Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: How to install FG flares
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
9magazine
First hoping to see everyone at next weekends Route 66 Classic in Flagstaff, our Project 914 wont' be ready sad.gif

Second, we received the FG flares from Greg over at GT Performance and my body shop guy is ready to put them on the car. I have never installed a set and neither has he. I remember seeing a post on here showing how to install these little suckers... but after 45 minutes of searching can't seem to locate it.

Does someone have a quick link to the post, or could some one give us the in's and out's of installing the FG flares?

Thanks everyone!

Brian Minson
9 Magazine
http://www.9magazine.com
URY914
Here is one thread that my help, but Joe riveted his on.

It is somewhere to start.

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?show...47155&hl=flares
john rogers
I did mine pretty much the same way. I installed the rocker panel first to locate it over the jack plate opening. I used small sheet metal screws to mount it. To hold the flares on I bought some Cleco pins which were very handy to have while drilling the extra holes. I used "large head" rivets and a backing washer about every 4 1/2 to 5 inches.
jasons
Theres a brief write-up in the PP tech articles.

http://www.pelicanparts.com/914/914tech_articles.htm
Dr. Roger
i used PC7 epoxy. I've done some hack FGing and i can't imagine polyester resin adhering to metal or being stronger than a good structural 2 part epoxy.

I also have my FG fenders attached with self tapping screws but those will come out when i start prepping for paint.

theres a few pics of my FG project on the last page of my progress thread.
nomore9one4
If I may say.....Please,please,please if you are keeping the car use steel flares. Its more money and more work,but you will be glad you did. I wish I had before I installed my f/g ones. Just my .02cents ph34r.gif Thanks for listening!
Mueller
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Apr 25 2006, 11:05 AM) *

If I may say.....Please,please,please if you are keeping the car use steel flares. Its more money and more work,but you will be glad you did. I wish I had before I installed my f/g ones. Just my .02cents ph34r.gif Thanks for listening!

properly installed glass flares are fine.....I guess one major downside to them is that you cannot "brag" about spending the $1K + on steel flares huh.gif screwy.gif
Eric_Shea
Call the fine folks at AIR and ask the proceedure. VetteBond, MarGlas, cloth mat backing strips, work with bare metal etc. There's some serious new materials out there these days to make it awesome and, if you're putting it in print, do it right because others will be following.

Mount the rockers and valances as mentioned.
McMark
agree.gif

I expect that there are a lot of great new adhesives out there. The problem is that you're going to have to wade through a lot of sources quoting you 25 year old information and prejudices to find the new information.
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2006, 10:31 AM) *

QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Apr 25 2006, 11:05 AM) *

properly installed glass flares are fine.....I guess one major downside to them is that you cannot "brag" about spending the $1K + on steel flares huh.gif screwy.gif

Why would one need to "brag". Good fiberglass flares are over $400. If I remember correctly Camp had steel sets he was selling for $800. The difference in price is not that much different and you get a better resale value than with the fiberglass. but then again this is such a cute smilie screwy.gif
cobra94563
Is there an real benefit to "good" flares?

I'm between choosing cheaper fiberglass or steel replicas.
914forme
It is not hard just take you time. I used an all adhisive solution when I did a set for a customer.
I used screws to hold until the bond and backed them out, they aslo shave a special filler to help with the tranission.

SMC FPR Adhesives

Good stuff, you will spend $$ to do it right, I figured by the time it was done, I could have installed metal for a couple hundred more. My labor was cheap then beer3.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Apr 26 2006, 09:59 AM) *

Is there an real benefit to "good" flares?

I'm between choosing cheaper fiberglass or steel replicas.

Good quality 'glass flares can be bought for $200 for all 4 corners...

it comes down to personal prefrence and possibly the use of the car...if I was racing on a big track where body contact is a real possibility, I'd go with 'glass flares since they'd be easier/cheaper to repair.

the factory used steel flares so that is why many people go that direction and/or are afraid of getting cracks in the 'glass flares down the road....

914-8
I've got STEEL flares, nah, nah, nah, nah, nah!

piratenanner.gif rocking nana.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.