Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to remove valve rockers on a 2.7?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nine14cats
I've torn down the 2.7 I bought for The Beast. All the way down. Now I'm disassembling the camshalft housing from the heads. I'm using Wayne's Pelican book and it says to take the valve rocker arms out before separating the heads from the cam housings.

So I'm supposed to use a 5mm allen on one end and a 8mm allen on the other. When I put them in I cannot get the rocker nuts / bolts to move at all. I don't want to force it.

Anyone have experience pulling these things? JP? Bueller? Anyone? Anyone?

I'll see if I can snap a pic if I can find the digital camera.

Bill P.
sixnotfour
try loosening the 5mm end ,holding the 8mm steady.
the 5mm end is an allen bolt passing thru the rocker shaft ,it will loosen before the 8mm end will.
nine14cats
Hi Jeff,

The book mentions this as well. My 5mm flexes in half basically and won't move it. I don't have enough room in the housing to fit my socket wrench with the 5mm allen. Should I just keep twisting? It sure looks like I'll snap my 5mm allen.

Thanks,

Bill P.
J P Stein
Jeff said it, that's the way they come apart.
There's only supposed to be around 13 ft/lbs torque on those suckers.
A small cheater bar on your allen wrench.
I use an inch/pound torque wrench and a home made socket/allen head
for the in&out.
Cap'n Krusty
QUOTE(nine14cats @ Apr 24 2006, 10:40 PM) *

Hi Jeff,

The book mentions this as well. My 5mm flexes in half basically and won't move it. I don't have enough room in the housing to fit my socket wrench with the 5mm allen. Should I just keep twisting? It sure looks like I'll snap my 5mm allen.

Thanks,

Bill P.

The ONE item I recommend from Harbor Freight is the ball end allen wrench (AKA Allen Key) set. Available in both metric ans US, they're great. Strurdy, retain their shape, and are a handy size. Reasonably priced, too. I don't see the sets I have in the online catalog, but here's a number that looks like it might be good:
ITEM 41003-3VGA. Go for it! BTW, I use them with part of the short leg cut off for less flex in the tool under load. The Cap'n
sixnotfour
susan says,(as well as JP) 3/8 drive 5mm stubby with inch pound torque wrench, makes life easy, no flex ,as Kap'n mentions
nine14cats
Thanks Guys,

Looks like I'll be tool shopping tomorrow.

Bill P.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.