Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: HOT Solvent/cleaning tanks works great !
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
I added "heat" to my cleaning tank (cheap harbor freight unit)

The heating element (and mandatory thermostat) and threaded bracket all came from Home Depot, I think the cost was less than $30 for the parts.

A hole was cut and the bracket welded to the tank.

There are 2 different type of elements, this one cost a few bucks more, but will not burn out as easily if accidently turned on without being submerged.

Solution is water with Castrol SuperClean (about a 10:1 ratio)

Thermostat set at 130° (goes up to 150°)

The trailing arm in the picture was in the tank for less than 2 hours...once solution reached ideal temperature, power was left on for about another 20 minutes and then shut off. I will be adding insulation to the tank at a later date.

Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment
Click to view attachment

1970 Neun vierzehn
Nice clean hardware, but from the looks of the pic, the fumes may be taking the "color" off your palms as well! BTW, where and how do you dispose of the used cleaning solvent?
Mueller
QUOTE(1970 Neun vierzehn @ Apr 24 2006, 10:10 AM) *

Nice clean hardware, but from the looks of the pic, the fumes may be taking the "color" off your palms as well! BTW, where and how do you dispose of the used cleaning solvent?

hahaha, nah, those trees have been that way for a while smile.gif

I only brought the tank out to the front yard to do the cutting/welding....gotta keep the neighbors wondering what I am up to screwy.gif

For the solvent, we have a free local hazardous waste station. Once junked up, I'll let some of the water evaporate and then fillup the old cleaning solution containers and drop them off.
neo914-6
Yeah but does it work on cloth diapers? laugh.gif
richardL
Mike,

When you do that, does it screw up the bearings or did you remove them first?

R
Mueller
QUOTE(richardL @ Apr 24 2006, 11:20 AM) *

Mike,

When you do that, does it screw up the bearings or did you remove them first?

R

Hi Richard, I removed the bearings first, the grease wouldn't stand a chance with the heat and cleaning solution.

Trekkor
That's looks fantastic.

Good work. clap56.gif

KT
bondo
Do you think the heat would benefit a tank filled with mineral spirits? I'd think it would just turn it into a fume/fire hazard. smile.gif

Maybe next time around I'll switch to a water based degreaser.
John
I didn't realize that SuperClean would take off paint like that.

Was it submerged?
Mueller
QUOTE(JOHNMAN @ Apr 24 2006, 11:50 AM) *

I didn't realize that SuperClean would take off paint like that.

Was it submerged?

Halfway submerged, I had to "flip" the part....I can now add more fluid if I wish, I was doing "leakage" test 1st smile.gif
There is an a-arm and other parts inside the tank at the same time.

Adding some agitation icon_bump.gif to the tank would make it even quicker to remove the dirt/grease/paint.

Aaron Cox
agitation - borrow twystd1's vibrator tongue.gif
McMark
Mike, I gave you the wrong trailing arms. I need those back. lol2.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 24 2006, 12:53 PM) *

hahaha, good try....Randal has those trailing arms...these are off the '73....as for wrong parts, yes, you gave me the wrong front struts...the pair you gave me are from an early 911 or a /6 wacko.gif
McMark
I told you I didn't know for sure they were right. My strut ID skills are sub-par. unsure.gif
Mueller
Mark........is the sandblasting cabinet up and running??

what about the powdercoating oven???

I'm still on fence about powdercoating these parts or just using rust-oleum and bake 'em....
McMark
Blaster is ready to go with glass bead.

Powder coater needs a couple hours of woodworking to build and someone to motivate me. wink.gif I have access to an IR heater temporarily.
Porcharu
Hey Mike - have you thought about using some Biodiesel as a solvent? It is suppossed to be a wicked solvent and it has a high flashpoint.
356&914&912E

Hey Mike

What size tank is that and what are the SKU numbers for the parts from Home Depot?

Thanks

Ron
Mueller
QUOTE(356&914&912E @ Apr 24 2006, 02:57 PM) *

Hey Mike
What size tank is that and what are the SKU numbers for the parts from Home Depot?
Thanks
Ron

Mine is the 20 gallon tank for $79.99...HF Solvent/parts cleaning tanks

I'm pretty sure I still have the original packaging stuff from the piece parts, I'll try and look for them this week.

Steve, no, I never thought about the biodiesel....I wouldn't even begin to think of where to buy it.... confused24.gif
McMark
Craigslist. wink.gif
jsteele22

Looks fun. As for using mineral spirits or other organic solvents, do NOT try that ! Heat will change them from merely flamable liquid to explosive vapors.

The Castrol Superclean, and also the Purple Power from FLAPS, is a water-based mixture of lye (NaOH) and (I think) Butoxy-ethanol. I'm sure the later helps emulsify grease (makes it soluble in water), but even just the Lye + water +heat combo will strip paint. Used to be used for stripping furniture. And as nasty as Lye is, you can neutralize it with Hydrochloric acid (HCl) and end up with saltwater (NaCl + H2O). Hydrochloric acid, for some reason, gets sold under the name Muriatic acid.
Randal
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 24 2006, 12:58 PM) *

QUOTE(McMark @ Apr 24 2006, 12:53 PM) *

hahaha, good try....Randal has those trailing arms...these are off the '73....as for wrong parts, yes, you gave me the wrong front struts...the pair you gave me are from an early 911 or a /6 wacko.gif

No I don't.

They should now be sitting in Chris Foley shop waiting for the
complete re-strengthing process.

It took me about two hours to clean them before packing them up
and sending them to Chris. I like your process much better Mike! smilie_pokal.gif

Have you got new needle bearings for the two trailing arms, post Chris Foley Fabrication?

I kind of doubt I can remove and use the needle bearings that Brad and I put in my existing trailing arms. What do you think Mike?
McMark
Randal, let's talk about trading uninstalled bearings for your installed set. wink.gif
Randal

Sounds good to me Mark.

I'll let you know Chris's schedule as soon as I hear.

Mueller
and sending them to Chris. I like your process much better Mike! smilie_pokal.gif

if you got anything else that needs the treatment, just drop it off and I'll throw it in the tank with my stuff.....
Randal
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 24 2006, 04:22 PM) *

if you got anything else that needs the treatment, just drop it off and I'll throw it in the tank with my stuff.....

OH BoY! smile.gif
crash914
Castrol has a lot of caustic in it...

Hot caustic works the bomb on paint...That is what we used to clean our mixing tanks at Sherwin-WIlliams....
Mueller
Part numbers:

heating element=CAMCO MFG. SKU#15597

universal element adapter kit= CAMCO MFG. SKU#15712

cannot find the package for the thermostat, but same brand and should be right with the other parts.

Brando
If you go to Kragen you can also get a 5-gallon drum of "Carburetor Cleaner" for a few bucks. That stuff is some caustic shit! It'll eat 30-year old oil off of cam towers and carbon buildup on pistons like nothin. Just don't get any on your clothes or skin... It'll smell for a week, not to mention burn like hell. Best stuff you can find, unless you got some cleaners and solvents from the 60s and 70s lying around.
Dave Bell
Mike....

That is excellent...

I have some trailing arms that I was just about to get at to do some restoration on... and I have one of those Harbor Freight solvent tanks...

I see a weekend project in my near future.

thanks for sharing this one.

- Dave
Mueller
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 24 2006, 10:34 PM) *

Part numbers:

cannot find the package for the thermostat, but same brand and should be right with the other parts.

I found the packaging for the thermostat= CAMCO MFG. SKU#15449
Aaron Cox
so how long till we see heated solvent tanks in the club store mike? LOL
356&914&912E
QUOTE(Mueller @ May 9 2006, 09:40 AM) *

Part numbers:

Mike

I finally got to a town with Home Depot stores and collected the above three items. How did you wire it (240 volts)?

Thanks
Ron
Bishop, CA
Mueller
QUOTE(356&914&912E @ Jun 14 2006, 08:22 AM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ May 9 2006, 09:40 AM) *

Part numbers:

Mike

I finally got to a town with Home Depot stores and collected the above three items. How did you wire it (240 volts)?

Thanks
Ron
Bishop, CA

The wiring diagram is on the thermostat packaging...and yes, I used the 240v since it's more effecient than the 120v
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.