Help - Search - Members - Calendar
Full Version: 2.2 in the race car?
914World.com > The 914 Forums > 914World Garage
seanery
I think I'm gonna sell the 2.7 that was going into the race car.
I went to the Porsche Thunder at Putnam Park (Indy) this weekend.
Of the 4 914s running 2 were 2.2-6's (1 weber, 1 slide valve), 1 was a 2.0-4 and the other a 1.7.
The 1.7 is a fast car. I talked to him last year and was very impressed by the car AND the driver.

The 2.2 seemed a pretty good match for a 914. It would keep me in a slightly slower class, but a very competitive one.
Any thoughts?
redshift
2.7 sounds fun, but the sane conversions that make sense to me are 2.4, and 3.0/3.2

2.4 a bit mild, but not as stressed as the 2.7, I care, because it's hot here, and I can be a tach monkey.

3.0/3.2 because that can be made nearly bullet proof, and last as long as a paintjob.

Take into account the only thing I race is myself.

Now, about that MFI...

M
TimT
the 2.2 in a 914 is a great match. In PCA that would put you in GT-5 class. There are some guys who turn amazing times in GT5 914's, Ive heard they get the cars down to about 1600 or less pounds, then build these 220 horse 2.2 screamers..

All this takes cubic money though...

Look

look again
campbellcj
I went with the 2.2 specifically for the reason of staying back one class from where the crazy money and super experienced driver tiers kick in, at least here w/ POC. I can still have fun, learn a lot, and be reasonably competitive with enough seat time. It would really suck to put a whole shitload of money (to us 914 guys) into a car in the "big dog" classes and then run back of the pack every day because the guy next to you has a $35K race motor, data acq telemetry, $500/ea tires, and pro trackside support.

Also at least here with POC etc., once you get to a certain point (class) you basically "have to" run flares or a widebody kit to have anywhere near the rubber the competition is running. I wanted to run a narrowbody car (for now). $500-$700/set for tires.

I guess there are a few "insane" cars and drivers in the smaller displacement classes, like Jim Patrick's 2.0 HSR car, but that does not seem to be the norm out here in SoCal.

IMHO there is a very fine line between fun, and frustration.
d914
2.2 liter 6 in my area lets you race in pca and HSR and while you may not be podium you wont be a rolling chicane.

The 2.5 lets you into HSR same class as the 2.2 but the 2.5 gets you in PCA is trouble. The 2.8 getto blasters. On eastcoast it doesnt matter much once you get out of gt5 all the times are the same. At gt4 car sat on pole against gt 3,2,1's. Very, very very fast company.
I haven't looked at PBOC yet but thats a whole different animal. smilie_flagge24.gif
This is a "lo-fi" version of our main content. To view the full version with more information, formatting and images, please click here.
Invision Power Board © 2001-2024 Invision Power Services, Inc.