Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Where to buy paint (DC area)
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
I live outside the DC area, and am looking to spray my new 914 - probably a part at a time. I'm having a hard time finding paint (tried all the little auto stores with no luck). Anyone know:

1. where can I get some good paint
2. what color of white should I get (I don't need an exact historical color, but would like it close if possible). Also, a brand recommendation would be great.

Thanks,
Terry
Mueller
QUOTE(terrymason @ Apr 27 2006, 10:43 AM) *

I live outside the DC area, and am looking to spray my new 914 - probably a part at a time. I'm having a hard time finding paint (tried all the little auto stores with no luck). Anyone know:

1. where can I get some good paint
2. what color of white should I get (I don't need an exact historical color, but would like it close if possible). Also, a brand recommendation would be great.

Thanks,
Terry

Cannot help with the paint store, (yellow pages???), do you have a NAPA or affiliate store there??

As for color, what shade of white do you like if it does not have to be a perfect match? The paint store will have charts or just start looking at cars/trucks around you and note the make and model of the car and as for that....

white might be a little more forgiving, but normally you try to paint the entire car at the same time.....not a panel or part every other week.....

according to this site 914 colors the color "should" be Ivory White, L80E ....the paint shop should be able to find the formula with that number...of course your car could have a custom color on it or has been repainted....

type47
since you're near to DC, check the vw restoration shop in manassas for their recommendation. there is a paint seller on the main drag in manassas (rt 28 past liberia ave where the car dealers are side by side) if you need more exact info, post request here.

there have been paint charts posted here for different shades available different years to help you ID colors.
terrymason
There's a paint dealer in manassas? That's great! My car has been painted at least once before (alot of overspray). I'll drive down 28 this weekend and try to find that store (Sounds like it's down by the NAPA / Auto Zone section).

Mueller - thanks for the paint code - I'm going to try and get something similar (if not the same). Currently my car is 20 % original paint, 60% respray, and 20% rust. I just want it to be all the same color, and will try to shoot it myself.

Thanks for the help guys.

Terry
norustscott
try Mattos...in MD. there is a great location in Rockville off Gude drive. everything you need.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.