Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: how many of us are there?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
nycchef
just curious but how many 914's are there still on the road in the U.S. and is there a listing of specific locations. i'm new to this forum so try and bear with the occasional stupid question kike this one
Part Pricer

This question gets asked all the time. The answer is 42. w00t.gif
rmital
..well Chef...in our area, there's me, Leo, you....and.....
rmital
...I'm sorry, you said on the road...that leaves just Leo.
Miss Mari
This is a great question, in our area there are 3 on the road, one in process and one parts. Is there a good count out there, Wannateener needs this info also for a school project he is doing. Would love a accurate (as best can be done) count.

All the cars out there on jackstands DONT COUNT! Unless your driving it, its not on the road.
balljoint
Check the top of the page, far right tab is the member's map. Make sure you add yourself to it too. stan.gif
drewvw
The nailed member map is pretty cool. I found out there are at least 3 other people in my town that have been on this site!

I actually bought my car in the hudson valley, a couple hours from you and relocated it to boston. Lots of old cars in upstate....
ptravnic
My long lost brother! I'm (as far as I know it) the only 914 driver in Manhattan. Havn't made the winter car/summer car switch yet (making that happen 13-May) but I'll be bumming around the city from Mid May through the fall. This will be my 3rd year having it in the city.

-Pete
rmital
..pot holes too big...how do you not bottom out? Even the metal plates and other roadway repairs got to kill you.
Howard
OK, as an ex Manhattanite, what the hell do ya do with a 914 there? I had this thought of 5am Sunday 'tour' through Central Park. Anyone tried that? How big was the fine? biggrin.gif
Part Pricer
QUOTE(Howard @ Apr 25 2006, 11:36 AM) *

what the hell do ya do with a 914 there?

Simple answer, you leave. biggrin.gif
ptravnic
QUOTE(Howard @ Apr 25 2006, 07:36 AM) *

OK, as an ex Manhattanite, what the hell do ya do with a 914 there? I had this thought of 5am Sunday 'tour' through Central Park. Anyone tried that? How big was the fine? biggrin.gif

A car in Manhattan is impractical. That being said, it sure is fun to take it out on the weekends. I'm young, I can handle paying the garage rental, why not? A couple of my favorite drives are speeding southbound on the FDR from midtown to the Seaport...there's a point where you come over an overpass and the downtown skyline w/the Brooklyn Bridge in the distance is breathtaking - best done @ dusk on a warm summer eve... flag.gif Also, coming over the Pulaski skyway into the city - when you reach the crest of the skyway and see the city laid out in front of you... Then, there's 72nd street through the park, narrow road w/walls on both sides...

Of course, then there's the times sitting in gridlock when the light changes over and over and you havn't moved...

I've been thinking of snapping some shots of the 914 on/around some of the classicl landmarks. Liberty Park in NJ overlooking the Statue of Liberty would be cool. So would a 914 smack in the middle of Times Square...

Sorry to hijack Chef. hijacked.gif PM me...

-Pete
Leo Imperial
Fun run in NYC clap56.gif When I lived in the City I had a Jeep. Less to work about.

Ray - I am a part time Jackstand Junkie. The car has only been back on the road since Friday night.

Hmm, Pictures from Liberty Park...
ptravnic
Leo - can't you just see a 914 dangling from one of those cranes?
lapuwali
In answer to the original question, my WAG is 5000 cars are roadworthy, or close enough that they could be made roadworthy without a huge effort.
Leo Imperial
Most of the pile of scrap in front of the conveyor was once cars. I walk around playing name the part sad.gif I am waiting for the day I find a 914 comming through. It is going to be like the movie Corvette Summer.
GWN7
Last time this came up I suggested that one person from each state pick up the phone and call your local DMV and ask. I did and had tp write a email explaining why I wanted this information (last time it was someone's school project). I was quite surprized that the DMV not only gave me the number of cars that were registered and insured in the last year, but their serial numbers too.

I asked this same question back in all914 chat (before this place existed) and really would like to know the same answer.

There are on average (low average) 15 cars a week on Ebay.....that means 780 of them change hands every year. There are 7,600 356's in one of the one line registry and I believe there are a lot more 914's than 356's around.

So 20,000 is my low guestimate and 40,000 is my high. To prove me wrong call the DMV in your state and ask.....
lapuwali
Bruce, I'll bet you're wrong on the 356/914 comparison. They made about 70,000 356s, and 110,000 914s, but 356s have generally always been worth more, so they're much more likely to be restored rather than cut up. I'd be willing to bet there are more 356s still running than 914s. At best, I'd say they're about the same. Look at 914/6s. They only made 3000 of them, but it's been reliably estimated that there are at least 2000 of them left running. Again, the /6s have always been worth more, so they're rarely cut up.

btw, the California DMV is a lot less cooperative than the Canadians.

I'm perfectly willing to up my guesstimate on how many there are still running. If you count restorable tubs, there may be as many as 15K examples. 40K is, IMHO, unrealistically high.

1970 Neun vierzehn
I just got off the phone w/Ohio BMV and all they could tell me was that through Jan. 01, 2006 through April 1, 2006, there were a total of 10,717 Porsches registered in the State of Ohio. I was surprised to learn that the BMV doesn't have a breakdown of that number by year and/or model. So determining the number of 914 survivors in Ohio cannot be gleaned readily from the BMV.
drewvw
914 in NYC takes balls, big props. Blasting around the streets there on a sunday afternoon when the traffic is low must be awesome!

I love manhattan....
Miss Mari
Calling the DMV is an interesting idea. If the one in cali could get their act together it might even be somewhat accurate. Ive made 4 trips there recently just to reg some off the books snowmobiles anbd still dont have that task completed. dead horse.gif I think the members map might be our only hope for something close. piratenanner.gif Thanks for coming up with some interesting ideas. See you at the Swap

Miss Mari, Streelegal go kart, and wannateener
dlo914
QUOTE(ptravnic @ Apr 25 2006, 11:00 AM) *

Leo - can't you just see a 914 dangling from one of those cranes?

i can chairfall.gif
Miss Mari
That one doesnt really qualify as "on the road" smile.gif
Leo Imperial
w00t.gif

It's yellow so I would have to let it go.
ptravnic
Perhaps we could compare another car type from the same years to get a rough estimate? Say, early 70's Carerra's - use that ratio of build to on the road then multiply %age by the 110K 914 production #...

Or, we could all pitch in $1 or $5 and have someone's kid do it for a real school project or extra credit or something - then pay him/her for the effort... I'd pitch in up to $5 and volunteer to "scrub" some of the data, although there's quite a few database sort of people on the board more qualified than I am...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.