Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: I am sure I saw 180 lb springs for sale
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
drive-ability
I saw a set of new 180 lb springs for sale and tried to pm the owner but the site dropped off the map right at that time. Was I dreaming drunk.gif , or did someone else get them? beerchug.gif
Andyrew
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50367

there sold.

I've got a set.. but im using them as spares... Your welcome to try them to see how you like them...

Andrew
drive-ability
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 26 2006, 05:56 PM) *

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50367

there sold.

I've got a set.. but im using them as spares... Your welcome to try them to see how you like them...

Andrew

Andrew (or anyone who my know),
Do they make progressive 180's? The ones I saw looked to be progressive. If so , how are they set up? I assume 180 upon heavy load but do they start out with? John
Andyrew
Progressives work with a two rate spring, The lower rate depends on the spring, and for the first couple inches of compression it is at the lower rate, the higher rate is when the car is under "load"

AFAIK there are no 180 lb progressive springs... you could look on ebay or whatnot... but I would just get 180+ for your car... What do you have on there now?

Andrew
drive-ability
QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 26 2006, 08:38 PM) *

Progressives work with a two rate spring, The lower rate depends on the spring, and for the first couple inches of compression it is at the lower rate, the higher rate is when the car is under "load"

AFAIK there are no 180 lb progressive springs... you could look on ebay or whatnot... but I would just get 180+ for your car... What do you have on there now?

Andrew

Andrew,
I have what I think are 200's, they are real stiff. I realize with a V8 car I need the support but would like a little softer ride. on another note I have a 911 front suspension, are the torsion bars (brown) the same as the 914? The reason I ask is the front is stiff as well.
John
GaroldShaffer
QUOTE(drive-ability @ Apr 26 2006, 04:50 PM) *

I saw a set of new 180 lb springs for sale and tried to pm the owner but the site dropped off the map right at that time. Was I dreaming drunk.gif , or did someone else get them? beerchug.gif

That would have been me. They are sold and shipped already.
Andyrew
I'll trade you straight up john.

Andrew
Dr. Roger
the 911 torsion bars are thicker than the 914's.

i got the same thing going on. some 911 strut housings will take the 914's cartridges..... somewhat softer. torsion splines are incompatible.

QUOTE(drive-ability @ Apr 26 2006, 08:48 PM) *

QUOTE(Andyrew @ Apr 26 2006, 08:38 PM) *

Andrew

Andrew,
I have what I think are 200's, they are real stiff. I realize with a V8 car I need the support but would like a little softer ride. on another note I have a 911 front suspension, are the torsion bars (brown) the same as the 914? The reason I ask is the front is stiff as well.
John

drive-ability
Andrew
I think I should keep my 200's until I know if the 180 will work. If they do or you know they will I may just take you up on the offer.

'Dr. Roger (or anyone who knows)' ,
If I understand you correctly your saying the T/bar splines are different between a 911 to a 914. I have orange koni shocks which I set on soft, but the problem seems to me to be how the T/bars are sprung. They are stiff, I would like a little softer set up. Maybe a coil over design would give me more spring options. I see there are space issues there for springs and alignment. If I had a coil over set up what spring rate would soften up the suspension compared to stock? confused24.gif
Andyrew
Like I said, you could try my 180's. takes 20 mins to swap springs....

Eric_Shea
I think they're talking about the front now Andrew.

John, Do you have a large anti-sway bar? Do you know what size Torsion bars you have in the front?

Koni's on soft should be an awesome ride. You can get coil overs for the front but I think it's more $ than it's worth for what you're asking out of the car. Large T-Bars and Large Sway bars will kill your ride.
drive-ability
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2006, 05:47 AM) *

I think they're talking about the front now Andrew.

John, Do you have a large anti-sway bar? Do you know what size Torsion bars you have in the front?

Koni's on soft should be an awesome ride. You can get coil overs for the front but I think it's more $ than it's worth for what you're asking out of the car. Large T-Bars and Large Sway bars will kill your ride.

The fact is I have stock (brownish color mark) T/bar and no sway bar. I do have 200 lb springs in the rear and that may be holding up the front a bit. I have polly-bronze bushings up front, however there is a small amount of binding still present. Not much however but still not perfect.
John
Eric_Shea
Well... those t-bars should be 18.8mm, slightly larger than a stock 914. I'm puzzled. Are the Koni's Red or Yellow?

Also... 200 in the rear and no front bar huh.gif YIKES!

Poly bronzes shouldn't be an issue.

Hmmmmmmmmmm confused24.gif
9146R
Purdy sure I got a like new set in my garage of 180 lbs....will check and email you Friday. Used 1 or 2 track days...only. Can sell if you still are looking.
Greg Welch
drive-ability
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2006, 07:46 AM) *

Well... those t-bars should be 18.8mm, slightly larger than a stock 914. I'm puzzled. Are the Koni's Red or Yellow?

Also... 200 in the rear and no front bar huh.gif YIKES!

Poly bronzes shouldn't be an issue.

Hmmmmmmmmmm confused24.gif

Sorry the koni's are red and set on soft. I guess I should install the front sway bar? I don't drive the corners hard at all, guess that a good idea with out a front swaybar. drunk.gif

So, the T/bars I have are a bit stiffer than stock 914? Would I be able to feel the difference switching to the stock ones?? MDB2.gif
siverson
I have some 180s for sale. And other stuff...

http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showtopic=50818

-Steve
Eric_Shea
Would I be able to feel the difference switching to the stock ones??

You can't. 18.8 is the smallest you can get for a 911 front suspension UNLESS... I think 914-6 T-bars are 17.8mm. If you could find some of those it may make a difference.

Why the 200's or even the 180's on the rear? That's making a huge issue with ride quality. I may have some 140's available seeing as how I got the 180's you're looking for w00t.gif
drive-ability
QUOTE(Eric_Shea @ Apr 27 2006, 02:12 PM) *

Would I be able to feel the difference switching to the stock ones??

You can't. 18.8 is the smallest you can get for a 911 front suspension UNLESS... I think 914-6 T-bars are 17.8mm. If you could find some of those it may make a difference.

Why the 200's or even the 180's on the rear? That's making a huge issue with ride quality. I may have some 140's available seeing as how I got the 180's you're looking for w00t.gif

I am running a SBC 350, with a 930 transmission I need the heavier springs to support the load. I guess you assumed I had a factory set up... driving.gif
Eric_Shea
Ahhhhhhhhhh indeed. I thought you were stock or close to it.

Makes sense now.

E.
Aaron Cox
FWIW - welt 180's are progressive.

i had em on a 1900 lb 4 banger... and they were a nice ride. not to stiff.

i now have 225 linears in the rear with 22mm t bars up front.

AA
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.