Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: my car has been sitting for 8 months
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
fatlando
Finally have gotten off my ass and have started rebuilding my motor...my car has been sitting in the carport the whole time, is there anything i should to the wheels, axle, undercarrige etc.etc before i put the motor back in?

your response would sure ease my mind.

thanx

fat lando
grasshopper
sure, strip it all, fix any rust, por15, undercoat, paint...etc..etc biggrin.gif
Joseph Mills
A few things off the top of my head:

You could at least clean the engine bay and beneath your trunk.

Inspect your plastic fuel line coming out of your firewall and make sure it is in good shape. This is easy to replace with the engine out.

Inspect your shift rod bushing beneath the firewall. Easy to replace with the shift linkage already removed.

Put a hard bright light on the pivot point of your trailing arms. Observe closely and see if there is any looseness while someone violently pushes and pulls on the arm. Could be a good time to replace bushings if needed.

If the tranny is off the motor, take it to the car wash and clean the hell out of it.

Then do this: beer3.gif beer3.gif

biggrin.gif

Hammy
I'd clean. If your engine bay is dirty, degrease the hell out of it and make it pretty. Of course fix any rust problems, if you have any.
So.Cal.914

Yah, slip a six in while your wife isn't looking smoke.gif
Andyrew
Clean, and put new bushings and rubber where you can, or have enough $$$ to.

Motor mounts, trani mounts, shift bushings, ect.

Clean, and be sure to take pictures... because its just gona get dirty again..lol
Joe Ricard
Drain that gas and bleed your brakes. change Oil in Transaxle.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.