Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Good painting near Berkeley, CA
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
CliffBraun
I am looking into buying a 914, one of the very few problems with it is that it needs a new paint job, badly. I was wondering if anyone had recommendations of a good shop near Berkeley, CA. Ideally not too expensive.
SirAndy
welcome.png

good and cheap usually don't go together when it comes to painting a car, unless you can do it yourself and have access to all the right equipement ...

beerchug.gif Andy
CliffBraun
Hmm, well, What's a realistic price range for painting? and reccomendations would still be helpful.
9146R
Try Tom Martenot at Deutsche Motorsport for referrals. I have seen some nice project cars come out of his shop with good looking re-paints. Not sure if he knows anyone on the "left" side of the Caldecott tunnell. Good luck. 925-689-0232 is his shop in Concord.
Greg Welch
CliffBraun
QUOTE(9146R @ Apr 26 2006, 09:21 PM) *

Try Tom Martenot at Deutsche Motorsport for referrals. I have seen some nice project cars come out of his shop with good looking re-paints. Not sure if he knows anyone on the "left" side of the Caldecott tunnell. Good luck. 925-689-0232 is his shop in Concord.
Greg Welch

Thanks, I'm actually closer to concord but won't be able to drive so I was going to try and have the seller take care of getting it painted, but if it's local I could definately have a friend or my mom or someone drive it to the shop.
Dr. Roger
I heard of this guy in Napa. Got a great reputation.

Prices are proportionate to his quality. Good job. Good price.

Names Mark. AKA "McMark" on this board.... =-)

Give him a call and tell him Dr. Roger sentcha'.

I'll PM you his #.....
CliffBraun
Anyone know where I could find paint codes for 914's?
cobra94563
Hey CliffBraun,

I'm local and will need paint in a couple months. Could you send me a name if you find a paint job? I'd be happy with something under 1500 for OK paint.

chowtime.gif
CliffBraun
nevermind
CliffBraun
That is, about the paint codes, recommendations are still welcome.
SirAndy
QUOTE(CliffBraun @ Apr 27 2006, 08:13 AM) *

That is, about the paint codes, recommendations are still welcome.

contact McMark here on the BBS, he's up in Napa. he shares a shop with a painter guy who does good work for a reasonable price.
they might be able to help you out.

link to McMark's Profile ...
http://www.914world.com/bbs2/index.php?showuser=419

beerchug.gif Andy
Leo Imperial
Andy,
What about the guy that painted your car red?
I remember you telling me how well he followed your instructions smile.gif

McMark's shop does great work, but I would expect it to be a you get what you pay for situation and they only do quality work.

If you are going to paint go to Mark and let his shop do it right. You will get a good price for quality work by guy who know 914's.

Disclaimer - This is just my opinion
Mueller
My mother-in-law just got her old 4 door Mercedes painted in Concord at a place called I "think" Jims Autobody...complete down to the metal strip and repaint with clear coat for $2900.....he gave her a few 50% off coupons and I'll be taking my 914 down there hopefully in a few weeks to get a qoute. (I'm in Antioch, not too far from Concord)

When I was taking my last 914 around the area for price qoutes the best price I got was $1500 from Macco...they showed me a sample of that price job and even my wife commented I'd be better off painting it myself with a brush icon8.gif

You can try looking or posting an ad in Craigslist, the only way to get a paint job for a grand or less is from someone working on the side.]

You might get lucky if you go into Neds Autobody and ask for a recommendation. Tell them it's a VW bug, it's f'n sad how the price jumps up when you mention it's a Porsche headbang.gif
SirAndy
QUOTE(Leo Imperial @ Apr 27 2006, 09:44 AM) *

What about the guy that painted your car red?

Scott's place is not cheap ... $5500 for a complete repaint including some body work ...

smile.gif Andy
neo914-6
Paint and prices vary by the thousands based on quality of materials, your expectations, how much prep work is needed or performed, your cars body condition, if the shop wants to do work on non-insurance jobs, the shop's reputation, high or small volume, etc.

You'll just have to find recommended shops, take the car to them, ask alot of questions, and compare quotes...
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.