Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: Type of oil matter?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
terrymason
A search of the forum didn't really yield anything useful, so I'll ask:

What type of oil and how much should I use when doing my first oil change?

the auto store sold me some max life (valvaline i believe) oil (bought 2 gallons) and a maxlife filter. Does this sound good? I'm not exactly sure how much oil to put in (I heard 9.5 quarts somewhere), so I was thinking about using 2 gallons, then topping off the rest.

oh yeah, it's a 71 1.7

Any advantage to using synethic, or a blend?

Thanks guys, I'm totally new to 914s (and air cooled in general) so any tips are welcome.

Terry
jhadler
I think the guy at the parts store was not able to make the distinction between a 914 and a 911... A 1.7L 914 will typically use around 4 quarts of oil with a filter change. The 9.5 quart number is for 911 motors, which use a dry sump system, and as such, use a LOT more oil.

Weight of oil? That all depends, but a lot of folks have been happy with 20/50W. Synthetics are nice, but if your engine leaks oil, it'll leak even more with synthetic.

10/40 is good in winter, 20/50 is good in summer. Other folks may have other experience. And if someone like McMark or Raby chimes in here, I'd take their suggestions...

-Josh2
mike_the_man
I'd also try and find a better oil filter. Bosch or Mann are my prefered filters, I'm sure others will give better suggestions.
Allan
Something like 3.7 qts. of good dino 20-50w is fine. I use Castrol.

Dump the filter and get a Mahle...
So.Cal.914

I have used synthetic for awhile now, 20/50 and I have been happy with it.
smoke.gif
mike_the_man
Oh ya, I use Amsoil synthetic oil, for what its worth.
davep
Be sure you get a quality filter, the generally available stuff is not very useful at all. The German labels are certainly better. Make sure the rubber ring comes out with the old filter, the last thing you want is to have two rubber rings in place.

Fill the filter with oil first, then install it. Dump in 3 full quarts of oil, start engine to get the oil pressure light out. Shut down engine and check the level. Add more oil, from the first bottle used to fill the filter, until you get to the high line on the dipstick.
Tobra
I like to pull the coil wire and turn it over a few times, to circulate the oil, recheck level, top up and then start it, but I am sort of compulsive. If you are not familiar with spin on oil filter because of VWitis, put some oil on the new filter's rubber seal too.
Tom Perso
I'm a HUGE fan of Shell Rotella T, 15W-40. It's a diesel oil, therefore having a higher zinc content. Zinc helps reduce scuffing and really helps with solid lifter motors.

Use that and a good Mann filter and you're set.

Tom
terrymason
Thanks everyone - I'm a Jeep guy who just got his first 914, so I'm learning as I go.

Terry
cnavarro
Go read http://www.LNengineering.com/oil.html. I've been doing independed oil testing- I have 30+ oils already tested and I have another batch of 30 to test once I have some disposable income to throw at Stavely.
jr91472
QUOTE(cnavarro @ Apr 28 2006, 04:29 AM) *

Go read http://www.LNengineering.com/oil.html. I've been doing independed oil testing- I have 30+ oils already tested and I have another batch of 30 to test once I have some disposable income to throw at Stavely.

Thanks Charles smilie_pokal.gif Very interesting.

I am probably guilty of changing my oil too much.....
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.