Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Got My Car!
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
dagdal1967
Well, My car was finally delivered today and showed up very much as expected. Its hard when you depend on someone else to do the PPI for you and dont actually see the car in person 'till it arrives on your doorstep.

Its very nice to know that there are still good honest people out there who represent things as they really are! THANKS STEVE!

Now... In driving it around for the few minutes I have (its not registered yet) and then crawing all over the car, I noticed that the shocks/springs are really noisy and creaky. Is this just the fact that it hasn't been driven for a long while and the whole thing probably needs lubricated, or is this a sign that I need new shocks?

I'll be doing several things to it over the next weekend or two so I'll post pictures...

Any news on blogs being re-instated.. Seems like that would be the right place to do it.

Thanks!!

Doug
TROJANMAN
thisthreadisworthlesswithoutpics.gif

biggrin.gif somebody was going to say it sooner or later

congrats on the car. where was it delivered from?

is it the same one mentioned in your sig line?
mike_the_man
Front or rear suspension? If the front has been rebuilt and the bushings weren't greased, they'll creak. I don't think there's a good way to grease them without pulling the whole thing apart.

And congrats on the new car! beerchug.gif
lapuwali
Chances are what you're hearing are squeaky bushings, not springs. It may have poly bushings (like Weltmeister sells), which squeak like crazy if they're not lubed properly. Lubing them means disassembing the suspension unless someone had the foresight to use Zerk fittings.

Shocks will visibly show signs of oil leakage if they're so bad they're squeaking, unless all of the oil is gone, in which case a simple bounce test will tell all.
dagdal1967
Its a rear suspension thing... And it does sound like the bushing problem as desribed.

i had a look at the shocks and they aren't leaking that I can tell, and its not at all "Bouncy"... Nice and solid as I would expect.

I'll just add greasing the bushings to the list of things to do...

As for pics.. I'll get them soon. The poor girl just rolled off the truck from the D.C. area and hasn't had a chance to take a bath.. Give a girl her modesty..

wub.gif
scotty b
I think I saw that car last Thurs or Fri coming through richmond on a car carrier!! Where did it come from ? When I saw it the carrier was heading south on 95, coming through Rich at about 8:45-9:00 am. Damn near got whiplash and caused a wreck biggrin.gif
dagdal1967
cool.gif--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 24 2006, 03:13 PM) *</div><div class='quotemain'><!--quotec-->
I think I saw that car last Thurs or Fri coming through richmond on a car carrier!! Where did it come from ? When I saw it the carrier was heading south on 95, coming through Rich at about 8:45-9:00 am. Damn near got whiplash and caused a wreck biggrin.gif
[/quote]

It was coming from Centerville VA. :-) Yeah.. that was probably it!
Jack Daniels
Glad you finally got it! Hope it's as I described it and as reported by the PPI. I'm puzzled by the creakiness. Perhaps it's from being strapped to the carrier for a while. It didn't creak whenever I drove it. The shocks are from the late 90's (you should have the receipt), but probably don't even have 10k miles on them.
Jack Daniels
QUOTE(scotty b @ Apr 24 2006, 07:13 PM) *

Did it look like this? wink.gifClick to view attachment
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Apr 24 2006, 06:27 PM) *

Glad you finally got it! Hope it's as I described it and as reported by the PPI. I'm puzzled by the creakiness. Perhaps it's from being strapped to the carrier for a while. It didn't creak whenever I drove it. The shocks are from the late 90's (you should have the receipt), but probably don't even have 10k miles on them.

Hey there! Glad to see you still on the board! Yes, everything got here exactly as expected. She was dirty, but in great shape!

The creaks have subsided and I don't hear them when I'm driving it. Mostly when I jacked it up to look underneath. So I'm not worried about it at all.

While I've got your attention, Do you remember when you put the Carb on, did you change the cam to a "carb friendly" one, or is it the stock cam?

Doug
dagdal1967
MORE QUESTIONS:

1. At the front of the engine on top of what looks like the main cooling fan, there is a threaded hole that does not have a cap? What is that , and what should it go to? (Keep in mind there is a single carb setup on the engine). The image below is an almost exact duplicate of my setup (although not my car). The hole I'm talking about is directly under the flex heter hose where the arrow indicates.

2. When I turn the key to the ACC. position, I hear a ticking noise about every half second coming from the engine compartment. With FI cars, I'm used to the fule pump priming the FI when you turn the key on, but my car has a CARB.. Is this still the fuel pump? and should it be that loud?

Doug
drewvw
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Apr 25 2006, 07:33 AM) *

MORE QUESTIONS:

1. At the front of the engine on top of what looks like the main cooling fan, there is a threaded hole that does not have a cap? What is that , and what should it go to? (Keep in mind there is a single carb setup on the engine).

If you look in there, can you see a big metal disc with fins (flywheel)? That's how you set the timing. There is a platic plug that supposed to be there.

dagdal1967
QUOTE(drewvw @ Apr 25 2006, 06:42 AM) *

If you look in there, can you see a big metal disc with fins (flywheel)? That's how you set the timing. There is a platic plug that supposed to be there.

Ok.. Fari enough.. Is this a HUGE problem that there is not a plug there.. Will it adversely affect the way the engine runs? Is it dangerous to the engine, or can I still drive it while I look for a plug?

D
Jack Daniels
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Apr 25 2006, 10:33 AM) *

MORE QUESTIONS:

1. At the front of the engine on top of what looks like the main cooling fan, there is a threaded hole that does not have a cap? What is that , and what should it go to? (Keep in mind there is a single carb setup on the engine). The image below is an almost exact duplicate of my setup (although not my car). The hole I'm talking about is directly under the flex heter hose where the arrow indicates.

2. When I turn the key to the ACC. position, I hear a ticking noise about every half second coming from the engine compartment. With FI cars, I'm used to the fule pump priming the FI when you turn the key on, but my car has a CARB.. Is this still the fuel pump? and should it be that loud?

Doug

Did the car turn red in shipping??? wink.gif

Yes, the hole needs a plastic plug. I just never got around to replacing it when it got lost.

The clicking is indeed the electric fuel pump. It's always sounded like that.
Jack Daniels
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Apr 25 2006, 11:00 AM) *

QUOTE(drewvw @ Apr 25 2006, 06:42 AM) *

Ok.. Fari enough.. Is this a HUGE problem that there is not a plug there.. Will it adversely affect the way the engine runs? Is it dangerous to the engine, or can I still drive it while I look for a plug?

D

The plug just seals the airbox around the fan. Not a huge deal to run without it IMO.
Jack Daniels
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Apr 25 2006, 10:28 AM) *

QUOTE(Jack Daniels @ Apr 24 2006, 06:27 PM) *

Hey there! Glad to see you still on the board! Yes, everything got here exactly as expected. She was dirty, but in great shape!

The creaks have subsided and I don't hear them when I'm driving it. Mostly when I jacked it up to look underneath. So I'm not worried about it at all.

While I've got your attention, Do you remember when you put the Carb on, did you change the cam to a "carb friendly" one, or is it the stock cam?

Doug

It is the stock cam.
dagdal1967
Steve, Thanks for answering all the questions and being around "after the sale". I know I've got a great car, but I also know that I'll have more questions..

Doug
Jack Daniels
QUOTE(dagdal1967 @ Apr 25 2006, 11:41 AM) *

Steve, Thanks for answering all the questions and being around "after the sale". I know I've got a great car, but I also know that I'll have more questions..

Doug

Not a problem.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.