Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Plastic welding, anyone use the cheap kits from Harbor Freight or the
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
Mueller
Got some projects that would be better off being built with plastics such as ABS or PVC.

I've seen the professional type plastic welders and I have no intention of spending that kind of money smile.gif

The pictured unit is less than $40 on eBay and Harbor Freight has them for $30.
Click to view attachment
Dr Evil
popcorn[1].gif Hmmm
Bartlett 914
I have not used one.

There was an article in the Home Shop Machinist awhile ago. One of these was used to make a PVC fender and parts for an electric scooter. He put a pressure regulator in the air line to improve the control of the welder. There was something else but I don't recall. I can send you the pages if you are interested. PM me.

Mark
neo914-6
The plastic welders we had used similar but they had different tips. What else is there to a heating element other than industrial level manufacture?
spunone
Don't tell me your going to weld the stacks togeather with hot plastic laugh.gif av-943.gif
Mueller
QUOTE(Bartlett 914 @ Apr 27 2006, 12:04 PM) *

I have not used one.

There was an article in the Home Shop Machinist awhile ago. One of these was used to make a PVC fender and parts for an electric scooter. He put a pressure regulator in the air line to improve the control of the welder. There was something else but I don't recall. I can send you the pages if you are interested. PM me.

Mark

Hi Mark,

Yes, I have that issue and that is how I found out about the Harbor Freight stuff. I want to say he also used a current or voltage regulator on it.
Bartlett 914
That's what I remember also. I don't remember what he used for the regulator. Look at the wattage. You may be able to wire in a lamp dimmer. I like to use one in a 4" electrical box with a recptical. I am sure you will need a big dimmer. 1000 to 1500 watts. I can't imagine the thing draws more than that.

Mark
Mueller
QUOTE(neo914-6 @ Apr 27 2006, 01:05 PM) *

The plastic welders we had used similar but they had different tips. What else is there to a heating element other than industrial level manufacture?

I'd guess the diameter of the welding rod??

Harbor Freight sucks....on-line thier price is $29, I drive up there and it's $45 and they won't honor the website price headbang.gif

I did buy some 6" digital calipers for $7 and a $199 TIG welder which is about the size of a a toaster (small enough to throw across the garage if I get too irked at it breaking on me or not working smile.gif )

So.Cal.914

I use an IV dremel for stone carving and sessions can go on for hours, I have a foot pedal to control the RPM's. The dremel just plugs into the pedal and the pedal cord plugs into the wall. I put alot of strain on the remote motor at times so I would say that should work in your application. smoke.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.