Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: EVO
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Ctrout
Ricers at work today were telling me that some EVO car (lancer I think) can take a 90 degree turn at 120 mph without leaving the road. 120mph in a gradual sweeper in my 914 scares me. I don't buy it. He says there's even a video of it and that it's a woman driver. Anyone seen this video?
BMartin914
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Apr 25 2006, 08:24 PM) *

Ricers at work today were telling me that some EVO car (lancer I think) can take a 90 degree turn at 120 mph without leaving the road. 120mph in a gradual sweeper in my 914 scares me. I don't buy it. He says there's even a video of it and that it's a woman driver. Anyone seen this video?

bs.gif
shaggy
bs.gif

but those are fast as all hell

that little 2.o turbo really puts out
i saw one that was modified though
not quite sure exactly what he did to it but it was something
it was just a little too fast
kinda thinkin he was runnin NOS
it was all riced out and just a lil too fast for stock
and he claimed he had made "some minor" modifications
and he was lookin to race for money... dry.gif

-shag
914-8
Depends on how wide the road/track is!

If the track is a mile wide, it could be done. If the track is 8 feet wide, impossible.
Ctrout
I found info that it gets .97G on the skidpad. My 32 year old $988 914 could probably get that with just a set of tires, shocks, and a set of torsion bars. Why would I want a BUTT UGLY car that cost $30,000 and has no soul whatsoever? It is fast though. I guess that $8,500 RAT that I'm considering would fix that too.
Andyrew
.97G is REALLY good for a stock car...

Our cars got what.. .83? Yes tires changed. You'll be hard fetched to find a whole lot of 914's now a days that will turn 1g on street tires.

Im shooting for mine to... and im not sure it will.. and I've got a LOT into my suspension... and a LOT OF TIRE

Andrew

but I do call it BS as well. Kmph.. ya.. ok. But they still do it in a drift.

Shag. Never race a turbo'ed car. That includes honda's. They can make 150hp-800+hp (seen a few 800hp EVO's..) in street trim.

Stock evo is about the same as a 944 turbo.. and thats nothing to sneeze at.. (took a evo the other day in the stock car... beat him..)
shaggy
ya i know

turbos are trouble

i wasnt the fool racing though

i saw a 2004 camero go down and a 2002 trans am

the trans am had open headers, that was an amazing sound!!!

trans am was close but had a bad shift into 2nd

they were going from a 20mph rolling start

trans am broke tires when they took off from the roll and shifting into 2nd

-shag
Andyrew
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 25 2006, 10:43 PM) *

ya i know

turbos are trouble

-shag

rolling start? dont F with turbo's.. Thats the only time a v8 has the advantage... turbo's will spool instantly at 3k...

Andrew
shaggy
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 25 2006, 10:53 PM) *

QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 25 2006, 10:43 PM) *

ya i know

turbos are trouble

-shag

rolling start? dont F with turbo's.. Thats the only time a v8 has the advantage... turbo's will spool instantly at 3k...

Andrew

ya they were trying to level the playing field

-shag
TimT
I had a student two years ago at Watkins Glen that had a modified Evo. That car was a rocket, handled great, and had awesome brakes..

I call BS on the 120 mph 90...

110 maybe.. the fast left at the Glen is a 100+ mph turn in the right car, and this guy and his Evo were easily 100+ in the fast left
URY914
Let's go back to our 9th grade geometry class. What is the RADIUS of the 90 degree turn? 100 feet? 1000? It is not how wide the track is, it's the arc of the turn that counts.

Remember unless the line is stright, it can be a 90 degree turn. Just depends on how long the turn is.
drewvw
QUOTE(TimT @ Apr 26 2006, 02:36 AM) *

I had a student two years ago at Watkins Glen that had a modified Evo. That car was a rocket, handled great, and had awesome brakes..

I call BS on the 120 mph 90...

110 maybe.. the fast left at the Glen is a 100+ mph turn in the right car, and this guy and his Evo were easily 100+ in the fast left

Tim are you talking about that section when you are coming uphill out of the boot?
Brett W
There was an EVO at the Time Trial this weekend. That car was super fast. Huge brakes, stout motor. etc. He was outrunning FVs, SPO camaros, GT1 cars, and most all of the street cars. They are pretty neat cars.
nocones
Competative race track times in an evo are a set of tires and some brake pads away.
Nothing more.

The claim sounds like bench racing BS, but, as others have said it may not be too far off.

My 914/8 is seriously fast. ~2350lbs. with 375 hp.
One night I squared up with an evo around a freeway merge ramp ( he was able to pull slightly mid corner, damn awd ) then up the next straight section of freeway.
He was VERY suprised when I went past him. But I'll tell you, it wasn't by the kind of margin I normally see when blasting past other street cars.

Spend 30K for one, I'm not that wealthy. Buy a used one for a few dollers less...
Hell ya! Talk about an entertaining daily driver.
usa4cheer
I have an RS EVO and they are a lot of fun, and it feels like you can toss it about anywhere and through the turns its sticks like glue. (all wheel drive doesn't hurt) the best feature is the steering ratio, go from 12:00 to 3:00 and it feels like you are at ninety degrees for your turn. these cars with basic mods become monsters. More fun in the RS because they are sleepers ( no wing) and no power options or sunroof, or sound material, so its lighter. I can't wait to get my subie 914 done this fall to compare. I have to finish my grassroots challenge car first.
VaccaRabite
The Evo is a serious car. I'd have to object to whoever said that they have no soul - they have plenty. Its ugly, it screams "Mod me, baby!" It will outhandle most cars on the road right now, and will probably a be a sought after cars for kids and modders long after the car has ceased production (kinda like the 240).

That said, when I think of a 90 degree turn, I think of a right angle on-the-dime turn, not a sweeper that end 90 degrees from where it began. And no car can do that at 120mph.

That said, I've never had much affinity for them. Just not my style.

Zach
Hydra
the amount of gegrees of a turn doen't count, it is the turn's radius that's important, you can take a 180 degree turn at 200mph provided you have a big enough radius.
the formula for calculating lateral acceleration is: A=V^2/R
Where A is the lateral acceleration V is the speed and R the bend's radius...
thus based on the 0.97G mentioned earlier, the car can make a 90 degree turn at 120mph if the radiuswas equal to 995 feet.... that is whitout the car skidding....

turboman808
Yeah I hate to say it but the EVO is fucking badass. Ugly ass sedan but man can it go. Guy was tearing up the autox 2 weeks ago on street tires. Almost makes me want to buy one.
Jeroen
QUOTE(Ctrout @ Apr 26 2006, 06:24 AM) *

well it's pretty simple to solve...
just bet $5 that they can't laugh.gif
grantsfo
Give me a wide enough road and I'll turn a 90 degree turn into a sweeper.
Tobra
How fast do those Nascar guys run a 180* turn? On a banked track, you are gonna be able to scream, there is an off-ramp at Watt Ave and Highway 50 that is marked 25, but it is a lot of fun to go into a little hot because of the way the road banks. I would have to see the video, never driven an Evo, would like to though...bad idea for me to own one of those, or a WRX for that matter.
MattR
QUOTE(Brett W @ Apr 26 2006, 06:24 AM) *

There was an EVO at the Time Trial this weekend. That car was super fast. Huge brakes, stout motor. etc. He was outrunning FVs, SPO camaros, GT1 cars, and most all of the street cars. They are pretty neat cars.

A friend of mine was crewing for an ITE evo (on DOT tires) at an SCCA event at Laguna recently and was putting 3-4 seconds per lap on an SP prepared GT3 Cup on non DOT tires.

They were just a hair off the viper comp coupes.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.