Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: splitting case
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
shaggy
i have a dirty 2.0l case that wont come apart

im doing an entire rebuild and need the case opened to see what cam i have and for cleaning

there is some black stuff in the seams it kinda lookes cracked but its not moving

i was holding it by studs and had my brother pulling down ward as i had a friend hitting the seam with a rubber mallet and got no movement

from a said rail guy i heard use a propane tourch w/ a wide flame to loosen it up while pulling

any ideas?

-shag
Click to view attachment
Joe Bob
Keep looking....ya missed a nut.
type11969
make sure you've undone every bolt, even one will stop it from budging. There are some bolts in odd places that can get easily covered in gunk . . . under the crank where the flywheel joins it, under the crank where the pulley joins it, on the bottom of the case hidden amongst the fins, and of course the one hidden between the lifter bores on the oil cooler side.
shaggy
sure i didnt

ive had 5 different people look it all over when it was on my stand and everyone has said they are all out

-shag
type11969
Hmm, does look like that engine has been rebuilt judging by the epoxy over the galley plugs and the brown goo along the seam . . . looks like it might be permatex 3H which cleans up pretty well with acetone. Try some acetone along the seams to see if it loosens the goo up, it might help.
Mueller
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 26 2006, 05:40 PM) *

sure i didnt

ive had 5 different people look it all over when it was on my stand and everyone has said they are all out

-shag

you need a block of wood and a couple of smash.gif
shaggy
acetone huh?

ill have to try that tonight cuz all the bolts you listed i can bemember taking out

the ones under the flywheel and pump i had to use a u-joint thing for

thank
-shag
Joe Bob
There's one or two that require a DEEP SOCKET and you can't really see and are accessed via long extension....if I remember....been awhile since I tore down a T-4.
Jake Raby
If the engine does not split super easily you have a nut left in place.... Do you have my video, I go over EVERY nut because tons of cases are ruined because of ONE nut!

bd1308
NO SCREWDRIVERS

NO NO NO

b
McMark
Try the acetone, but you missed a nut. Notice a trend here? wink.gif
shaggy
hahahahaha

ya i am noticing that

ill go look soon...

-shag
McMark
Is your oil pickup loose in the case? If the pickup doesn't wiggle around that's the bolt you missed. It's very deep in the case and very very easy to miss since it's usually completely covered in sludge.
shaggy
"Is your oil pickup loose in the case?"
ya...i dont know that that is...

care to explain?

-shag
jd74914
My engine had all of the nuts removed and wouldn't budge. I needed to use the hammer and a block to get it open. It didn't split very easily at all. It took me a long time to get it open.
McMark
Once you've removed the large round cover on the bottom of the case there is a tube which is where your oil gets sucked up by the pump. That tube should be very loose in the case. If it feels "attached" it probably is and there's your last bolt.
shaggy
the oil pick up is loose in the case
it moves freely in all dirrections

i can hear/ feel the crank moving too is that means anything

on the driver side of the case(i dont know what cylinder #s corespond to what side)
there is a giant triple square bolt
does that have to come out?
other than that there are no bolts missed im sure of it
id use the acetone but my mommy isnt here to give me her nail polish remover and i dont have a sister... dry.gif

so i guess im out to dinner and will stop and pick some up

-shag
p.s. there tons of rtv on the flywheel side of the case
the main seal is rtved in
and the flat spots have rtv on them and it was placed there it isnt excess

Click to view attachment
idk if this shows them at all but its a try
John
Um,

You do have the OIL PUMP off, don't you?

I just thought I would start asking the obvious first and then narrow it down....

When did Mr Raby get back?
bryanc
The triple square is the oil pressure relief spring, not related holding the case together.
Jake Raby
When did Mr Raby get back?

He is not back yet....

Just working on my new site and pulling my hair out waiting for the changes to upload!

shaggy
well i have acetone now

currently eating my food so soon ill be out there pouring that all over the seam

and yes the pump is off and what a PITA it was to get it off

-shag
John
He is not back yet....

Well then welcome not back yet.
So.Cal.914
How about giving us a pic of all six sides and we will let you know what is up.

It should not take and more than gentle persuasion to split the case so put that

framing hammer away. blowtorch.gif And no blow torchs. smoke.gif

shaggy
ya, ill take pics tomorrow

its dark out there now and im not sure how clear the bolts would be

-shag
sean_v8_914
is that a nut I see bottom center?
shaggy
i see end of crank

i think there WAS a nut and bolt there but i removed it

then under that i think is the endo of the cam, no?

im sure i didnt miss any there

-shag
G e o r g e
did you get the lower of the 2 right behind flywheel location?

shaggy
theres only one behind the flywheel its like 1''-1 3/4'' under the bottom of the mai seal

thats the only nut and bolt on that face of the case

unless theres one that i dont know burried in rtv but i dont think thats the case cuz the rtv isnt near the seam

-shag
messix
QUOTE(shaggy @ Apr 26 2006, 10:24 PM) *

theres only one behind the flywheel its like 1''-1 3/4'' under the bottom of the mai seal

thats the only nut and bolt on that face of the case

unless theres one that i dont know burried in rtv but i dont think thats the case cuz the rtv isnt near the seam

-shag

look at very bottom of case by the lip for the bellhousing,looks like a stud and nut at the bottom of picture.
G e o r g e
i meant here

edit: great pics mcmark
McMark
It does look like a nut right here.
Brando
Definitely give that case a good scrubbing with some solvent or a cleaner of some sort... Once you get a lot of the gunk off of there you'll probably find your missing nut, or two. The bottom ones usually are harder to see on an engine that's leaky.
shaggy
maddeye:
ya i got that one for sure

mcmark:
that one im not too sure about in off to shcool now so itll have to wait until i get home

-shaggy
Richard Casto
I split a case a few weeks ago (first time) and I went throught the same problem. I swear I searched for over an hour for a missing nut and didn't think I could find any. Went upstairs to create a "can't split case" post. But decided instead to search and read any other posts I could find. Everyone one said "you have a missing nut". Jake mentioned in an old post of one that is easy to miss. If my memory serves correctly I think it was not near the perimeter of the case and may have been near that large triple square you mentioned. At the time, I didn't think it was used to hold the case together due to it's location. I removed it and the case came right apart with a few wacks of a rubber mallet.

Someone needs to create a thread with photos of each and every nut pointed out that you need to remove to split a case and put it in the "classics" section.
McMark
Here are all the case perimeter bolts. I only put an arrow to each bolt ONCE, even though the same bolt can appear in multiple pictures. There are 20 bolts holding the case halves together, not counting the big BIG through bolts.

Front Bottom
Click to view attachment

Front
Click to view attachment

Click to view attachment

Rear Bottom
Click to view attachment

Rear
Click to view attachment

Side
Click to view attachment
lapuwali
I vote this goes to classic just for McMark's photos.
Allan
QUOTE(lapuwali @ Apr 27 2006, 11:47 AM) *

I vote this goes to classic just for McMark's photos.

agree.gif
Brian Mifsud
Yes, thanks for that......HEY..I've got a great idea for a 914.Club revenue generator....

rewrite the crappy "HAYNES" manual (just engine section).. but use the graphics as provided on the forum.
McMark
I remade my post into a Classic thread.
shaggy
thanks for the pics mcmark!

i just got home and looked at my case vs your pics
and i didnt miss a single bolt... dry.gif

-shaggy
bd1308
time for the rubber mallet.

NO SCREWDRIVERS

b
Mueller
QUOTE(bd1308 @ Apr 27 2006, 03:05 PM) *

time for the rubber mallet.

NO SCREWDRIVERS

b

rubber mallet??

be a man....use a softblow hammer or a sledge with piece of wood smile.gif

McMark
There are two pins inside that are often sticking points. They are located here. The case pictured is quite difficult to separate. I have to steel wool the pins and the bores so they'll slide together easier.
Flat VW
The Shaggester just went to go do an alarm repair call, he will return soon.

THANKS for helping fellas,

John wavey.gif
John
HEY MAN,

I recognize that case.

I hope it is or will work out for you.

It is nice and clean too.
Dead Air
this one

see my ef'ed up progress thread
get jakes video
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.