Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Wierd grinding noise
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
krazykonrad
when I turn the wheel either to the right or left i'm getting this low griding noise from the front end. usually not there at parking lot speeds but real noticalbe on the highway. when the wheel is straight there is no sound. I'm thinking wheel bearings?? or the rack and pinion needs some oil. There are no noticble leaks from the rack and pinion, i.e. no spots on the driveway, but i havent crawled under to carefuly check. WTF.gif
Any suggestions?
many thanks!
Konrad 72

P.S. I know its not tire rub. I'm rolling on stock 4.5/15's
Leo Imperial
Check for loose nut behind the wheel.

Sorry, I am bored at work.
TROJANMAN
Check the Wheel Bearings
dimitri
Check around your steering shaft inside car, wiring rubbing? Dimitri
Tobra
how wide are the tires, rubbing in wheel well(happened to me)
John

Does it grind while turning the steering wheel, or while the car is traveling around a turn?

If the grinding is while the car is traveling around a turn, then I'm guessing that your front wheel bearings are loose, allowing your rotors to touch the brake pads slightly in turns.
krazykonrad
Thanks for all he advice! Hopefully this weekend I'll get a chance to tighten em up! beerchug.gif
jr91472
This may sound crazy, but check to make sure that your speedo cable is not kinked or wrapper around the streeting column. I chased a crazy grinding/rubbing sound for weeks that would come and go - convinced it was the front brakes, wheel bearings, something.

Turns out that the speedo cable was kinked at a bad angle right at the point where it connects to the speedometer.

just a thought......
ptravnic
I had this problem, noticed especially on the highway circular on/off ramps - was wheel bearings...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.