Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: flip trunk finished
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
Works great, the springs and stops completely stabilize its movement. Opens smooth and closes the same with no fear of it veering off and damaging any future paint work. I must say I am surprised it works at all. drunk.gif welder.gif

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image
736conver
Thats pretty cool. You could actually get in your trunk to work on the engine.
Rand
Way cool!! Very nicely done!

How did you determine the initial alignment/placement of the hinges?

What do you think about rigging up something to hold the targa top to the trunk lid? So with the trunk all the way open you could drop the top down vertically into some j-hooks/catches at the bottom and clip the top to hold it in place. That way, even with the top stowed, you could still have full access to the trunk/engine bay.

For even better engine access, the engine lid could be attached to the trunk lid... Sorry going off on tangents.

clap56.gif
Demick
Looks like a perfect setup for some rumble seats! Time for some Hot August Nights cruising!

Demick
Trekkor
I like that.

More pics! clap56.gif

KT
nomore9one4
Killer idea for complete motor/tranny access! clap56.gif
tyler
Looks great. Did you make this or buy some kind of "kit"?
nocones
Schweet!
Nicely done.
Now a removable rear engine-compartment panel would allow awsome access to the top side of the engine. Provided the chassis was braced.

*edit* Oops, took a closer look at the photos.
I see you've already removed that sheet metal and braced the chassis.
Hell, I'd be there isn't much you couldn't do to your engine with it still in the car now.
I love the idea of being able to sit in the trunk while wrenching!

markb
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 25 2006, 10:17 AM) *

I like that.

More pics! clap56.gif

KT

agree.gif
drive-ability
The set up was just by eye and the hinges are off a Buick La saber maybe a 90 or so. It just makes it easier to get to things. The original trunk lock is still in use.

IPB Image

IPB Image
MecGen
Hey

I can't quite remember a Buick right now, but you made the front pins, right? I don't remember how the front (windshield side) on a Buick was held down confused24.gif
Looking Good !
Later

beerchug.gif
Mueller
nice job..you need to add an arm to trunk that can grab the targa top and auto. stow it in the rear....
drive-ability
QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2006, 02:40 PM) *

nice job..you need to add an arm to trunk that can grab the targa top and auto. stow it in the rear....

agree.gif Are you volunteering to ride in the trunk av-943.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(MecGen @ Apr 25 2006, 02:32 PM) *

Hey

I can't quite remember a Buick right now, but you made the front pins, right? I don't remember how the front (windshield side) on a Buick was held down confused24.gif
Looking Good !
Later

beerchug.gif

The Buick has a wheel receiver that indexes the hood at closing, I may incorporate that later.
pokey1168
WAY COOL!!

that is a great mod. beerchug.gif
tat2dphreak
I think it's damn cool... I saw one on a del sol a few years ago and thought that someone should do a teener... very cool!!!! smiley_notworthy.gif
turbo914v8
I have to tell everybody how insanely fast you work. I think just a few hours ago you were talking about this idea of reverse opening trunk. Now I see it’s a reality. As always great ideas followed by great work. Still cannot believe how fast your thoughts become reality. You rock. aktion035.gif
ClayPerrine
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Apr 25 2006, 06:14 PM) *

QUOTE(Mueller @ Apr 25 2006, 02:40 PM) *

agree.gif Are you volunteering to ride in the trunk av-943.gif

You need a trunkmonkey....

Trunkmonkey dot com

Or would that be a trunk mueller????
drive-ability
QUOTE(turbo914v8 @ Apr 25 2006, 05:00 PM) *

I have to tell everybody how insanely fast you work. I think just a few hours ago you were talking about this idea of reverse opening trunk. Now I see it’s a reality. As always great ideas followed by great work. Still cannot believe how fast your thoughts become reality. You rock. aktion035.gif

Its an obsession chair.gif dead horse.gif spank.gif, clearly out of control. If you saw the pile of ideas gone bad you would av-943.gif
byndbad914
drive-ability, I loves fabricating stuff and I gotta admit - that is ingenious. I didn't even know about that Buick hinge! When it is all cleaned up and painted, that is damn near going to look like some sort of factory piece. Nicely done and really slick!
smash.gif welder.gif beer.gif
KaptKaos
That is absolutely awesome. We need measurements, part numbers etc.. etc.. so forth. I'll do almost anything to avoid fixing my broken hinge.

Nicely done.

Thanks,
Joe
JeffBowlsby
Its interesting no doubt about it. I dream of having a full tilt rear end from time to time...talk about access...but cannot imagine it could ever be a reality except on a tube frame 914.

"You can't put a full-tilt rear end on a 914"...there is a challenge there somewhere.

But one question, if the lock busts like so many 914 rear locks do...is it possible to get access to the rear trunk with those pins?
drive-ability
QUOTE(Jeff Bowlsby @ Apr 25 2006, 08:06 PM) *

Its interesting no doubt about it. I dream of having a full tilt rear end from time to time...talk about access...but cannot imagine it could ever be a reality except on a tube frame 914.

"You can't put a full-tilt rear end on a 914"...there is a challenge there somewhere.

But one question, if the lock busts like so many 914 rear locks do...is it possible to get access to the rear trunk with those pins?

The way the trunk opens is basically the same as a factory one. If the little tang breaks off on the lock cylinder your in the same place as a stock trunk. I guess I could reach from under the car but the pins alone don't keep the trunk from opening. They are there to keep the rear of the trunk down. With out them you or the air can pull/push up the rear of the hood about 6 inches, after that the lock pin holds it down. I would guess air pressure would just snap the lock pin and flip it open after that all He*l would brake loose. I am making a secondary latch for the trunk lid. I don't want it to open at 80 mph. driving.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.