Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: V8 defroster, heater
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
cobra94563
Heater parts are gone. Do you keep the blower just to have the defroster function? Does anyone have neither and regret it?

It doesn't get too cold here in No Cal, and the car is not a daily driver..

Thanks for any comments!

driving.gif
neo914-6
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Apr 26 2006, 11:06 PM) *

Heater parts are gone. Do you keep the blower just to have the defroster function? Does anyone have neither and regret it?

It doesn't get too cold here in No Cal, and the car is not a daily driver..

Thanks for any comments!

driving.gif

A very few 914 V8's have heaters but most do not...

What are you running?
Andyrew
I'll be using an oil cooler at the cowl area with a split vent, one venting outside, one through the dash vents, with a fan behind the oil cooler.

Simple, effective, and will cool the oil for on the track.
1bad914
Mark with the green V8 has a heater core in his. Sits under the dash and if memory serves me right has it vented into the original defrost system. Mark...where are you?
Qarl
QUOTE(1bad914 @ Apr 27 2006, 06:53 AM) *

Mark with the green V8 has a heater core in his. Sits under the dash and if memory serves me right has it vented into the original defrost system. Mark...where are you?

Just look up ceramic 12v heater on google and you'll find a little heater that plugs into your cigarette lighter.

http://www.autobarn.net/halinheat.html
propricer
Found a completely self contained Audi heater that fits very well under the dash but have not as yet installed it. It has a radiator, squirrel fan, controls, etc. and two water lines that can be routed up to the radiator area.

Send me an email at ed.ducey@gmail.com and I'll send you some pix along with one of the part number, etc.

If I can identify what Audi it comes out of, I will install and, if it works, will include a writeup in my book '914-V8 Conversion Reference Manual'.

BTW, similar heaters are available from JC Whitney and Summit Racing for less than $150 or so.

914-8
My 8 has functioning heat and A/C.

The heating is, I think, from Renegade. Basically, it's a small aluminum heater core that is placed in the engine compartment. The stock fan connects to it and draws hot air out of it. Blows the hot air into the 2 large tubes running through the rockers and into the passenger comparment.
nine14cats
914-8's heater core solution sounds like the one from Rod Simpson. I have the Renegade underdash unit that combines the heat and A/C into one unit. But it does not hook into the dash air vents or the defrost.

Bill P.
cobra94563
Thanks for the comments thumb3d.gif
(now I know who's on the board in the middle of the night!!)

Since I don't expect a lot of milage, I like the ideal of the portable electric heater..
cheap and a lot less work than plumbing and/or new venting. ..I closed up the holes to longs when I installed the stiffening kit.

The defroster, I guess I can keep the original, w/o a heat source..or I thought someone might have rigged something to pull air off the radiator...kind of like the oil cooler ideal.

Felix- 283 for now ('cause I had it in my garage and it's a fresh rebuild.)

driving.gif

marks914
Here is ehat I did:

Corvette heater core with an upside down fresh air blower ducted back into the old hot air inlets with vacuum hose. Blows out the original vents just like original (sort of)

Mark

tyler
I just used bilge blowers on the box inlets (they fit perfectly) from where the hoses from the engine used to connect. it sucks in the hot air from the radiator and works fine. ON is with the fuel tank bulkhead seal removed, OFF is with the seal in place. Much better than running more cooling lines around.
Works for me.
neo914-6
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Apr 27 2006, 08:24 AM) *

Thanks for the comments thumb3d.gif
(now I know who's on the board in the middle of the night!!)

Since I don't expect a lot of milage, I like the ideal of the portable electric heater..
cheap and a lot less work than plumbing and/or new venting. ..I closed up the holes to longs when I installed the stiffening kit.

The defroster, I guess I can keep the original, w/o a heat source..or I thought someone might have rigged something to pull air off the radiator...kind of like the oil cooler ideal.

Felix- 283 for now ('cause I had it in my garage and it's a fresh rebuild.)

driving.gif

Other than Mark and Brian I "think" George (Tessera) has an operating heater. I have a capri core in an air box but never plumbed it. Heaters can add another air pocket that can be bad for cooling systems. smrz914 removed his for this reason...
cobra94563
Mark - I bet that keeps things toasty.....maybe overkill for me here in calif.

I noticed your dash face has metal finish - is that aluminum or an adhesive sheet ?
Where'd you get that? I was looking for that or the finish similar Audi's have....kinda perforated alum tape. email or PM if you want
cf30@sbcglobal.net
Chris
marks914
QUOTE(cobra94563 @ Apr 27 2006, 12:19 PM) *

Mark - I bet that keeps things toasty.....maybe overkill for me here in calif.

I noticed your dash face has metal finish - is that aluminum or an adhesive sheet ?
Where'd you get that? I was looking for that or the finish similar Audi's have....kinda perforated alum tape. email or PM if you want
cf30@sbcglobal.net
Chris

Heater works pretty well, I would suggest using a thinner heater core to make it more compact. You could use an original heater fan too to make it smaller yet, I just wanted to have a 3 speed fan.

As to the IP, its brushed aluminum. I fabbed it myself. Its easy, just make a template, cut it out of stock and finish it.

Mark
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.