Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: un-bending and de-mangling a tub ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Pages: 1, 2
SirAndy
i'm going to use this as a progress thread for my upcoming tub un-twisting ... smash.gif

i went by Scott's (Yeaman Autobody in Palo Alto) today and we threw the 914 up on the lift and he did a thorough inspection and took a few measurements.
he seems to be confident that it's not as bad as i thought. i hope he's right ...
clap56.gif

the next step will be to strip the tub of all the front/rear suspension parts, steering rack, motor & transmission and anything else i can take off easily. sawzall-smiley.gif

then the tub will be put on his celette bench and we're going to have a whole weekend of "pull that 914" fun!
jsharp.gif

i already got a video camera i'm going to use to document this. that, and my usual blurry pictures should make for an interesting documentary ...

can't wait to get this done!
mueba.gif Andy
Andyrew
Cool beans!!!

I'll be awaitin!

Andrew
nine14cats
ahem....you didn't happen to see The Beast™ lurking in the shop anywhere did you?.....I'd better not get bumped for another 914Club project...mine's a tad overdue dry.gif ......... biggrin.gif

When do you think you'll be doing the pull? If I'm around, I'd like to watch it in person....

Bill P.
Britain Smith
Any idea if it is going to tweak the paint?

-Britain
nine14cats
I was concerned about SirAndy's F/G flares cracking....but maybe if Scott thinks it's not too bad, it may be worse to the eye than in the measurement. His flares are pretty nice, I'd hate to see any of them have to be reworked.

Bill P.
mightyohm
Do you really have to remove the engine and suspension to bend the tub back? I can't imagine that is a normal procedure for body shops...
SirAndy
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Apr 26 2006, 03:46 PM) *

Do you really have to remove the engine and suspension to bend the tub back? I can't imagine that is a normal procedure for body shops...

the more pickup points for the celette bench, the better. the fixtures for the 914 include the transmission mounts and motor mounts as well as all suspension mounting points.

you *can* do this with the engine and trans in the car, but then you will *not* be able to use those mounting points.
i don't see any benefit of *not* using the tranny and engine pickups. do it once, do it right!

smile.gif Andy

PS: FG and/or Paint cracking is a concern ...
nocones
QUOTE(jkeyzer @ Apr 26 2006, 03:46 PM) *

It's my understanding that the way the celette bench works is to attach to as many mounting points (susp, eng, trans) as possible. Then, the tub is stretched, tweaked, and untwisted using those points.

TravisNeff
popcorn[1].gif I'm all eyes...
Jeroen
good to hear you're getting it fixed!
nomore9one4
QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 26 2006, 03:47 PM) *

What happened to it in the first place? confused24.gif Did I miss something? sad.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(boboli914@att.net @ Apr 26 2006, 05:10 PM) *

QUOTE(Jeroen @ Apr 26 2006, 03:47 PM) *

What happened to it in the first place? confused24.gif Did I miss something? sad.gif

I have never owned a 914 that has not shown signs of PO induced body tweaking...improper floor jack placement, floor pans showing signs of contact with a hard surface....front end hitting something hard such as a steep driveway...

What'll be interesting to find out is whether or not the full cage causes any problems with the straightening out of the tub???
Demick
Is this Birgit's 'little guy' that you are looking at straightening?

Demick
SirAndy
QUOTE(Demick @ Apr 26 2006, 05:31 PM) *

Is this Birgit's 'little guy' that you are looking at straightening?

where have you been? laugh.gif

no, birgit's old car is toast ... this is my car i'm talking about ...
dry.gif Andy
Demick
Oh. I used to drive by Yeaman's every day, and always saw the wrecked 914 out front, and always assumed that was Birgit's old car. I didn't know your car was twisted. I'm sure my car is probably twisted too. It's a salvage title from a front passenger side wreck.

Demick
Borderline
A 914 pull! cool! is that like a tractor pull? chairfall.gif
jonwatts
Demick, I think you are correct that the twisted tub that was in front of Yeaman's for a long time was Birgit's; but I don't know what ever became of it.

I'm with Mueller, interested to see the TCDesign Cage vs Celette Bench smackdown.

PS - we need a taffy pulling smiley
SirAndy
QUOTE(Demick @ Apr 26 2006, 07:18 PM) *

and always assumed that was Birgit's old car.

correct, that was birgit's old car ...

mine is red ...
smile.gif Andy
Porcharu
It might spoil things but I would like to take some clear pictures of tub un-twisting. Then we can have that beer I owe you at Hardy's! beerchug.gif
So.Cal.914
Now this should be a lesson to all of us, just because they break down all the time dosen't meen that we have to beat them into submission. dead horse.gif

smoke.gif
Trekkor
Hope all goes well.

Tell Scott I say hello.

has he rebuilt his wrecked racecar yet?

KT
Lou W
Do you have to remove the windshield and back window too?
Dave_Darling
He was almost done with it last week when I stopped by the shop. He had to modify the front cover to get it to fit the cowl correctly, but it was done and I think painted, or waiting for paint last Wednesday or Thursday. He said he was going to cut the front spoiler section off so he could attach it separately, which would make access to the front compartment easier (don't have to futz with the fasteners on the spoiler, just on top) and make trailer access easier (can remove just the spoiler).

He's thinking of selling it, as the shop isn't doing as well as it had been.

He still has the other tube-framer, though.

--DD
SirAndy
and so the journey begins .... "The Beginning, Part III"

sawzall-smiley.gif smash.gif welder.gif driving.gif
SirAndy
there she is, early in the morning. unsuspecting. calm. looking forward to another joyful day on the road.
little did she know what was about to happen ...

SirAndy
the drive to McMark's shop in napa was pleasant and uneventful ...

IPB Image "Going down the only road I've ever known Like a drifter I was born to walk alone And I've made up my mind I ain't wasting no more time But here I go again" IPB Image
SirAndy
i showed up at the shop around 11:30 ... Dave and Gerry arrived shortly thereafter ...

we stripped the car off of all the bigger pieces, engine, tranny, hoods, doors, seats etc. etc ...

roger showed up just in time for some heavy lifting ( poke.gif ) and mueller and the twins came by to drop off the trailer and lend a few hands ...
smilie_pokal.gif thanks guys, your help was really appreciated! and thanks for the beers dave! and thanks for the trailer mueller! and thanks for the long haul roger! and thanks for the space and tools mark! and thanks for your helping hands and feet dave and gerry ...

SirAndy
and then the fun part. 1 1/2 hours of bay-area friday afternoon parking lot. sometimes also referred to as "freeway" ...
blink.gif

we dropped off the car at yeaman's and i sure hope it's still going to be there tomorrow morning ...

see 'ya'all there for a fun day of celette benching!
drunk.gif Andy
Rand
Way damn cool. Everything about this.

Aaron Cox
goooood luck smile.gif

hope it survives with minimal damage to paint etc
jonwatts
Wow, I expected you guys to be 4 hours behind by now but it looks like things are moving along nicely. I was planning to head up to yeaman's around 11 or 12 tomorrow but you might have everything done by then.

Will there be honest-to-goodness jsharp.gif going on? Seems like a good weekend for it.

SirAndy
QUOTE(jonwatts @ May 26 2006, 09:36 PM) *

Will there be honest-to-goodness jsharp.gif going on? Seems like a good weekend for it.

call jenny and ask. she's the lady of the barbecue ...

chowtime.gif Andy
chunger
Coming tomorrow 'round 11:00. . . smash.gif
JPB
Nice to see you using technologically advanced equipment. As for me a coupl of leveled I beams, a bunch of pull points, plumbline/controle lines on the floor and a dozen comealongs would do the trick. Straight and stiff are relative terms for 914's aren't they?

wub.gif Perfection, now thats a work of love.

Nice thread and good job for this sweet machine.
blabla914
I'm real interested to see how this is done. Nice thread.

Do you always carry a spare engine in the front trunk "just in case".......get it? I know that was bad......sorry.

Kelly
DNHunt
Andy helped make it a lot easier for us by leaving some bolts loose for us like cone screws, CV joint bolts and various other little details.

A couple of things I noticed were a tear in the sheet metal just inboard of the front mount for the passenger torsion bar. The tub sits with the driver's side up about an inch. Enough so I asked Andy to settle it. He compressed that side and it came back to the same spot.

Dave
Katmanken
Ya know,

I was looking at the factory measurements and the Cellette bench pics and realized something. There are a lot of dimensions for key frame points missing from the factory pics- particularly in the vertical.

Ya see, the thought occurred to me that someone with a CAD program could build a 3 Dimensional model of key points.... Front suspension mounting points, shock mount points, engine mount points, etc. and it could become a 914 club resource. idea.gif clap56.gif

With that model and dimensions, one could build a quick and dirty wood or metal model template of key points to check out. Dowels to go into the front suspension mount holes, rod for shock tower, etc...Slap that template on the car and... Hmmmmmm, my front left front shock tower is half an inch to the rear and a quarter of an inch up or whatever.... mad.gif sawzall-smiley.gif welder.gif

Wondered if there was a way you could measure and record those points so that others of us that are thousands of miles from a good bench can check things..... smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif smiley_notworthy.gif

That is, tape measurements of the front suspension mounting holes and measurements from there to the shock tower mounting holes. Be diffcult to get them in 3 dimensions but with enough diagonals CAD could probably capture it off the bench measurement dimensions. Might need a plumb bob and a cheep laser too

I know it's a late suggestion, but I had a coupla beer based idea lubricators last night that let it surface. drunk.gif

Ken

brant
real nice start.
way to go Andy!

brant
GTeener
This is what it looked like when I got to Yeamans at about 2pm yesterday
GTeener
Brad was thinking or had a headache already happy11.gif
GTeener
Then there was work smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
GTeener
And more work... smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif
GTeener
And then the unbending smash.gif
I couldn't stick around till the end though, so someone else will have to post the exciting conclusion...
Joe Bob
Awful lotta guys standing around playing pocket pool.....looks like a Gubmint Staff meeting.... wacko.gif

IPB Image
Randal
QUOTE(GTeener @ May 28 2006, 09:24 AM) *

And more work... smash.gif welder.gif sawzall-smiley.gif

Brad was trying to get his (passenger side) door hung before the guys (Dave, Mark, Randal and Andy) doing the drivers side did. But the drivers side guys WON.

Competition is never far from a 914!

McMark
The credit for the win goes all to you Randal. You were BUSTING ASS on those door bolts. thumb3d.gif
Dave_Darling
Randal was busting ass on everything!! I think he did three or four times as much of the "grunt-work" as anyone else! Helping get the bench cleaned up properly (so the parts that were supposed to be level would be level!), helping get it all bolted together, helping take pieces off the tub, helping bolt the tub to the fixtures, helping put parts back on... Making a run for food... He was everywhere!

--DD
jonwatts
I agree, he even saved GTeener's butt by towing her back to the shop after her 5/50 warranty ran out (5 minutes or 50 feet from the shop).
GTeener
QUOTE(jonwatts @ May 29 2006, 09:25 AM) *

I agree, he even saved GTeener's butt by towing her back to the shop after her 5/50 warranty ran out (5 minutes or 50 feet from the shop).

agree.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif headbang.gif clap56.gif Randall!!!! My Hero!
SirAndy
more updates and pictures here ...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=52631

mueba.gif Andy
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.