Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 75 2.0 Stalling problem
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
srb7f
I recently installed a 75 2.0 in my car which is a 74. The engine had been sitting awhile before I bought it, probably at least a couple years. After a clean up, the engine is now in the car and working fairly well with the exception of two small issues.
1. Stalling: It does this immediately after starting, and on deceleration, basically whenever the car idles. Happens maybe 1/3 of the time or so, and when it doesn't stall , the idle surges from almost dying (alternator light comes on briefly) to maybe around 1500 RPMs or so and back and forth a couple times before finally leveling off at normal idling speed. If left to idle by itself after stabilizing, it will idle forever.

2. Slight shakiness in acceleration in the 2-3K RPM range. Very smooth accleration at lower and higher RPMs.

Aside from these minor issues, the engine runs perfectly, with no trouble at highway speeds and has power far superior to the 1.8 I removed.

I already have the idle adjusting screw all the way out, so it's not just that simple. Anybody have any ideas on what's going on? Any help is appreciated. Steve

runfaster
QUOTE(srb7f @ Apr 26 2006, 12:16 PM) *

I recently installed a 75 2.0 in my car which is a 74. The engine had been sitting awhile before I bought it, probably at least a couple years. After a clean up, the engine is now in the car and working fairly well with the exception of two small issues.
1. Stalling: It does this immediately after starting, and on deceleration, basically whenever the car idles. Happens maybe 1/3 of the time or so, and when it doesn't stall , the idle surges from almost dying (alternator light comes on briefly) to maybe around 1500 RPMs or so and back and forth a couple times before finally leveling off at normal idling speed. If left to idle by itself after stabilizing, it will idle forever.

2. Slight shakiness in acceleration in the 2-3K RPM range. Very smooth accleration at lower and higher RPMs.

Aside from these minor issues, the engine runs perfectly, with no trouble at highway speeds and has power far superior to the 1.8 I removed.

I already have the idle adjusting screw all the way out, so it's not just that simple. Anybody have any ideas on what's going on? Any help is appreciated. Steve

runfaster
it's the distributor wires...
srb7f
All the plug wires are brand new, coil is a couple years old, new condenser. Would seem odd that they would be causing this.
Rand
Slight shakiness in acceleration in the 2-3K RPM range. Very smooth accleration at lower and higher RPMs.

This makes me think of the TPS (throttle position sensor on the side of the throttle body).
srb7f
Is there an established method to test the TPS?
Rand
Check out this page by Brad Anders. Search it for "Throttle Switch"
srb7f
That website is awesome! I didn't even know it existed before now. Looks like I'm going to have a closer look at the TPS. Steve

This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.