Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Parts availability / general questions
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Racer
I am contemplating buying another 914. It would need some parts to make it street legal again.

In particular, Windshield wiper motor, arms, blades etc. Front side marker lights and various lenses. Stock seat belts.

While the car will qualify for and likely use antique tags, I don't need the hassle of getting stopped and being viewed as a source of revenue by the local authorities wink.gif

How available are these components? Am I relagated to used? Are there NOS or modern repros of these pieces?

Of course, this question is intended only for those times the 914club classifieds can't help me out;). Where do folks go for parts?

Just curious what is still available for 35 year old cars. I loved my previous 914, but when I got that one it was "only" 15 years old. Things change.

Love the look of the site. Haven't been here for a bit but really like the improvements!
URY914
All the parts you listed will be used but they are all out there.
Those are the "let's take this off to make a race car" parts.

Go to the classified and place a WTB ad and wait.

P
Racer
QUOTE(URY914 @ Apr 26 2006, 05:53 PM) *

All the parts you listed will be used but they are all out there.
Those are the "let's take this off to make a race car" parts.

Go to the classified and place a WTB ad and wait.

P

That's a bit of the problem. It was turned into a track car (flares, rollbar, 2.4l 4cyl, 5bolts etc) but since I don't trailer, I need to make it back to some level of streetability wink.gif
Joe Bob
Buy a rusty beater and strip it.....
J P Stein
I stripped all that stuff off my car about a year ago & put it
in boxes.....there it sits. I don't have a few of yur items, but most. All in nice shape....& prolly cheep. biggrin.gif
JerryP
Most of those parts are pretty easy to get used. Don't know where you are on the east coast but the rust out here has left a lot of them in boxes in people's sheds.
Dave_Darling
QUOTE(Racer @ Apr 26 2006, 06:43 PM) *

In particular, Windshield wiper motor, arms, blades etc. Front side marker lights and various lenses. Stock seat belts.

Most lenses are available new from a variety of retailers. (Including Pelican Parts.) New lenses are probably a good idea in general, as the old ones can get crazed or cracked pretty easily and the new ones just work better. Plus most of them are not that expensive.

The windshield wiper stuff may still be available new, but if so it will probably be very very expensive. Let's see--the wiper motor is NLA, the "crank mechanism" (the linkage and such) is over $250, the wiper arms are about $35 each... So used is by far a better bet.

Seat belts are NLA new, but http://www.peparts.com can sell refurbished ones. The down-side is that they need an old seat belt as a core. Core charge, IIRC, is really high with them. So you'd need to buy an old used belt and then use that as a core for the refurb.

--DD
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.