Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: you can't turbo a teener ?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Gustl
eBay #4634661736

VW-Porsche 914 1.8 GTi Turbo idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl
Mueller
hmm, it'll be interesting to see if it sells and for how much....he needs to lower the poor car unless one really like the 4X4 off road look smile.gif
type47
my fantasy engine swap! but my fantasy was a 924 turbo to keep it a porsche engine. look at how easily you can get to the spark plugs!
dagdal1967
QUOTE(Gustl @ Apr 24 2006, 09:31 PM) *

eBay #4634661736

VW-Porsche 914 1.8 GTi Turbo idea.gif

wavey.gif Gustl

ANOTHER ONE IN DALLAS!!!!

TURBO 914
URY914
QUOTE(type47 @ Apr 25 2006, 04:27 AM) *

my fantasy engine swap! but my fantasy was a 924 turbo to keep it a porsche engine. look at how easily you can get to the spark plugs!

Shared with Audi and VW.
Mueller
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 25 2006, 08:55 AM) *

Shared with Audi and VW.

even worse...wasn't the 924 motor a delivery "Van" engine??? icon8.gif
Brando
924 engine was an audi motor. VW also used it in *I think* the vanagon and pickup trucks in the same time frame.
nocones
Ride height/ vehicle stance is funky. unsure.gif
Home Depot plumbing in the cooling system. icon8.gif
Funky looking slant nose conv. barf.gif
Nice e-brake! av-943.gif

ar15.gif
type47
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2006, 09:12 AM) *

QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 25 2006, 08:55 AM) *

Shared with Audi and VW.

even worse...wasn't the 924 motor a delivery "Van" engine??? icon8.gif

some pca events require a porsche motor in a porsche chassis so even though the 924 motor was shared with other makes, it would satisfy the rules. a type IV motor was a VW van motor at one time so i don't see what's so bad about a porsche derivative of either motors, type IV or turbo..... both are about 30 yrs old...
Gustl
QUOTE(Brando @ Apr 25 2006, 08:03 PM) *

924 engine was an audi motor. VW also used it in *I think* the vanagon and pickup trucks in the same time frame.

this is the VW LT which also used the 924 engine (AFAIK a little modified for more torque)

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

wavey.gif Gustl
Tobra
QUOTE(nocones @ Apr 25 2006, 11:23 AM) *

Ride height/ vehicle stance is funky. unsure.gif
Home Depot plumbing in the cooling system. icon8.gif
Funky looking slant nose conv. barf.gif
Nice e-brake! av-943.gif

ar15.gif

I like wrench holding the parking brake up, makes it look tough
Mueller

some pca events require a porsche motor in a porsche chassis so even though the 924 motor was shared with other makes, it would satisfy the rules. a type IV motor was a VW van motor at one time so i don't see what's so bad about a porsche derivative of either motors, type IV or turbo..... both are about 30 yrs old...

the payoff to install a 924turbo motor would never equal that to putting the same amount of work/money into a Type IV...it would be a conversation piece so that others could say "ooooookayyyyy, whatever floats your boat" smile.gif

I looked at all the different P-car powerplants for the same reason, none of the "alternative" watercooled powerplants made for a good swap in my opinion.

okieflyr
Click to view attachmentI've been driving my 914/GTI 1.8T around the neiborhood for about 4 weeks now.
I'm setting up for mostly auto-cross events. Most of my work has been setting up the chassis and body as a GT replica. I've found my deals on the drivetrain to have a good power to weight, as well as power per dollar ratio.
Some day when the kids are out of college, I may be able to afford the true Porsche power. But until then, i'll enjoy my higher power,lowercost,low maintenance, reliable german mutt car. mueba.gif

Kevin Barnes 34 XP
neo914-6
Hey Kevin,

Did you mount a front snub mount? Mine will have it on my 2.7tt... smile.gif

okieflyr
I looked at doing the snub mount alot, but ended up making a cross member that bolts in and replaces the original one. The engine mounts have rubber, but they are very firm, and there is some vibration. I do have the ability to play with different compounds at the member/body mount to further damp vibrations.
I felt it to be a bit simpler, but I do give up a little ground clearance as it is very heavy duty.(over built).
I'll try and find a pic this evening...

Kevin Barnes 34 XP
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.