Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: SS exchangers
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
rjames
I may have found some late model SS exchangers for my '75 2.0 car. They are being sold as such anyway.

Being that I've never seen '75 2.0 SS exchangers for sale ever before, can anyone confirm if they exist? And would it be easy for me to tell in a photo if they were for a 2 liter engine?

Thanks!
blitZ
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 25 2006, 12:20 PM) *

I may have found some late model SS exchangers for my '75 2.0 car. They are being sold as such anyway.

Being that I've never seen '75 2.0 SS exchangers for sale ever before, can anyone confirm if they exist? And would it be easy for me to tell in a photo if they were for a 2 liter engine?

Thanks!

Can you post a picture of this HE? Most folks back date their exhaust to the earlier version. If your state allows it, I recommend it, you'll pick up a few ponies.
Mueller
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 25 2006, 09:20 AM) *

Thanks!

None that I have ever heard of... the '74 and older SSIs or any factory h/e for that matter will fit a '75/'76

Very easy to spot with a picture....person selling them is either lying or just mistaken smile.gif
914Sixer
Do the SS exchangers have the triangle 3 bolt tips? 75-76 were the only years for those ends. I think they did make some back in the late 80's but I have slept since then.
SirAndy
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 25 2006, 09:20 AM) *

They are being sold as such anyway.

the SSI SS heat exchangers were only for '74 and older. you *can* retrofit a later car to use the earlier HEs ...

be cautious, i have seen '75 and '76 HEs advertised as SS before, just because they looked shinier and didn't have any rust.

if it looks like a '75/'76 exhaust, it's NOT SS ...
wink.gif Andy
rjames
Can you post a picture of this HE? Most folks back date their exhaust to the earlier version.

Seller will be sending a photo soon, when I get it I'll post.

I know the older HE will work with the later models, but I don't want to have to get a new muffler (I like my 4-tip monza that fits the later model exchangers). Plus I want to keep costs down, and buying a whole exhaust system from an earlier model with SSHE would cost a LOT more then just replacing the exchangers.
Mueller
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 25 2006, 10:36 AM) *

Can you post a picture of this HE? Most folks back date their exhaust to the earlier version.

I know the older HE will work with the later models, but I don't want to have to get a new muffler (I like my 4-tip monza that fits the later model exchangers). Plus I want to keep costs down, and buying a whole exhaust system from an earlier model with SSHE would cost a LOT more then just replacing the exchangers.

I believe the swap to the earlier style is worth the 5 to 8 hp gain driving.gif
blitZ
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 25 2006, 01:36 PM) *

HP for 914s can be expensive, if you can pick up 8 hp or so for $500 - $600, it's worth it. If you have a lead on an early SS in decent shape, jump on it, took me several months to find mine. Then save for a new muffler. The early Monzas show up regularly here and on ebay. I recently backdated the exhaust on my 76, a better investment IMO.
Cap'n Krusty
If you drive your car much, you'll need a new muffler soon anyway. Monzas are known for their short lifespan and weight. The Cap'n
rjames
if it looks like a '75/'76 exhaust, it's NOT SS ...

bummer. Now I'm really curious to see the photos.
rhodyguy
a local memeber says he has a set in the 75-76' style. the piping may be mild steel, but i believe the jacketing is ss. are you looking at the set from jim robert?

k
rjames
No, it's someone who lives in New Jersey, it was posted on Pelican without pics. I squeezed under the car the other night and looked at mine closer and they look pretty 'shiny' too, but doesn't mean SS, I guess. My camera phone is a piece of crap, but I'll upload a pic. I'd like to think I'd know stainless steel if I see it, but maybe not.

Still waiting on the guy to send me a photo, but here's a horrible shot of my passenger side HE:

brant
since yours aren't rusted out...
why bother upgrading at all...

if they really made a stainless version of the late style (I doubt)
then there would be zero performance gain for swapping...
and since your's are in good condition, why bother....

the only 2 reasons I see for upgrading are that
1) yours are shot
2) you want a performance gain out of it, in which case you want the earlier style anyways...

brant
rjames
since yours aren't rusted out...
why bother upgrading at all...

I knew I would get that response after posting that pic. alfred.gif

Originally I thought that I wasn't getting any heat in the cabin due to bad exchangers, so I enquired about the ones that were for sale. Now that I've looked at mine and they look ok, I thought that upgrading to SS would be nice, and an added power gain- but I guess that would only come from backdating them. My heat issues must lie elsewere, and I'm not sure where. I'd like to see photos of '75-76 exchanger/air guides/pipes to longs photos installed. Everything looks in tact on mine at first glance but it's hard to troubleshoot mine any further at the moment as the interior is out of the car for floorpan repairs (including pedal cluster) as is the battery.
Qarl
My '75 1.8 I had when I was a teenager definitely had SS heat exchangers. The outside casing/tubing was more squareish than roundish.

rjames
Is there an easy way to tell the difference between stainless steel and non? I'd like to think I'd be able to tell the difference easily by looking at them, but maybe not.
So.Cal.914
Check them with a magnet, it will not stick to the SS HE's. smoke.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(rjames @ Apr 27 2006, 04:26 PM) *

Is there an easy way to tell the difference between stainless steel and non? I'd like to think I'd be able to tell the difference easily by looking at them, but maybe not.

magnets do stick to some stainless....regular carbon steel the magnet will be attracted enought to "slam" against the steel, the stainless will just kinda be attracted to it........

Let's just say that "if" the factory '75/'76 heatexchangers are stainless or have stainless air ducting, you won't gain anything unless yours are in bad shape...

the exhaust is the last thing you want to touch unless you have to...the pain of breaking an exhaust stud will last for a long time.......

So.Cal.914
Stainless Steel is a non-ferrous metal like copper, brass, & aluminium. Could you explain to me how a magnet is going to attract a non-ferrous metal other than useing AC induction? sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(So.Cal.914 @ Apr 27 2006, 07:41 PM) *

Stainless Steel is a non-ferrous metal like copper, brass, & aluminium. Could you explain to me how a magnet is going to attract a non-ferrous metal other than useing AC induction? sad.gif

okay mr smarty pants smile.gif

get out your Machinery's Handbook (25th edition), turn to page 479...BINGO...Stainless steel is Ferrous.....wonder why it's not in the table for non-ferrous on page 480??? blink.gif

want to test it yourself, find some 400 series ss and throw it in some Di water, it'll start rusting in a few hours or less.....

Rand
Stainless steel is most definitely ferrous. It is a steel alloy with about 12% chromium.
tod914
Why dont you start by checking the blower motor in the engine bay. Just hook it up directly to your battery and see if works. I assume you have all the air flow hoses installed??
rhodyguy
pull up on the red lever in the interior, go under the car and make sure the flapper valve is opening fully. that's where i'd start. then look real hard at the flex hoses that run to the heater ducts in the body.

k
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.