Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Bad Optima battery?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Jamie
I installed an Optima in "Dad's Mistress"(73 original 1.7L)last summer, and now it won't hold enough charge to start when it sits for more than a week. I reinstalled the old battery and it works like a champ when it sits for 4 weeks, so it must be the battery. I don't have any way to load test the Optima, so back to the dealer after I look for the warrantee. Any advice?
smooth_eddy
Try cleaning up your terminals. What is your charging voltage read with a digital meter? I had similar problems till I installed a mini starter. No more starting problems now. Eddy
turboman808
Alot of the honda guys are having trouble with the yellow tops. Seems the red tops are no problem. I just ordered a stinger battery. Never heard of them but are said to be good.

Opps sorry bought an oddesy
wbergtho
I had a Optima battery (red top) go bad after about 6 months and returned it for a new one. I don't think they are the "latest greatest technology". They Fu__ up just as much as a Sear's Die Hard.
markb
Optimas need a very low, slow, recharge. Try charging it with a trckle charger & see if that works.
Britain Smith
Optimas are crap these days...made in China. Get an excide oddessey battery...much better!

-Britain
rick 918-S
dead after 3 months
Hoss
Yes, I have had similar problems with two red top Optimas back to back. They worked like a champ for about 9-12 months, and had to take both back for a new one. This last one is less than 3 months old so I do not know if it will have the same pathology.

I had to buy a Vector battery charger and monitor the charges with a DVM. I only charge it up at a 2 amp current setting. A faster rate than that and it does not hold a charge well.

I also have a blue top that is about 6 months old that is behaving so far, but it is too early to tell if it will have any better legs.

Keep your original receipt and just keep taking it back.
dwillouby
When I built my car I had a yellow top installed. On the second test drive the car died. It had lost all electrical power. Could not jump start it with another car or push start it. I discovered the battery had an internal short killing everything. disconnected it and push started the car and got home using the alt. power. Now I have a blue top and it has worked so far about a year.

David
anthony
My first Optima red top lasted two years. It was partly my fault because I later found out that the voltage regulator was flakey and I was constantly under charging it. The replacement red top has been great.

Also what I do now is disconnect the battery when the car is not in use over the winter. Slowly draining the battery with the clock isn't good for it. You can also use a battery maintainer if it isn't a daily driver and you don't want to disconnect the battery.

One final note. When Optimas get low they need to be shocked back to life with a high amp charge. This link is recommending four 100amp 15 minute charges plus trickle charging:

http://www.batteriesareus.com/index.php?ma...ages&pages_id=2

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.