3/4 length unit which goes from the passenger side over to just cross the center "hump" area. The second is a FULL length evaporator that goes fully from side to side (An extra $30 for the FULL length option).

In each case you get 5 directional vents, and if you have a center console it does NOT have to be chopped. It fits AROUND the console leaving it intact and visible.

As for the cuts in the trunk floor, they are minimal compared to the old style. You cut to make about a 3 inch flap, with the bottom edge being the piece that is still connected to the trunk floor, in the front of the trunk wall. This gets bent down to an angle of approximatley 20 degrees (just enough to make an 'air scoop' which funnels air into the condensor unit.

The second cut is approximately the same, but at the back of the unit to let the air escape as it rakes across the condensor.

He is supposed to be sending me the "INSTALL GUIDE" so that I can share it with who ever might be interested.

I saw pictures of the work he's done, and it looks Top Knotch! The components are Professional quality and none of it (and I mean NONE) looks like it was done by a hobbiest.

He was talking to me about some of the work he's done and its been on everthing from VW Bugs to Ferarris

If you're interested, please feel free to contact him directly ... You'll find his details on the web site (http://www.europeancoolerair.com/). Just tell him that you heard about it from me (Doug Gault).

Hope this helps. It looks like this is what I'm going to go with. I like the idea of an OEM look but with all brand new parts and a less invasive install.

Let me know if you have any questions, and I'll let you know when I have the INSTALL GUIDE to share!

Thanks!

doug

PS... For those in the D/FW area, if you're looking for him to install it, that is an extra $1000.

D.
dagdal1967
icon_bump.gif

For those of you who were interested but don't read past the first page of posts...

blink.gif
Joe Bob
The guy with the 912E....how much did he pay?
tat2dphreak
not an unreasonable price really... sounds good... I think the 2k kit would be over-kill
agrump
There was mention that the compressor setup was entirely under the cooling tins and did not require them to be cut, is that still the case?

Thanks
nomore9one4
Dagdal, if you are still looking for a set of visors there is a set ending on ebay in a few hours. NO affiliation. Just thought I would let you know.
Jerry
The guy with the 912E....how much did he pay? I don't know, I didn't ask him
MarkV
There sure seems to be a lot of interest in A/C lately.

Sounds like his cuts to the front trunk are similar to what I did. I made a frame out of 1/2" box tubing and welded it to the chassis. It is strong enough that I can use the center to jack up my car.

I don't think there is a way to install the compressor without cutting the engine shelf. It is close but if you did manage to get it installed without a cut you would have to pull the engine to service the compressor. I made a piece of my engine shelf removable to service the belt & compressor. I have a 2" notch in the engine shelf that I would like to figure out how to cover with some kind of rubber boot or fiberglass shroud.

The cab of a 914 is small. In my opinion, you should be able to cool it with a smaller evaporator than they used originally

Are you getting tired of seeing these photos yet? dead horse.gif

MarkV
under

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.