Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: whats it worth?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
bodyman
I have a 1973 914 2.0 its completely original never altered or customed out. it has a rebuilt 5 speed trans, but the car has been sitting since 1991. It had been started monthly up till about a year ago and it was put in storage and has not been started. The car will need restoration, it has very minimal rust, and only one dent on the car (on the front drivers fender) I will post pics, I have replacement door handles, a wing window and windshield trim. Really I dont have a clue as to what to ask for it, any help would be appreciated.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
You can e/mail me at Gqsmoothy73@aol.com
Michael
VaccaRabite
Where do you7 live? Location means a lot to the value of these cars.

Also, how long has it been sitting in the rain? Both of the sail panels look to have rust on them. Pull the rockers and post pics of that area. Show us pics ofthe hell hols (the area under the battery). All these things wil have a large impact on final value.

Zach
GWN7
Does the car run now? That is the most important question you will get if you sell it. Cars that run = $$ If It's a roller way less than if it was running, no matter how much you say it ran before.

Where is is it #2 (beside somewhere up North where the trees haven't budded out yet)

When selling, buyers if they are smart want to see pics of the longs, below the battery tray, interior and both trunks. Also pictures of the car on a sunny day so you can see if the body is twisted. Also wash the front hood....
rick 918-S
location, location, location... Photos of the typical rust areas are needed too.
914forme
It is a striped 74, these are great cars depending on the combo it has. the SCCA stock class auto-xer in me likes the 74 with only the sway bar option. that being said, depending on where you are, and if you want to deal with Ebay, $300 - $500, you really don't have anything good to stand on here except maybe a set of 2.0L heads. The Iron oxide etc.... I hate to say this makes me think sawzall-smiley.gif

Hate to be this blunt but it ain't no 5K 914, of course you can get a wrecker to come and get it, if you get lucky scrap metal prices are still up, they might pay you $50 bucks.

Got to go wash up now - I feel like an A$$ for telling it like it is.

PM me if your in ohio - I could use that windshield Doah!!
bodyman
I am in Oklahoma, The car does run, But I will have to run a new key switch. I certainly know its not a 5k car the way it is. I own a custom paint and body shop, and I was contemplating on repairing the rust issues and the dent, putting a nice black paint job on it. does it kill the value alltogether to change the motor to something other then Porsche ? it would be real easy for me to have a 2.3 L built by esslinger engineering then I could Bypass all the factory computer controlled injection, and have a damn fast car. I just dont know if I want to bite into this project. The paint and rust would be the easiest for me since I have the facility to do so, But I surely do not want to refurbish the old 74 engine harness and so on. I also have a spare car that use to be a race car that I could use the front and rear pans off of to change the look of the car. the other one is suppose to be a Le mans edition, But I have never heard of one, I also have never seen one with the front and rear roll pans should I chop them up and make one custom or what ? I want to know the addiction factor befor I stick the needle in my arm Ya know. here are some pics of the 73 body I have.
IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image
Michael
JeffBowlsby
New engine harnesses are available for reasonable $....

BTW whats the VIN on your car?
GWN7
Ahhh a mid west car...we all know they never rust (except when they are 914's)

If the car runs and all it needs is a switch ( and you can do the body & paint ) then have at it and leave it stock. No need to cut up the other car and transplant non original parts on to it (stock cars go up in value faster than modified ones, unles they are certain race heritage cars)

As to the engine harness, there is a member in the Resource section of the board who can help you with the repair/replacement.

There was no Le Mans edition of these cars. There was a LE (Limited Edition) or a Can-Am edition. I'm not at home to post the links to the LE cars, but if you can post the serial number of the 74 someone will be able to tell if it's in the known production range of the LE cars.

The orange car, altho interesting, would need various modifcations to be street useable again. The front and rear treatmens look interesting, but not functional to be used as a street car or on a track with out some sort of bumpers.

If they were mine, I'd fix up the 74 and keep it stock. Then I'd fix up the 73 and drop a SBC in it. Nice truck BTW

Ah...there he is now...see the links in his sig for info on the LE cars smile.gif
bodyman
here is the vin for both? is there any place that decode the Vin #s for the 914 ? vin # 4732917543
bodyman
I tried to start it today, and when I turn the key a round black fuse on the top left side of the inside fuse panel clicks but thats it, It doesnt seem to be sending it all the way to the starter.any Ideas on how to make a bypass starter button?
bodyman
Ok I posted the Vin # 4732917543 correctly I grabbed the vin information from a car a client is trying to sell me. , sorry about that.. also both the cars are 73s I confused all of it.
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.