Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Lower windshield seal
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
watsonrx13
Do I need to remove the windshield to replace the lower windshield seal? (T)

Click to view attachment

I also need to replace the vinyl covering between the dash pad and the windshield, it was removed by the PO, does anyone have a template they can send me so I can cut a new piece from?

-- Rob
914-8
I had the windshield out recently and looked at that seal. It looked like it would be a lot easier to replace it with the windshield out. Not sure if it's 100% impossible with the wind in, though.

I DO know, though, that it seems hard to get that part. I believe it is NLA (that's what I was told when I tried to get it a couple of months ago), and you'd have to find someone who happens to have one laying around.
914Sixer
Windshield has to come out. The seal goes on body. Taking the dash out won't help.
watsonrx13
QUOTE(914Sixer @ Apr 24 2006, 11:27 AM) *

Windshield has to come out. The seal goes on body. Taking the dash out won't help.

Thanks, that the definitive answer I needed...

-- Rob
Elliot_Cannon
I just did mine. Definately gotta take the windshield out. Certainly much easier that way. I replaced mine with a seal I got from Automobile Atlanta. $107 for German part and about $33 for other. The original German part has metal chanel that needs to be tapped on the body with a hammer. The cheaper seal needs to be glued on. When I called AA I asked that they personally check to see if the part was available, he put me on hold, came back and assured me the part was "on the shelf". I got it about 4 or 5 days later.
Cheers, Elliot
Did you sell the ski rack?
davesprinkle
QUOTE(Elliot Cannon @ Apr 24 2006, 11:59 AM) *

I just did mine. Definately gotta take the windshield out. Certainly much easier that way. I replaced mine with a seal I got from Automobile Atlanta. $107 for German part and about $33 for other. The original German part has metal chanel that needs to be tapped on the body with a hammer. The cheaper seal needs to be glued on. When I called AA I asked that they personally check to see if the part was available, he put me on hold, came back and assured me the part was "on the shelf". I got it about 4 or 5 days later.
Cheers, Elliot
Did you sell the ski rack?

Yeah, what Elliot said. That seal is essentially, although not officially, NLA. No-one has it and no-one can say when they'll get it. I called AA and talked with Dr. 914 himself. He seemed a bit offended when I refused to give him my credit card number on his personal assurance that the seal was on the shelf. "I know my inventory like the back of my hand," he said. "OK," said I, "I'll wait until you have it in your hand." Coupla minutes on hold, he came back and said he had 2 left. So I ordered one and it showed up in a week. That was 2 weeks ago. The point of the story is that he's only got one left, unless it's been sold too.
Series9
I need one for the TurtleGirl build, but Pelican shows it NLA.
SirAndy
theoretically, it can be done *without* removing the windshield.

the lip the seal is pressed on (the original seal with the metal lining) does *not* touch the windshield and the windshield does not sit on the seal at all ...
smile.gif Andy
robby750
QUOTE(SirAndy @ Apr 24 2006, 02:01 PM) *

theoretically, it can be done *without* removing the windshield.

the lip the seal is pressed on (the original seal with the metal lining) does *not* touch the windshield and the windshield does not sit on the seal at all ...
smile.gif Andy

Theoretically, but has anyone actually done it? I have a brand new one that I would love to install but I am afraid to remove the old one and then find that the windshield is going to have to come out sad.gif . It looks doable but I'm waiting to hear if anyone else has done it.
iamchappy
I did it with the windshield in but it gets tricky in the corners and was not happy with the result, it would be way better to do it with the windshield out.
michel richard
Does anybody have a close-up picture of the seal, as installed ? I have trouble picturing it in my mind
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.