Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Door brace turnbuckles
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
obscurity
I have been unable to find suitable turnbuckles to make door braces from. Depending on the store they are either not sold or are made of Stainless with aluminum bodies. Since I am not interested in welding stainless I will probablt buy from McMaster. McMaster has more turnbuckle options than can be believed so I can get a forged steel end and almost any working limit I need. I have no real feel for the weight of the car yet but if I put one on each door and maybe a cross brace on the roof would I be safe at 800/turnbuckle? Higher? Lower? What do people normally use?

Thanks,
John
Do they have any farm stores where you are?

If so, go to one and find a tractor part that is part of a 3 point hitch. (I don't remember what they are called) they will bw about 2 ft long and are more than heavy duty enough for what you are doing and they are CHEAPER than a turnbuckle.

What I am trying to describe has about a 1" threaded rod end on both ends, about a 1.5" diameter body and they come in various lengths 24"+

You will still need to fabricate a couple of clips to bolt them in, but I found that these were far cheaper than simple turnbuckles (and they are made in USA not China).
URY914
You should be able to find them at an industrial supply store. Atlanta should have several. Also the Northern Tool and Harbor Fright type plases will have them.

Get the forged steel ones.

THis is a local suppliers website but it has the different types shown.

http://www.certifiedslings.com/catalog/Turnbuckles.shtml
obscurity
Thanks for the help!! I am still faced with the question though of what work load limit?

Thanks for the help
John
A stripped bare tub weighs around 400#

The whole car (stockish) should weigh somewhere between 2,100# and 2,400#.

Does that help?
JeffBowlsby
What you really need isnt just turnbuckles, its Porsche tool P861 or P862. I wonder if those using the turnbuckles have other door fitment issues later on or just get lucky?
John
What you really need isnt just turnbuckles, its Porsche tool P861 or P862. I wonder if those using the turnbuckles have other door fitment issues later on or just get lucky?

For door bracing while cutting out longs or just bracing one that is on a rotissorie, the turnbuckles and factory dimensions would be a better tool than the door jig (P861 or P862).

I wouldn't want someone putting undue stress on those door jigs if I owned them.

Those jigs are meant to use while aligning new body panels, NOT for holding a car from flexing while doing repair work.

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.