Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 914 race motor
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
stephen7
I was reading the Excellence article about the budget 912 racer and the owner claims 140hp out of the engine. They didn't talk the about the price of getting that kind of output from 2 liters except that there was alot of head work and special pistons were used. ($$$$) Anybody have an idea of what it costs to get a reliable race motor with that kind of power? And, if you can do it, is it only a track motor or could you autocross it also? type.gif
Dave_Darling
All it takes is time, money, blood, sweat, and tears. Mostly tears at looking at how much money you spent...

All you have to do to get power out of a motor is spin it fast enough. The real $$$ comes in making sure that it can use that RPM effectively (that's money spent on flowing the heads, etc.) and on making sure it can stay together for a little while at your target RPM.

A "race motor" can run on race gas. I believe 105 octane is available, and I know that 100 is. So the compression will go up--and up--and up! Couple that with a very lumpy cam and heads that flow very well (and more compression because the cam "bleeds it off"), and it's not hard to get to 140 HP. The EP guys used to get 140-160 HP routinely out of 1.8 liters, so getting it from 2.0 liters should be a little easier!

It will cost cubic dollars, though. And don't expect to put too many hours on it before you need to "freshen" it up.

SWAG? $10K development, $5K+ build, a couple grand for every "freshening".

--DD
Jake Raby
Not even a challenge...

The smallest engine I build is 145 HP- Dyno proven
sean_v8_914
Jake, I liked the last avatar better
Trekkor

You forgot to include the price tag and build time.

Oooh oooh...Let me guess, $10k and 9 months...

That was the question in the first post, right?

KT
Mueller
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 25 2006, 10:33 PM) *

KT

I see you've been hanging out with Grant smile.gif

actually, his question was a little vague, is he talking a true 912 motor or is he asking about building a Type IV?

Does he need a "race" motor or is he just using the term loosly?

Aaron Cox

KT

gee all knowing trek - whats it cost to rebuild a 2L six to 140 hp?

humm....

Aaron Cox
QUOTE(Aaron Cox @ Apr 25 2006, 11:20 PM) *

KT

gee all knowing trek - whats it cost to rebuild a 2L six to 140 hp?

humm....

shit, ill even go one step further. i have a 1969 2.0 T motor core (of same shape you start with a type 4 core) I wil DONATE to you if you can rebuild to 140 HP cheaper than a raby kit.
Hammy
Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

dead horse.gif
redshift
Uhoh! Aaron wants a FREE rebuild.

smile.gif

M
Aaron Cox
QUOTE(redshift @ Apr 25 2006, 11:26 PM) *

Uhoh! Aaron wants a FREE rebuild.

smile.gif

M

freaking ruining my master plan here! biggrin.gif
Brando
Aaron,
I think if you took that core all the way to stuttgart and asked Porsche to rebuild it, they'd smelt it down and build you up a new one with the metal rather than refurb it tongue.gif
TimT
I believe 105 octane is available, and I know that 100 is

Its available,we run 116 or 112 octane mostly in the 935
VegasRacer
popcorn[1].gif
rhodyguy
i bet 10k is on the low side. that was as trick a "budget" race car as i've seen. wdik.

k
Jake Raby
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 25 2006, 09:33 PM) *

KT

No time line or price was mentioned by the original poster.

Yes, I am backlogged-

No, I'm not cheap.
Trekkor
Look at the question in the original post.

Very specific.

"Anybody have an idea of what it costs to get a reliable race motor with that kind of power? "

that was all...

KT
Jake Raby
Damn, cost is so "unimportant" here that I suppose I looked right over the word!
Mueller
QUOTE(trekkor @ Apr 26 2006, 08:48 AM) *

Look at the question in the original post.
Very specific.
"Anybody have an idea of what it costs to get a reliable race motor with that kind of power? "
that was all...
KT

yea sorta specific but could be asking the wrong question..."why" a "race" motor when one can get that power from a street engine??

"race" engine is too broad of a term and is often misused

Brett W
140hp is a well tuned street 2.0. It could be built for less than 5K if you watch where you spend your money.
Jake Raby
Fresh meat always tastes best, its better when the blood is still warm! I

On a more serious note, a 2056 can easily get you 140 ponies with the right cam and heads, especially if running on race gas..
I honestly seldom ever look at the poster's info when making a post, it doesn't really matter because if its about HP on this forum it's going to turn into a pissing match....
Joe Ricard
Get a six, get a big 4
Either way you will spend money, those that just dropped huge coin on a six conversion to obtain 140 HP. should be proud of thier car.
those that entered the Massive Type IV club equally should be proud of thier car.

Both recipes require more money than I have. wanna go fast? buy some better tires and learn how to drive.
ChrisFoley
wink.gif
nocones
I'm with Joe on this one. agree.gif

HP is the last thing you need to go fast. Better tires and suspension, and a lot of work on the nut behind the wheel. That's the way to get faster without breaking the bank.

smilie_pokal.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.