Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: exhaust studs
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bd1308
I need this thing working.

7 of the exhaust studs are the normal 13mm wrench variety, but there's ONE that isnt teh 13mm one, nor any other nut I have ever seen.

is there any OTHER *stock* (doesn't look stock though) choice for nuts?

i mean could the guy have stepped down from a M8 to a M6 or something?

actually i think its smaller than a M6, not for sure, just my gut feeling. I almost want to try a clutch cable nut to see if that will cinch down.

b
ClayPerrine
Try a 12mm.

Japanese cars use an M8 nut that is a 12mm on the outside.

They believe 13mm is unlucky.

bd1308
it looks smaller than the M8 though, which prompted my search for the stud *smaller* than M8, which would be M6?

I can't imagine what happened there, maybe some threaded insert or helicoil to go from M8 to M6 or something to that nature?

b
bd1308
like clay, I'm referring to the stud itself...I had both 12mm outside and 13mm outside nuts on my old engine, but they were all M8 on the inside....

b
bondo
So it still looks like a nut (6 sided) yet no socket fits it? Try 10-14mm and 7/16-9/16.. then try whitworth. smile.gif
ClayPerrine
If the stud is undersized, then you need to extract it and replace it.

I just weld an old nut onto the effed up stud and let it cool. then I unscrew it and replace it.
bondo
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 24 2006, 06:41 PM) *

like clay, I'm referring to the stud itself...I had both 12mm outside and 13mm outside nuts on my old engine, but they were all M8 on the inside....

b

Ooh, could be M7.. that'd be unusual though. Clutch cable nuts are M7 I think. Could also be 1/4-20 or 1/4-28. Both of those would be seriously DAPO. smile.gif
VaccaRabite
QUOTE(bondo @ Apr 24 2006, 09:43 PM) *

So it still looks like a nut (6 sided) yet no socket fits it? Try 10-14mm and 7/16-9/16.. then try whitworth. smile.gif

Beat me to it. Actually, after restoring a few brit vehicles, whitworth was the first theing that came into my mind.

Zach
bd1308
sockets arent teh problem. Also wouldnt be a problem if I already had a nut to go along with this stud. But I'll try to get some M7 nuts and some M6 ones and go to town tomorrow.

b
Aaron Cox
why not just buy the right stud (and dont you have some core heads there?) and put an OE stud in.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.