Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Weber IDF's
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
ematulac
Looks like that lead plug was in the hole. The plug popped out and my fuel bowl was emptying out into the engine compartment.

Is there a better way to plug that hole?

Click to view attachment
So.Cal.914

Bummer. My own opinion having webers myself and having seen one to many

914's burned up, I would order a new plug for it. Don't mess with it, not with

your fuel system. smoke.gif
Joe Ricard
JB weld. Seriously. New plug is most likely one of those unabotanium pieces.
The plug is pressed in at the factory I doubt you can replicate it. It will leak agan anyway. The hole is a result of the boring process for one of the fuel circuits. Main gas I think.
JB weld is gas resistant. Don't get it inside the hole as it WILL plug the passage and you will then be screwed.
ematulac
QUOTE(Joe Ricard @ Apr 27 2006, 04:31 AM) *

JB weld. Seriously. New plug is most likely one of those unabotanium pieces.
The plug is pressed in at the factory I doubt you can replicate it. It will leak agan anyway. The hole is a result of the boring process for one of the fuel circuits. Main gas I think.
JB weld is gas resistant. Don't get it inside the hole as it WILL plug the passage and you will then be screwed.

JB Weld sounds doable, and I don't even need to run to the store for it.

So I should replace the plug and JB weld it to the outside of the carb?

Here's a close-up of the hole.

Click to view attachment
Joe Ricard
Well you need to get a little bit on the inside. JUST where the mating surfaces are. I would mix up a dab and put it on the plug then push it in. Don't put it in the hole and push the plug in because it will get the epoxy in the hole instead of around the plug.
John
Those are lead plugs.

I had to repair one at Watkins Glen about 16 years ago. Luckily, a 914 guy in the next garage over (Rocky Rookey??) had some round lead slugs used to seal up those holes. I put the round ball in the hole, set it with a punch and sealed up the outside with 2-part epoxy (don't remember if it was JB Weld or not).

The other option (if you are adventurous) is to tap the holes for screw in plugs. This way, they could be removed and reinstalled without having to replace them.

I would be sure to check all the remaining plugs and epoxy over them as well.

When one of my plugs came out, Rocky told me to check the rest and I found another that was about to come out.
ematulac
Thanks, for the help guys.

I thought about tapping those holes and using screw in plugs, too. If I can find the screw in plugs locally I may do just that.
roundboy914
So i was up at RA last fall, running with PCA - on the warm up lap, i was smelling gas. Looked up in front of me, to see who's P.O.S. car was leaking gas. New 993, nice 944 turbo, nudder 993, all nice cars. Then i realized it was my P.O.S. leaking gas. Pull off, into my paddock space, cut off the engine. Ask a buddy to look into the engine compartment while i turn the ignition back on. The second i turn the key, he is holloring 'shut it off' 'shut it off'. Blew out the same plug that you are missing, fulel all over the place. End of the weekend, last run group, nobody around. Let's just say, after a quick trip to the local Farm'n'Fleet, a shaved down wooden dowl, and some 2 part epoxy, i was back on the road headed home.
No that's not a wick, it's a wooden dowl.
Yap in a few allen plugs, and seal it of with JB Weld.
TimT
You can also goo some JB weld on, then insert the plug and stake it with a punch..

hijacked.gif

Rocky Rookey??)

I know him!! from the track and also from the business world. He and his brother run a industrial coatings company
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.