Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Thermostat Repair ...
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
vesnyder
Just purchased a thermo from a fellow 914Club member and it appears that it does not work? I've done the hot water test and the thing does not expand at all? It appears to be in good shape so I was wondering if these can be repaired? Guidance is appreciated!
davep
I have not heard of them being repairable. It would be difficult to find the leak, and repair it.
tat2dphreak
someone tried to fix one for me, but no go... you would need to braze it, but when you heat the thing it expands more and more, then coolr and contracts much too fast for the solder to hold... good luck...

call HPH when you give up wink.gif

he has them for a good price...
tyler
Considering the price of a new one, it would never be worth the risk of having one mess up. They should even be replaced when they get old....my opinion
Hammy
What's the price of them new?
LvSteveH
You really need to find out the temp range of expansion and contraction to determine if it works or not. Try putting it in your freezer, then measure. Let it adjust to room temp. (70 deg) and measure again. Finally, try some very hot water. Then you'll have some means of comparison.

My guess is that as long as the bellows contracts sufficiently in the freezer or refrigerator, then it's doing it's job. You don't need the flaps closed at 70 degrees. As long as they are closed when it's really cold out, they are going to help speed the warm-up process. Maybe someone has exact specs and can shed more light on the subject.
jhadler
If you only plan on using the car in warm weather, then a thermostat isn't really that important. Leaving it out is also an option. The car may not warm up as quickly when it's cold out, but as far as I know, it's by no means bad for the motor to leave it off. The flaps will close in the safe position, and will give max cooling air to parts that need it.

I ran my car for years without a thrermostat, with no realy problems. Even on cold days, it just took longer for the motor to warm up...

-Josh2
newto914s
What's the word on using a thermostat from other aircooled cars? Namely a type 1.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.